Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

That detail, though. I have a feeling this game is going to be better than I thought it was going to be, and my expectations were already really high. Need that release date, yo.

Yes! ^_^  It wasn't quite indicated yet that Mania would have pixel art that is as profound as this!  We are seeing it from what is a very skillfully restretched odd angle and at a lowish resolution and it still is quite clear that this is as you are saying, even more special than anyone expected! 

9 hours ago, Tenko said:

If it is a new zone and not a reimagined one it's also a bit sad spoiler wise. We already know of two new zones, and if there are only 5 new zones based on the amount of HBH bosses then we will now know 3/5 of the brand new zones. Would rather see another reimagined one so we have seen two of each before release rather than all the new ones being shown off before launch. 

Even as someone who doesn't get that worked up about spoilers I feel the same, honestly. Yes it's exciting, but there presumably aren't too many new zones in Mania, so having them spoiled early is a bit unfortunate. It is cool to find something like this, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Even as someone who doesn't get that worked up about spoilers I feel the same, honestly. Yes it's exciting, but there presumably aren't too many new zones in Mania, so having them spoiled early is a bit unfortunate. It is cool to find something like this, though.

There are a few suggestions that it may not be from an actual zone proper!  It could be from a hub space or bonus stage!  One would think that the team signed off on allowing this screen to be included in the promotion, so, it must not be too big of a spoiler; they have been rather careful so far! 

About not seeing all zones before playing... I dunno. I remember reading reviews of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles in videogame magazines back in the day, with all kind of details (zones names, screenshots, gimmicks detailed, special stages revealed, bosses, items, etc), and it didn't ruin my experience with the games.

I think we're more paranoid with the "spoiler" concept nowadays. Like if we know nothing about something, we'll enjoy it much more. Ok, it wouldn't have been the same (in S&K for instance) knowing about the Doomsday Zone, or seeing the moment when Knuckles realizes Eggman was the bad guy, and stuff like that. But seeing the zones name and aesthetics? Maybe we're a bit overreacting here. Just sayin'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, in general I don't think it's THAT bad...especially since I'm not the type to mind spoilers immensely. I think the reason I have a problem is that I'm assuming there aren't very many all-new stages to begin with, which makes me want to savor them as much as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it's better to avoid forums like SSMB until Mania is released, than asking Sega not to reveal anything :) I prefer coming here everyday searching for any news, although I hope Sega doesn't reveal something really big!

On the other hand, once the game is released, I think I won't come here until I finish it, as there would be huge spoilers everywhere.

Am I the only one who wishes they would tease us more often but with smaller things?

Like, as cool as it is to see a whole zone in action, wouldn't it be exciting to be teased like a single sprite? Maybe one animation? Maybe a small bit of the background? Maybe a in-game screenshot? If they do smaller teases, but more often, I feel like these weeks/months between reveals wouldn't be so painful.

It's like, getting paid 1 time per month is awesome because you get a massive check at the start of every month. But the days inbetween suck because you know you aren't getting anything for a long time. I'd rather get paid weekly in smaller chunks to keep a steady flow of cash.

Getting 1 GIANT reveal at random intervals is cool when they happen, but then it sucks for the other 90% of the time. Getting small tiny reveals but more constantly keeps the hype rolling and gives us something to chew on. What if instead of saving up to reveal something big in Flying Battery zone, they just show a new screenshot of the zone every 3-4 days? Or maybe a new sprite from an unknown zone? They don't have to reveal the zone, and they don't need to have the level polished completely before showing it, they just are showing a fraction.

I personally would have loved this method way more, as then i get excited more often, rather than just a few moments of excitement.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They tried that with Sonic 4. It wasn't that interesting.

Maybe it was the game's fault, as people were more interested on how classic the game actually was, than in the game's content.

Mania has all classic fans excited, for obvious reasons. It would make sense teasing something from time to time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On whether or not this zone is the same as the one in the teaser image: my guess is that the bits of red at the bottom of the teaser are petals and the sky background is actually being seen through one of those windows. The yellow used in the cog might even be the same used in the tall object behind Sonic. So... Clockwork Cathedral Zone? Maybe featuring Hyudoros and some of the other time-based gimmicks in Sandopolis?

maniatease.png

Nirbion pic.jpg

Edited by LividOrca
word change
  • Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, LividOrca said:

maniatease.png

Nirbion pic.jpg

So now only I'm noticing in the second one that plants aside, there's a fish statue near what looks like a bridge.

Makes me wonder if this is a castle level with bits of water areas on it?

Also the first pic looks more like a new ice level/water level, (maybe both?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Castle... water... fish... pillars... big ass gothic windows.

Guys, what if this is indeed Hidrocity Zone?

bghydrocity01.pnghydrocity_zone_bg_1_by_insanesonikkufan.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Fusion Force said:

So now only I'm noticing in the second one that plants aside, there's a fish statue near what looks like a bridge.

Makes me wonder if this is a castle level with bits of water areas on it?

Also the first pic looks more like a new ice level/water level, (maybe both?)

Could be. Also there are what looks like dog heads on the posts of the fence in front of Sonic, it's possible there might be other instances of architecture modeled after animals in other parts of the level.

As Indigo Rush posted in the forces discussion, this image has a hint:

Stadium

Currently most hints have been linking one another, and we eventually ended up on WRLD - "Everything" (on youtube).

In the description of that video there was another hint: 41317

What does 41317 and Stadium have in common? A post made on 4/13/17? Aaron Webber has been on the forums here lately...

As well, the latest post on the tumblr says this: #Some of you have been following our clues - so keep your eyes peeled over the next week or two in particular #It's mostly just there to keep you entertained while you wait - but... #there might also be a little hint towards something in Sonic Forces there too! #and remember what I wrote in these tags long long ago: #A good teaser has layers.

temp.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Gabe said:

"We've been tight-lipped for the past two weeks, and we know the wait is unbearable, but we think it's time to show you something you guys will find really neat.

GET A LOAD OF THIS...concept art of a palm tree! A palm tree that looks very similar to those from Sonic 1! Isn't that exciting!!!! GET HYPE"

444px-Needlemouse_palmtree.jpg

Ah yes, "Concept Art Friday" the good old days.

Do you remember the piece of S4 Ep2 concept art which someone from SEGA posted sarcastically in response to a fan:

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/03/09/sonic-4-concept-art-friday/

6819648656_601c4a9a70.jpg

Caused a right shitstorm! Well, shitstorm as in Tristan wasn't very happy, wrote an article about it on TSSZ and refused to post the piece of concert art. Lmao!

This week, we’re not going to relay the week’s Concept Art Friday reveal from Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode IIthat Sega usually releases.  Instead, we’ll tell you about how Sega prefaced this week’s reveal; it is certainly one of the more unique introductions it’s seen.

Meanwhile everyone on SSMB was laughing so hard.

Concept Art Friday was lame, although it was kinda neat that SEGA did it.

• Thumbs Up 5

50 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

Concept Art Friday was lame, although it was kinda neat that SEGA did it.

Well it was fine when it first started. It was pretty cool when we got our first look at the Egg Serpentleaf and even a badnik or two were nice to see. It just went south rather quickly when you waited a whole week for a drawing of a 2D palm tree.

a. Green Hill Zone can go fuck right off (recurring theme these days no?)

b. They should have quit that while they were ahead.

I've said this before, but does anybody else think that this looks like a Brighter version of Aquatic Ruin Zone? The one in the top left-hand corner? I really hope it is! It's my Favorite Classic Sonic Water Stage!

Screenshot 2017-05-24 at 4.06.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-05-24 at 4.03.12 PM.png

Just now, simtek34 said:

I've said this before, but does anybody else think that this looks like a Brighter version of Aquatic Ruin Zone? The one in the top left-hand corner? I really hope it is! It's my Favorite Classic Sonic Water Stage!

Screenshot 2017-05-24 at 4.06.18 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-05-24 at 4.03.12 PM.png

Pretty sure that's just Green Hill Zone from Forces. 

5 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Pretty sure that's just Green Hill Zone from Forces. 

I think we should try and make sure that that's the case.