Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

So I'm guessing Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway, and this brand new level will be playable at E3 in two weeks. Fucking hyped. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, G-Force said:

The fact that they showed Stardust Speedway Past specifically makes me think that there will be some kind of time travel aspect to the level, though I kind of doubt that they would want to do the full blown Sonic CD time travel gimmick for just one or two levels.

Maybe...Stardust Speedway could be a three Act Zone?  First two Acts are the Past and Present (in either order), and Act 3 is either the Good or Bad Future depending on whether you did certain things in the first two Acts?

So, I thought way too hard about this the other day, and came up with something like this:

Start Act 1 in Bad Future.  Halfway through Act 1, scripted transition to Present.  Immediately prior to miniboss, transition to Past.  Halfway through Act 2, transition back to Present.  Immediately prior to boss, transition to Good Future.

I imagine the transition would be something like one of the Past/Future posts with a barrier on the opposite side, so you have to go past it, and when you do so you get a lightshow while the level swaps graphics.

With that said, I think if that was what we were getting, we wouldn't be seeing all this Past stuff right now.  Something like Act 1 Past, Act 2 Present, boss Good Future might be more likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reception is so positive. There's so much good buzz surrounding this game, and I love it. I feel so hyped for it and it's the first time in a very LONG time...

I'm so happy, I want the Mania serie to go on forever.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hello. I am new here. But anyways, now that the game is almost released, it's time to ask the most important question to me.

Will there be dlc, and if so, what will it be? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Blue Blood said:

We don't know.

Aaron answered this question a little while ago during a stream or an interview. He specifically said that that that's undecided at the moment and all they're focusing on is getting the game finished for release. DLC is, quite rightly, not being planned before the game is even out.

I know, but I just like to think about all the dlc possibilities, especially in the modern gaming industry, with all the season passes, locked away content, special editions and other stupid stuff.

I think the inclusion of DLC will up be to Sega to decide, and if they say yes, then they will probably start working on it once Sonic Mania goes gold.

33 minutes ago, FFWF said:

So, I thought way too hard about this the other day, and came up with something like this:

Start Act 1 in Bad Future.  Halfway through Act 1, scripted transition to Present.  Immediately prior to miniboss, transition to Past.  Halfway through Act 2, transition back to Present.  Immediately prior to boss, transition to Good Future.

I imagine the transition would be something like one of the Past/Future posts with a barrier on the opposite side, so you have to go past it, and when you do so you get a lightshow while the level swaps graphics.

With that said, I think if that was what we were getting, we wouldn't be seeing all this Past stuff right now.  Something like Act 1 Past, Act 2 Present, boss Good Future might be more likely.

They might just go with the Past version for both acts, given the rest of it occupies a similar trope to Studiopolis. Still, it's entirely possible that it doesn't matter and for Act 2 to take place in a Good Future or one of the others, like you said. I'd be down with either.

Beautiful animation; makes me said that Archie might never publish the last part of the Sonic Mega Drive comic.

Anyway, I wonder if this animation will be included in the game as Sonic Mania's actually intro sequence? If that's the case I kind of hope that more of it will be coloured upon release. The beginning as a sketch was a cool touch but seeing Sonic run like that in black and white still feels kind of incomplete to me.

5 minutes ago, jacoblebeaureal said:

I know, but I just like to think about all the dlc possibilities, especially in the modern gaming industry, with all the season passes, locked away content, special editions and other stupid stuff.

Well, as yet the answer is "no". No DLC has been announced. I'd be totally down for some DLC that's planned out and announced after release, whatever form it takes. But I would be a little bit miffed if they'd already announced some. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2017 at 10:20 PM, Jango said:

Oh shit dawg, I don't want spoilers, but this looks so cool.... ?? I'm digging the colors, it's definitely a new zone, and the screenshot was taken right at the beginning of the level, as Sonic is far on the left. It looks like the inside of a cathedral... It reminds of the one in Stardust Speedway's background (in the past)! Oh shit, what if?!

scd-ss-point2img2.png

Perhaps it is either an intentional or unintentional fun puzzle that the unknown zone screenshot was placed in the promotional artwork, around the same time as the current trailer would be published?  Is it one of the new zones, some new part of Hydrocity, or part of Stardust Speedway?? ^_^:) 

That has been something i didn't notice about Sonic background art for years and years, until replaying S3K enough times, that it is implied that, although the movement on screen is horizontal, that they are winding their way into the background nonetheless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Perhaps it wasn't unintentional/as a fun puzzle that the unknown zone screenshot was placed in the promotional artwork, around the same time as the current trailer being published.  Is it one of the new zones, some new part of Hydrocity, or part of Stardust Speedway?? ^_^:) 

That has been something i didn't notice about Sonic background art for years and years, until replaying S3K enough times, that it is implied that, although the movement on screen is horizontal, that they are winding their way into the background nonetheless. 

This being 'Sonic CD' where talking about its entirely possible that the cathedral is a new alternative future for Stardust Speedway. Personally though I'm still inclined to believe it's a whole new zone, its style is unique compared to any other 2D zone that's ever appeared in a Sonic game before.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think words can describe just how blown away by that trailer I was, its probably my favorite trailer for anything, PERIOD, its that good. I really hope we get a tv show using this animation man, its just too beautiful not to use.

• Thumbs Up 2

Trailer was amazing, not much to be said that hasn't been said already but yeah I SURE hope that colouring at the end is a tease that these might be pencils for what is a fully animated intro in the final... but expectations low just in case.

But hey Stardust Speedway!  We got the overgrown retro level y'all had a boner for.

• Thumbs Up 1

If anything eggman is just using the emeralds to warp some zones together or rewrite things. Seeing his leaked character artwork, and looking at posters you see in some stages of his head outlined by the emeralds pretty much makes me think thats whats going on. I am excited for this. Atm my levels of excitement for ite are pretty on par with forces atm.

Going to cancel the collectors edition and pre-order this now. 

This may be the best Sonic game of all-time. 

22 minutes ago, Kintor said:

This being 'Sonic CD' where talking about its entirely possible that the cathedral is a new alternative future for Stardust Speedway. Personally though I'm still inclined to believe it's a whole new zone, its style is unique compared to any other 2D zone that's ever appeared in a Sonic game before.

It's not an alternative future for Stardust Speedway.  Given what we've seen from Green Hill, Flying Battery, and now Stardust Speedway, we can safely say that while they're willing to modify and add elements to the old levels, they're not interested in retooling levels into things they never were to begin with.  If Stardust Speedway Future is in the game at all, it'll resemble what it was before.

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

If anything eggman is just using the emeralds to warp some zones together or rewrite things. Seeing his leaked character artwork, and looking at posters you see in some stages of his head outlined by the emeralds pretty much makes me think thats whats going on. I am excited for this. Atm my levels of excitement for ite are pretty on par with forces atm.

The artwork is based on Eggman juggling the Chaos Emeralds you didn't get in the old Try Again screen for Sonic 1.  By itself, it doesn't mean anything other than the fact that the Chaos Emeralds are involved in the game, which is something most of us probably expected anyway.  We can't say that Eggman used the Emeralds for anything in the story yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, G-Force said:

It's not an alternative future for Stardust Speedway.  Given what we've seen from Green Hill, Flying Battery, and now Stardust Speedway, we can safely say that while they're willing to modify and add elements to the old levels, they're not interested in retooling levels into things they never were to begin with.  If Stardust Speedway Future is in the game at all, it'll resemble what it was before.

I agree with your resoning here. The leaked image is far too different from anything else to merely be a retooled level. That cathedral is probably something new.

34 minutes ago, G-Force said:

The artwork is based on Eggman juggling the Chaos Emeralds you didn't get in the old Try Again screen for Sonic 1.  By itself, it doesn't mean anything other than the fact that the Chaos Emeralds are involved in the game, which is something most of us probably expected anyway.  We can't say that Eggman used the Emeralds for anything in the story yet.

artwork in studiopolis shows eggtv with eggmans head and the 7 emeralds surrounding his head

• Thumbs Up 1

The release date on PS says December 31 and it's driving me nuts. It's making the countdown seem unbearable even though I know it's the wrong date. 

DBHUvC9XUAE669s.jpg:large

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Kintor said:

^_^  That is true, i hadn't remembered what was in that location in the Good Future, but i found a screenshot:

hqdefault.jpg