Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:55 AM, Celestia said:

He just wants to help, okay?! ;_;

In all seriousness, and on a related note, if Tails A.I. is in here, I wonder if they'll just copy from S3's or update it. Surely there's something they could do to make the A.I. less, err, troublesome in certain situations.

"I was just trying to help!"

hqdefault.jpg

In the Sonic 1&2 remasters Tails follows Sonic more closely-reacts quicker to his movement which in-turn fixed the problem of Tails following in the special stages. I don't think they need to add anything else. I've never seen Tails following as a problem. I wouldn't want Tails to automatically attack enemies without Sonic moving first, because then he could become a hindrance. His benefits far outweigh his weakness.

I'd like it if a second player could take control of Tails in Mania like you could in Sonic 2&3.

Except when he attacks the boss right before you do and you end up falling to your death in the worst cases...

Twin tailed bastard fucked me up a plenty (and still does) when I replay old levels like Chemical Plant and S3&K's Death Egg robot.

Yeah that's annoying, but just adapt. When you open up the Death Egg Robot let Tails attack first then attack with Sonic. You just need to keep an eye on Tails movement.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, BenderMania said:

I'd like it if a second player could take control of Tails in Mania like you could in Sonic 2&3.

*nitpick*

you could have added Sonic 4 to that list

*/nitpick* :P

Seriously though, add me to the list of people with their fingers crossed that this sucker gets a physical release. Sega had a habit for pulling under preforming games off the shelves a while back, I see no reason why you wouldn't want to put a fine example like Mania in the public eye to replace them.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, molul said:

Awesome live reaction to Sonic Mania trailer :D By the way, talking about reactions, I've seen a lot of youtube videos named "Reaction to Sonic Mania". Do people really care about someone's reaction to an announcement (or does the person who reacts think that people care about it)? Man, voyeurism is getting really high nowadays XD

Re-reading some replies, I'm not sure I explained well in the above quoted post.

What I meant is that this is nice to see (for me):

But videos like this one are ridiculous (for me):

Just that ;) 

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I'm not quite sure that there's much of a discernible difference between the two example videos of similar content but not exactly the same.

22 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

To be honest I'm not quite sure that there's much of a discernible difference between the two example videos of similar content but not exactly the same.

The first one is genuine and recorded at the time of the global announcement, the second one is almost certainly fake.

Tails follow is cool, but what about Sonic + Amy? Or + Knuckles? Kinda like Sonic Advance 3, but not necesseraly with team moves. Perhaps just a change leader option :) Also, if any character follows, the second player must be able to control :V

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonikko said:

The first one is genuine and recorded at the time of the global announcement, the second one is almost certainly fake.

Eeeeexactly. Or if not fake, totally overreacted.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Celestia said:

He just wants to help, okay?! ;_;

In all seriousness, and on a related note, if Tails A.I. is in here, I wonder if they'll just copy from S3's or update it. Surely there's something they could do to make the A.I. less, err, troublesome in certain situations.

A lot of the problems to my recollection are with you passing straight through bosses when Tails hits too soon before you. Just make the player bounce off a boss as though they damaged it, even if it's during their grace invulnerability and the damage doesn't apply. Bam, fixed.

• Thumbs Up 9

5 hours ago, Sonikko said:

Fake? I totally disagree. I and my friends act like that all the time when something big and exciting get's announced. Raising your voice a little and messing around for fun is not what I would consider fake. Now if he obviiously pretended to cry then sure but shouting a bit is just having fun.

Since people were throwing their 2 cents on which zones they want to see re-imagined, here are mine:

Sonic 1: Green Hill

Sonic 2: Mystic Cave or Oil Ocean.

Sonic 3: Unless Mania doesn't have an original snow zone, I'll have to say Ice Cap. But then again, Hidrocity is also a must have. And a Launch Base deactivated would be totaly rad too. THIS IS TOO HARD. I'm happy with anything, except maaaaaaaybe Angel Island.

S&K: Really can't decide, would be happy with anything except Mushroom Hill and Sky Sanctuary for obvious reasons. I think Lava Reef has my heart if Mania also doesn't have an original lava/fire zone.

Sonic CD: QUARTZ QUADRANT. No doubt about, the aesthetics, the music, the everything. ALL OF IT, GIVE ME.

Also, Taxman, if you are reading this, DO DESERT DAZZLE.

• Thumbs Up 4

We could make a list about which stages we'd like to see redone for this... and I suspect it would look an awful lot like the list of wanna-shoulda-coulda back from the old Generations thread.

Mystic Cave / Ice Cap / Doomsday

You'll get no complaints from me for any of the old vanguard options. Its actually kind of cool that some of the stages that missed the boat in Generations will get a second shot at getting redone. I just hope that the devs choose to skip over the ones we got in the two versions of gens (Outside of Green Hill of course). As much as I like Chemical Plant, Mushroom Hill and Sky Sanctuary, there is a large enough library here so that some other classics get a chance to shine.

What do you guys think about the over/under on getting a non-classic stage done in 2D for this? Unleashed's Dragon Road could be pretty slick in sprite format. I'd be fibbing if I didn't say that I would feel slightly jobbed with a 50/50 split between remakes and original stages (my own working theory atm) but a 3D stage brought back to life as an old school mod would be pretty slick and help ease that burden. Kind of like how Gens re imagining things in planes for which they were not intended worked out pretty well. (Chem plant was awesome and creative in 3D as was City Escape in 2D)

Some off-screen footage, check out 2:35 for the way to access that Special Ring

• Thumbs Up 3

god, every bit i see off of this game makes me fall in love with it even more.

I have waited so freakin' long for a worthy sequel to S3&K. I still can not believe that it is finally happening, after all this years.

2017 can't come soon enough.

Man, seeing the Drop Dash in action makes me love it even more. Such a great idea to keep the game moving, and it seems you can spam it as much as you did with Adventure's Spin Dash which is damn good too. And holy crap, the locations for those Special Stage rings are clever!

I seriously can not wait to get my hands on this game!

Some people have been saying that most likely should any of the later three zones of Sonic 3 be included in this game, they will have different music, and that does seem accurate.  Thankfully here are two fantastic and unique recordings of the Genesis/Megadrive versions' music including Ice Cap by Tee!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of special stages I wonder if we're going to be getting blue spheres/half-pipe stages again or something entirely new? Personally wouldn't be too upset if it was just blue spheres again but i'd definitely like something that we haven't had before.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know it's not going to happen, but it'd be cool if the rest of the reimagined stages were from 8-bit games. I think that's more interesting than going from 16-bit to 32-bit.

• Thumbs Up 3

For the life of me I try to understand and even try to do reaction videos. I just can not understand it. Believe me i am happy about both games and excited but when they were shown I was like omg yes! but no where to the level you see some people screaming running around, flipping babies and acting as if its the best thing to happen to them since sour skittles.

Anywho I just wonder when this takes place story wise. Im guessing before the adventure series. based on sonics look.

I do think there is a chance of at least some references to 8bit Sonic zones!  Studiopolis is a bit of a reference to Gigalopolis and Sunset Park without losing any of its originality.  Yes, Bridge Zone seems like something many people on the team (Taxman, Stealth and Tee if not more!) are aware is a much loved moment in Sonic history that would be amazing in this graphical style and with a bit more development.  A Hill Top / Bridge Zone / new ideas hybrid could be unimaginably great!!

• Thumbs Up 1

aBYQ63V.gif

Ha, cool throwback to S3&K; Flying Battery had a couple of Special Stage rings accessed in a similar manner, if I recall. 

Also that ring animation gives me the strongest SotN/NitM vibes:

tumblr_nju0vdAmc31tah9pwo4_500.gif

WE SEGA SATURN NOW, BABY

• Thumbs Up 5

So you will be able to access special stages via giant rings, like in 3&K? Fine with me. I'd prefer brand new special stages unrelated to the ones from Sonic 1 - 3&K. Would quite like to see separate bonus stages as well.  It would be cool if they used the special stages from the classic games (like Chaotix tubes stages) for inspiration when designing a bonus stage.

I like the three faint Sonic animations which follow Sonic when he takes a 'fast-shoes' monitor. I guess that was inspired by Hyper Sonic's animation. I wonder what Super Sonic will look like???

Spoiler

LIKE A BEAST!

• Thumbs Up 4

Title Screen reminds me a bit of Yoshi's Island. The rotating island in the background.

9 minutes ago, BenderMania said:

like the three faint Sonic animations which follow Sonic when he takes a 'fast-shoes' monitor. I guess that was inspired by Hyper Sonic's animation. I wonder what Super Sonic will look like???

Hide contents

LIKE A BEAST!

Now you have me wanting Super Tails and Hyper Sonic xD

Oh God, does this mean we ain't getting Taxman's Sonic 3&k remake?