Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

27 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Having a week off to play a new Sonic game would take me back to my childhood... when I had every week off to play a new Sonic game :) 

*takes a month out of work* Well....I gotta beat it with Sonic & Tails first, then Knuckles, then Tails, then Knuckles again, then Sonic (alone) and finally Knuckles Knuckles & Knuckles :P

That's the beauty of the classic games, REPLAY VALUE. I'm gonna be playing Mania A LOT

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

*takes a month out of work* Well....I gotta beat it with Sonic & Tails first, then Knuckles, then Tails, then Knuckles again, then Sonic (alone) and finally Knuckles Knuckles & Knuckles :P

That's the beauty of the classic games, REPLAY VALUE. I'm gonna be playing Mania A LOT

And pray that the game features Knuckles and Tails... or Tails and Tails!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

Lucky you! I'd love to be able to book a day off work......I wish

Well....I'll call in sick. done that a few times in the past, since i know my boss isn't that likely to give a day off. nothing can stop me from mah mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also this may have been said before but who else thinks "EggMania Zone" would be an awesome name for the last stage? 

• Thumbs Up 9

7 hours ago, Sonicfan287 said:

A release date is pretty much all I want at this point (that and a demo lol) 

even if the wait is a few months I'd at least like to know and just have a date in my mind. If it's releasing sooner than that, even better.

Honestly just preparing for the worst case scenario in terms of release date because that delay was kind of a punch in the gut after we had finally been getting more info about the game. It looked like the announcement was imminent and then we get news of the delay and it's back to silence. 

So as much as I'm hoping we get the release date for real at e3, I also wouldn't be surprised if Aaron says "whoops, games delayed until fall" 

Then again it has already been ESRB rated so that's a good sign 

That release window of Spring 2017 was also given to us last July. Think about how much things could change or come up during that time. There's a good reason a lot of games fail to meet their initial release window: game development is complicated. Even for something as "small" as Mania.

The fact that it has an ESRB rating now and they're already teasing an impending release date reveal should be a good sign that they're not going to miss their Summer window, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Could one of Mania's new Zones be based off one of those unused concepts? Could the teaser image shown at SXSW belong to "Ocean Wind Zone", "Blue Lake Zone" or "Tropical Plant Zone"? We don't know absolutely anything about such scrapped Zones, I bet Whitehead himself didn't know until very recently! So, if one of them is included, it would totally feel completely new!

I have a feeling that Mania's new zones will be 80% unused zones, and 20% totally new zones. (counting Studiopolis)

I doubt Wood Zone or Genocide City won't be in it.

I think we can count Wood Zone and Genocide City Zone out -the former is actually deconfirmed, thanks Indigo Rush! :wacko:-, because I doubt CW would consider them to be "entirely new" when asked about the remaining new levels, almost everyone knows about them. There's also the thing about Genocide, maybe a Cyber City Zone?

Edited by Ajavalo
Screwup
  • Thumbs Up 3

37 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

We don't know absolutely anything about such scrapped Zones, I bet Whitehead himself didn't know until very recently!

It was stated in some interview that when they began development on this project, Whitehead and the team were given access to a WEALTH of scrapped development art/ideas that the public has never seen before. I kind of believe that Whitehead and the team already knew of these "scrapped zones" way before we knew of them.

Sega really is pouring in as much fuel into this team to ensure they make a quality product that brings homage to a lot of secrets and Easter Eggs.

I personally believe when he says "New", he means NOT a remake of those old ideas. Maybe portions of those ideas will get incorporated into the new levels, but I don't believe they would take an old scrapped level trope and rebuild it, since he said that everything is new. He didn't say "new for us", he simply said "new".

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, now that I said "Cyber City"... I really want a level in line with Techno Base, Cyber Track and Mad Matrix! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like the inside of a castle or cathedral to me. Perhaps this is where our mace-wielding Hard-Boiled Heavy hails from?

• Thumbs Up 8

31 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

DAiE6TdXkAAgvNI.jpg

That sure looks like Classic's running sprite to the left. Hrm. It'd make sense to be Mania given the rest of the poster's layout, but no idea what this is. 

SAYING THAT: The lack of HUD indicates this may well just be concept art. Could be for either Forces or Mania tbh. 

If it really is from Mania then maybe we just saw a new zone, even though it somewhat reminds me of Hydrocity.

Is there any way to extrapolate how the picture is supposed to look?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Auroxen said:

If it really is from Mania then maybe we just saw a new zone, even though it somewhat reminds me of Hydrocity.

Is there any way to extrapolate how the picture is supposed to look?

I fiddled with it a bit but you're not going to get much detail out of something so small and distorted.

Am7ySsR.png

• Thumbs Up 7

Image result for gothic cathedral interior

Yeah, I'd definitely say a Gothic cathedral or a castle. While it's difficult to make out, the path ahead of Sonic looks like it might be made of stained glass.

If it is a Gothic cathedral, then that's another potential favourite in the bag for me.

• Thumbs Up 5

51 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I fiddled with it a bit but you're not going to get much detail out of something so small and distorted.

Am7ySsR.png

Honestly, I think it looks more like a classic Sonic stage from Forces rather than from Mania.

It looks a bit like the stage they teased at SXSW. Can we have a side by side comparison, please? 

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Am7ySsR.png

It's difficult to work out what it is, but all I can tell you is that it's most likely a new stage for Sonic Mania, I'm calling it Cathedal Zone for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm seeing clockwork tower elements in the sloped path to the right, not sure if it's the low quality deceiving my eyes. That teaser image had what looked like a gear, so why not?

And what's that thing to the right of Sonic? I'm seeing a bearded guy with yellow eyes, no body and tiny legs! Seriously!!!