Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

remember the hard boiled heavies? looks like we just saw the stage for the yellow marked one.

HardboiledHeaviesOutline.png

• Thumbs Up 3

See this is why I want a release date, because I'd rather not know about new zones, even tangentially.

15 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

I'm seeing clockwork tower elements in the sloped path to the right, not sure if it's the low quality deceiving my eyes. That teaser image had what looked like a gear, so why not?

Clock ork Zone! How I missed thee!

It does looks like the inside of some castle/cathedral/clockwork tower! I shall call it... Cathedral Chaos!

Okay, having seen this better quality picture, now I 100% agree the top right image is a brand new Mania zone. 

DAiyGFmW0AAOtHE.jpg

Perhaps it's part of the new zone already teased?

Image result for ew sonic mania zone teased

2 hours ago, BlueParadox said:

*Patiently waiting*

Ooooooh. I can't wait to see it up close.

Looks fucking cool. Guessing we'll hear more tomorrow. This was shown for a reason. 

Yeah, I'm getting some Symphony of the Night vibes from this tbh. Looks rad.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's so goddamn beautiful. Every new stage in this game is my new favourite stage (at least for their art anyway). Roll on E3!

• Thumbs Up 9

21 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Took a shot at cleaning it up. Definitely some kinda creepy gothic castle sort of stage.

869zUOC.png

Sonic in a cathedral?

Transformation into Jesus the Godhog confirmed.

• Thumbs Up 4

34 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:
...actually, I think this is ingame. Holy shit. 

If it was in-game, wouldn't it have the HUD at the top-right? The Studiopolis Act 2 screenshot has the game HUD, but this doesn't. I'm leaning towards the picture being concept art or a mock-up TBH.

Though if that really is in-game....wow.

This new cathedral environment looks amazing! Seeing that original blurry image made it look kind of gray but in the more detailed thumbnail the colors seem to pop a bit more. 

For whatever reason I have a feeling the name of the castle will have "Marble" in it somehow, like Marble Palace or something . I also like the idea of it being a clock tower and having Sonic navigate through gears and rotating clock hands. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow...the level of detail and beauty...the unique level trope...we're in for a treat. What an awesome find!

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

If it was in-game, wouldn't it have the HUD at the top-right? The Studiopolis Act 2 screenshot has the game HUD, but this doesn't. I'm leaning towards the picture being concept art or a mock-up TBH.

Though if that really is in-game....wow.

I'm sure it's possible to edit out the hud to make a promo image of a stages background. Either way I doubt this is concept art as it appears to be in the 16 bit style of the game and doesn't appear handrawn or even computer rendered 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Sonicfan287 said:

I'm sure it's possible to edit out the hud to make a promo image of a stages background. Either way I doubt this is concept art as it appears to be in the 16 bit style of the game and doesn't appear handrawn or even computer rendered 

That's why I also said it could be a mockup. The pic could had been made by the dev team fudging together existing assets, but it's not actually an in-game screenshot.

• Thumbs Up 2

You guys ever heard of a close-up picture?

It's not hard to ZOOM IN just enough so the hud isn't shown so viewers can focus on the stage itself and not on the text and/or icons around the border...

...Bit of a derp kind of moment here.

When I look at this image and imagine what the rest of the stage will be like I keep thinking of the Sonic 2 hidden palace music for the theme. I know they won't use that since it's already been used in the Sonic 2 mobile remake but I can't wait to see what Tee Lopes will have in store for music on this kind of theme 

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

You guys ever heard of a close-up picture?

It's not hard to ZOOM IN just enough so the hud isn't shown so viewers can focus on the stage itself and not on the text and/or icons around the border...

...Bit of a derp kind of moment here.

If it was a close-up of an existing image, Sonic and the environment would look a lot larger than they do here. The sprites / assets here look like they are at their normal size. Moreover, the game's aspect ratio, while widescreen and bigger than the previous Genesis games, doesn't allow for that much space of the right side of the screen to be shown.

Just now, Gabe said:

If it was a close-up of an existing image, Sonic and the environment would look a lot larger than they do here. The sprites / assets here look like they are at their normal size. Moreover, the game's aspect ratio, while widescreen and bigger than the previous Genesis games, doesn't allow for that much space of the right side of the screen to be shown.

It's also just as easy for developers to "turn off" the hud for shots of the game.

It's wasting time speculating over something simple.

Oh shit dawg, I don't want spoilers, but this looks so cool.... ?? I'm digging the colors, it's definitely a new zone, and the screenshot was taken right at the beginning of the level, as Sonic is far on the left. It looks like the inside of a cathedral... It reminds of the one in Stardust Speedway's background (in the past)! Oh shit, what if?!

scd-ss-point2img2.png

• Thumbs Up 9

1 minute ago, Jango said:

Oh shit dawg, I don't want spoilers, but this looks so cool.... ?? I'm digging the colors, it's definitely a new zone, and the screenshot was taken right at the beginning of the level, as Sonic is far on the left. It looks like the inside of a cathedral... It reminds of the one in Stardust Speedway's background (in the past)! Oh shit, what if?!

Too bad the "nostalgic seniors" at SEGA had to tell them "CELEBRATE THE OLD DAYS!!" after Generations already having happened just a few years ago and Forces doing what it's doing now.

Imagine an entirely new title without any of the old stages despite their new coats of paint.