Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

soo...81 days left.

finally we have a release. maybe i'll go on a media blackout after e3.

literally I have all of Summer open and available, and I've been saving work PTO so I can take the day of Sonic Mania's release off, but one week I am out of the country: August 13-18.

Literally could not be sadder with a release date :c

At least it's coming

• Thumbs Up 1

81 day Mania countdown starts now :P

Yeah, it's gonna be an agonising wait, but at least we finally have a date to look forward to and it's not been much of a delay when you think about it. Only like three months. Still well within the Summer release window.

I've already got the following week (from 21st August) booked off of work so I'll have plenty of time to play Mania :D

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

The Steam Page also confirms a head to head "Competition Mode", but only Local Play according to the little "supported features" list on the right.

If the competition mode is anything like Sonic 2's (with a bit of Sonic 3's) then it's gonna be so much fun.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh my god! That was the best accident!

How do you accidentally release a game to the public and have it in sale for hours?

Oh that's right, you played the leaked version. Lucky git :P  

I remember playthroughs appearing on youtube. Was so hard to resist watching them.

So this came with Crazy Taxi's iOS/Android update:

Think Sonic Mania will have this Sega startup variation?

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

So this came with Crazy Taxi's iOS/Android update:

Think Sonic Mania will have this Sega startup variation?

Yeah, could be. No doubt with the traditional bigger version of the SEGA logo with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles running passed it.

The above is possible, though I think it might just be used for ports. I have a feeling the Sega logo for Mania is just going to be the standard fade-in we're seeing with the Mania demos. That, or maybe another retread of the Sonic 2 "wipe", with the characters running across the screen (they did something like this for the Mania debut trailer; and they also did this for both Sonic 4 episodes).

But I'd like to see something different. In particular, I really liked how the Japanese commercials for Sonic 1, 2, and CD ended with a stop-motion animated Sonic bouncing around the logo. IIRC, Sonic 1 for GG also recreated this with sprites.

aiclFZK.gif

I'd really love seeing this brought back. That, or a see a new concept of a Sonic-themed Sega logo altogether.

e: By the by, don't forget that leaked animation test of Sonic and the Hard-Boiled Heavy by Max Collins from a while back. Maybe they might also make an animated Sega intro as well?

• Thumbs Up 3

It may be a glitch on my end, but here the release date is still displaying "summer 2017"

2 minutes ago, NikoS said:

It may be a glitch on my end, but here the release date is still displaying "summer 2017"

The August 15th release date has been pulled down (and it was only visible in the UK/Germany versions to begin with).

Everywhere is back to Summer 2017.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

The August 15th release date has been pulled down (and it was only visible in the UK/Germany versions to begin with).

Everywhere is back to Summer 2017.

Seems to be for all EU countries, not only GER/UK. At least Sonic Paradise tweeted out the Spanish version of the picture.

I don't even know why they're bothering lol. Just send out the press release or learn how to better keep things like this under wraps. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Ahhhh good ol' SEGA.

I bet the divisions are screaming bloody murder at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yknow if they really want to throw us for a loop and show us that the leaks are "fake" they should go ahead and release the game on June 15th instead... THAT would really teach us a lesson ;) 

10 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Yknow if they really want to throw us for a loop and show us that the leaks are "fake" they should go ahead and release the game on June 15th instead... THAT would really teach us a lesson ;) 

Yes because the game would be unfinished and people would hate the glitches in it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Ruki185 said:

Yes because the game would be unfinished and people would hate the glitches in it. 

Lol I was just joking 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ruki185 said:

Pretty sure the game's more or less complete by this point, it just recently got an ESRB rating. I really doubt a two-month gap would be the difference between the game being a rushed glitchfest and the game being technically sound. That's not to say I want the dev team to release the game earlier than they desired to, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, the August 15th thing was just for European countries, or does it apply to the US, too, or what?

Just now, CrystalStorm51 said:

So, the August 15th thing was just for European countries, or does it apply to the US, too, or what?

As I said before, given that the date does not follow standard European release dates and instead standard US release dates, it very likely applies to the US as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

As I said before, given that the date does not follow standard European release dates and instead standard US release dates, it very likely applies to the US as well. 

Okay, just checking. Just wanted to make sure here. No harm in that, right?

The game is supposed to release on all console simultaneously and on the same date worldwide if I'm not mistaken so yes, that should be the global release date.

Wasn't it Mr. Webber that affirmed this?

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

The game is supposed to release on all console simultaneously and on the same date worldwide if I'm not mistaken so yes, that should be the global release date.

Wasn't it Mr. Webber that affirmed this?

Hey, don't mind me! I wasn't doubting the release date, I was just asking to make sure, nothing more.

Just now, CrystalStorm51 said:

Hey, don't mind me! I wasn't doubting the release date, I was just asking to make sure, nothing more.

42e.gif

I was just answering. I believe it was Webber that said it...

Might have been Whitehead, dunno. Somebody in the Western divisions did, I know that much.

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Pretty sure the game's more or less complete by this point, it just recently got an ESRB rating. I really doubt a two-month gap would be the difference between the game being a rushed glitchfest and the game being technically sound. That's not to say I want the dev team to release the game earlier than they desired to, though.

I'm sure they could conceivably release the game even a few weeks earlier than August 15th but better to have too much time than not enough. 

On the topic of glitches though, so long as the game plays well and doesn't have any game breaking glitches, wasn't part of the fun of the classics (and I mean classic games in general, not just Sonic) finding those extremely rare glitches where you could clip through a wall or find some part of the level you weren't suppose to see? Obviously you don't WANT glitches in your game but that was a hallmark of 1990's video gaming, for better or worse. I'm also not as picky as most when it comes to that. I can forgive some bizarre glitch that only comes up in a VERY specific circumstance. As long as the physics, gravity and things like that behave the way they should, I'm good. I realize I probably don't speak for the majority of gamers though 

Not sure if it was already posted or not, but just want to make sure everyone knows. Competition Mode is back too (2 player vs).

This game is literally my dream Sonic Game. I am so excited!

This could also mean, reimagined competition stages? What if they are full versus stages with their own bosses?

(Endless Mine, Chrome Gadget, ect)

1 minute ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Not sure if it was already posted or not, but just want to make sure everyone knows. Competition Mode is back too (2 player vs).

This game is literally my dream Sonic Game. I am so excited!

Where was this?

And I wonder if there will be stages unique to Competition Mode like in Sonic 3's 2 Player mode?