Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

So... you guys might hate me for this. But this trailer just went so well with that one Mighty No. 9 trailer.

I just couldn't stop myself.

But hey.

It's better then noth-BANNED-

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, SweeCrue said:

So... you guys might hate me for this. But this trailer just went so well with that one Mighty No. 9 trailer.

I just couldn't stop myself.

But hey.

It's better then noth-BANNED-

Heavy Gunner's missles explode into pizza explosions :P

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Gatestormer said:

...Cancel? Why?! The collectors edition is the game.

To be fair, I've had some issues with the place that I pre-ordered from, so I don't even know if they will have it for me. 

I pre-ordered it on the day it was announced out of excitement and I'm somewhat regretting it now. I don't think it has enough content to pay nearly $100(canadian) for. The statue is beautiful and all but that's it (no soundtrack, no art-book, etc). A physical copy isn't even included (at this point, anyway).

I buy it digitally and am guaranteed to be able to play midnight on release date. No headaches. I'm happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

so if anyone has pre-ordered it on PS4 tell us if you get the themes right then and there or do you get them when the game drops?

3 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

so if anyone has pre-ordered it on PS4 tell us if you get the themes right then and there or do you get them when the game drops?

You get them immediately. Already got mine up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

what do they look like?

1. Heroes theme.

DBHikQXXkAAxVZ4.jpg:large

DBHi3v8VoAIcTO8.jpg:large

2.Villains.

DBHjIbZXcAE4n0I.jpg:large

DBHjO_bW0AA583b.jpg:large

3. Rolling Landscapes.

DBHjpmwUQAAgZX4.jpg:large

DBHjzN1UMAAiEPS.jpg:large

• Thumbs Up 6

How come the same brand can make this to someone?! Please SEGA, hire these guys forever, and keep ya' old Sonic Team making their EXCUSE to a Sonic game. I ain't giving my money to shitty games, but in compensation, I'm buying Sonic Mania twice.

• Thumbs Up 1

So which platform do you guys think Sonic Mania will sell the most on?

Realistically, it would be something like:

1. Steam.

2. Switch.

3. PS4.

4. Xbox One.

I'm personally getting the PS4 version.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonicfan7 said:

To be fair, I've had some issues with the place that I pre-ordered from, so I don't even know if they will have it for me. 

I pre-ordered it on the day it was announced out of excitement and I'm somewhat regretting it now. I don't think it has enough content to pay nearly $100(canadian) for. The statue is beautiful and all but that's it (no soundtrack, no art-book, etc). A physical copy isn't even included (at this point, anyway).

I buy it digitally and am guaranteed to be able to play midnight on release date. No headaches. I'm happy. 

I'm actually kinda on the fence about this myself. I'm waiting to see if Sega will include any extra content with the collectors edition because if the game is only 19.99 on its own, it does seem pretty steep for what it is. 

Additionally I really need this game as soon as it releases and to pay for the extra shipping would cost as much (or more) as buying the game itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1. Steam.

2. Switch.

3. PS4.

4. Xbox One.

PS4 always sells a LOT, see Sonic CD, both Adventure games. I say it might just sell more than the Switch.

9 hours ago, Gemster312 said:

9 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

BEAUTY_AND_GRACE.gif

I teared up a bit, I ain't gonna lie. 

DAT ANIMATION

AND MUSIC

Holy dooly, I don't play that much classic games, but the trailer looked GREAT!

9 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Yup he did.

OML he actually did help with the animation!

...So the green robotic plant zone is Stardust Speedway huh...

• Thumbs Up 1

Several things...

First off, the trailer music reminds me of Drawn to Life.

Secondly, any chance of the music being in the game? maybe the theme of the special zone?

Third, any chance of all those animations being IN-GAME instead of exclusive to promotions like Generations did with its CGi?

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

1. Steam.

2. Switch.

3. PS4.

4. Xbox One.

As someone said before, Sonic does tend to trend pretty well on the Sony consoles, and seeing as how Mania is a retro-throwback, I think its safe to say that the older audiences on the PS4/X1 market will probably have a bit more to say then usual on how the sales pan out between the consoles. Its also worth noting that the PS4 and the X1 have a stronger, more robust and developed online presence, and this will be a download only (or download first minded) game. It plays to what those consoles (and Steam) have done better for longer.

That in combination with the larger install base will probably mean quite a bit when all is said and done. It wouldn't surprise me to see the PS4 version take the 2 spot behind the Steam release and the X1 version remain at least somewhat competitive alongside the Switch.

I think the main thing to look at here is going to be the ratio of sales. Switch ownership to Sonic Mania ownership will be an interesting stat to watch. If Mania gets a good foothold with that, Sonic may well be the first third party franchise in a long time to consistently sell very well on Nintendo hardware (minus the presence of Nintendo IP). Now's the chance to get off on the right foot. Mania and Forces could do something pretty momentous this year.

5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

As someone said before, Sonic does tend to trend pretty well on the Sony consoles, and seeing as how Mania is a retro-throwback, I think its safe to say that the older audiences on the PS4/X1 market will probably have a bit more to say then usual on how the sales pan out between the consoles. Its also worth noting that the PS4 and the X1 have a stronger, more robust and developed online presence, and this will be a download only (or download first minded) game. It plays to what those consoles (and Steam) have done better for longer.

That in combination with the larger install base will probably mean quite a bit when all is said and done. It wouldn't surprise me to see the PS4 version take the 2 spot behind the Steam release and the X1 version remain at least somewhat competitive alongside the Switch.

I think the main thing to look at here is going to be the ratio of sales. Switch ownership to Sonic Mania ownership will be an interesting stat to watch. If Mania gets a good foothold with that, Sonic may well be the first third party franchise in a long time to consistently sell very well on Nintendo hardware (minus the presence of Nintendo IP). Now's the chance to get off on the right foot. Mania and Forces could do something pretty momentous this year.

I doubt Switch being in 2nd will fall considering how explosive and consistent the install base is growing revolving the Switch as a whole worldwide.

It's the new thing and portable to boot so it means Mania wherever whenever on something smaller than a laptop which would be the second portable option.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I doubt Switch being in 2nd will fall considering how explosive and consistent the install base is growing revolving the Switch as a whole worldwide.

It's the new thing and portable to boot so it means Mania wherever whenever on something smaller than a laptop which would be the second portable option.

I don't doubt the appeal for the Switch. However, the way the market works will play a lot to where sales will fall.

Older audiences are clearly in the crosshairs of Mania, and its safe to say the majority of those gamers sit on the PS4 / X1.

The Switch is selling very well for itself, but by the time Mania rolls around, it may have what... 6 million units on the market if it doubles the units in the wild right now? In order to clear a million copies (just a number) that means 1 in 6 switch users would have to pick up the game. Very few games meet that kind of threshold. You could count the number of non Nintendo IPs that even made it to half of that on the WiiU on zero hands... because none did. Not Sonic, not NOBODY.

The higher number of X1's and PS4's out there simply provides a better chance for the game to preform better overall. Its just basic math. Using the same million copy baseline, you'd have to convince just one 1 of every 55 guys on the PS4 to pick up the game. Just think about that. Out of every handful of 55 dude's roaming the PSN shop, only one of them has to see the $20 price tag and make an impulse buy. That would put sales figures so great on the PS4 that Mania would have to sell like Smash just to keep pace on the Switch. I don't think even the most optimistic fan is banking on that.

I know of plenty of people in my position who opted for a PS4 version simply for the graphics whore angle. I am sure people will opt for the switch version for access to the game on the go, but I can't say I see the install base for the Switch being high enough to challenge for the #2 spot just yet. Maybe a bit down the line. Nintendo has a strong support base for platformers, and it is a cozy place for Sonic games. I just think the numbers work against it this early in its life cycle. 

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I don't doubt the appeal for the Switch. However, the way the market works will play a lot to where sales will fall.

Older audiences are clearly in the crosshairs of Mania, and its safe to say the majority of those gamers sit on the PS4 / X1.

The Switch is selling very well for itself, but by the time Mania rolls around, it may have what... 6 million units on the market if it doubles the units in the wild right now? In order to clear a million copies (just a number) that means 1 in 6 switch users would have to pick up the game. Very few games meet that kind of threshold. You could count the number of non Nintendo IPs that even made it to half of that on the WiiU on zero hands... because none did. Not Sonic, not NOBODY.

The higher number of X1's and PS4's out there simply provides a better chance for the game to preform better overall. Its just basic math. Using the same million copy baseline, you'd have to convince just one 1 of every 55 guys on the PS4 to pick up the game. Just think about that. Out of every handful of 55 dude's roaming the PSN shop, only one of them has to see the $20 price tag and make an impulse buy. That would put sales figures so great on the PS4 that Mania would have to sell like Smash just to keep pace on the Switch. I don't think even the most optimistic fan is banking on that.

I know of plenty of people in my position who opted for a PS4 version simply for the graphics whore angle. I am sure people will opt for the switch version for access to the game on the go, but I can't say I see the install base for the Switch being high enough to challenge for the #2 spot just yet. Maybe a bit down the line. Nintendo has a strong support base for platformers, and it is a cozy place for Sonic games. I just think the numbers work against it this early in its life cycle. 

Mania is to Sonic what Breath of the Wild was to Zelda basically and considering by August 15th the title won't have the full blunt of the Switch catalogue to compete against yet I do think it's going to be another "Buy Switch Get This" scenario where if you have the console Mania will be a must buy on par with Zelda.

Edit

tumblr_inline_mothdz4ilc1qz4rgp.gif

Holy SH@$ it feels INCREDIBLE to be able to say that about Sonic with a straight face again! I must kiss Whitehead one day.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Mania is to Sonic what Breath of the Wild was to Zelda basically and considering by August 15th the title won't have the full blunt of the Switch catalogue to compete against yet I do think it's going to be another "Buy Switch get This" scenario where if you have the console Mania will be a must buy on par with Zelda.

Ugh, dude. Like seriously slow down. Pump the brakes twice if you have to.

I am happy to see that kind of enthusiasm - but lets not get carried away. Zelda is the flagship Nintendo IP (Mario can go suck eggz). Zelda is a Nintendo IP on a Nintendo platform. Its the designated system seller designed to give people a reason to go out and get the newest console. Zelda switch actually outsold the total lifetime switch sales for a while there. Sonic Mania is none of those things. Its not on its native console, its not a system seller and it will have at least a little bit more competition then Zelda did at launch in the form of available content and games on the horizon.

I wouldn't get into the habit of expecting the sales to match up with that. Even at the discounted price.

Its boarderline insane to think that a 3rd party would walk in and pull down that kind of support, particularly knowing that 3rd party sales just didn't materialize even remotely close to that threshold for either the Wii or the WiiU.

Will it do well? I'd actually be willing to bet money on that. But is it going to sell 1 to 1 with the console? Yeah no.

and just to humor that line of thought...

In the rare case that it does... if demand for it is that great to where Switch users grab it at that kind of rate... what exactly do you think that 55 million PS4 users are gonna be doing? twiddling their thumbs? If the fever there is 1/4th as rampant, then the Switch selling at 1 to 1 still wouldn't be able to match total sales.

28 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Ugh, dude. Like seriously slow down. Pump the brakes twice if you have to.

I respect your thoughts.

However...

This is a ride with no brakes. It's acceleration to the floor on a sharp downhill road leading into an ocean of magic.

There's just no such thing as slowing down for Mania.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's truly a dream come true, no pun intended!! Question is, who's going to do a new SSMB Hype Photoshop, the train can stay in the station over on the Forces thread, what we need over here is the SSMB Hype Elevator!! Everybody in with Sonic, Tails & Knuckles, we riding this thing ALL the way up!!

• Thumbs Up 1

So right now Mania is the around number 12 on the worldwide most sold Steam games. Which is amazing since not only the game isn't even OUT yet, but it's not even been 24 hours since the preorder began.

• Thumbs Up 5

That trailer, super cool! I find myself, a 30-year old man, literally in tears of joy here. I feel like I'm five again. My summer is truly saved (waiting for another surgery on my knee and ankle, so I'll be all set up for the recovery time). :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1