Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Oh yeah.

scd-ss-metalsonic2img1.png

Would the Boss be Metal Sonic in Act 1/2? Would there be a rematch while outrunning giant hedgehog eating robot plants?

Maybe the race re-enactment in act 1 and a full fight in act 2?

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Oh yeah.

scd-ss-metalsonic2img1.png

Would the Boss be Metal Sonic in Act 1/2? Would there be a rematch while outrunning giant hedgehog eating robot plants?

Not sure. Since CD's race was either win or die, I don't know how that would work for Act 1 boss and have Metal Sonic fight you in Act 2. I would be down for a thrilling race, though. @Miru the Living Planet

8 hours ago, Penny said:

I'm not so sure Mania's file size is actually gonna be 108 MB. I preordered both Mania and Madden 18 for Xbox one and they were both 108 MB. I mean, M18 was only 108.1 compared to 108.8 for Mania, so maybe it actually is, but I'm thinking it's just a preorder thing

108MB with a mandatory 6GB day one patch ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, molul said:

If they plan to release the game on mobile, they should try to make it as small as possible. 

What. Where did they say they were worried about mobile

Imagine being this butthurt about Classic Sonic and multiple characters

Spoiler

if you can sit through Super Sonic flapping his arms through the air without laughing I'll buy you a cold one

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes, I did. I know it hasn't been announced, but why wouldn't they port it? It's based on the same engine of the Sonic 1, 2 and CD remasters.

While it could port over nicely to iOS and Android, remember that they're already getting it ported to 4 platforms; it's probably best not to spread their efforts too thin at this moment. Also, for all we know, they may want to push the Nintendo Switch version as 'the' mobile edition for now, so having it available for phones might throw a wrench in that. Besides which, nigh everyone in this bloody fanbase gripes about how touch controls suck, to the point that people outright refused to back the efforts to petition for a mobile Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remaster on those grounds alone (screw each and every one of you), so yeah, I don't reckon there's much incentive for them to be bothered at this time.

Also, it's a $20 game. Who's going to pay $20 upfront for a mobile game? If Mario Run couldn't get away with it for $10, who thinks Sonic can?

It'd be great, I'd play the heck out of it on my phone, but I don't see it happening. Maybe somewhere down the line after the dust has settled post-release and it's prime for a small price drop. Until then, I wouldn't count on it.

• Thumbs Up 5

You guys may have heard about a recent "SONIC MANIA - PRE LOAD DUMP (ZONES LEAKED)" topic on Reddit a few days ago alledging zones like Aquatic Ruin & Galooniza zone :huh:

Well, Taxman quickly confirmed over on Retro it's fake:

if you're talking about this https://www.reddit.c...p_zones_leaked/ it's fake. (GALOONIA-ZONE? wut) 

Galoonzia is like the stupidest name for a zone I've ever heard...

Ga-loon-i-za

Spa-gon-i-a

Eh, close enough. Let's make a game of it.

A-pa-tos

E-cat-is

All I need to know at this point is whether or not Hydrocity is in the game. It's my favourite zone in the series and would just put Mania over the top for me. 
I feel like it's gonna be Aquatic Ruin for the water stage and Ice Cap for the Sonic 3 pick though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Even though I would prefer Hydrocity Zone to Aquatic Ruin, I feel like Aquatic Ruin could be done really well if it were really fleshed out and given some new environmental aspects. The original stage had great music and a great aesthetic but was too short to really appreciate or remember. If done right it could be a really engaging and even challenging stage 

47 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Even though I would prefer Hydrocity Zone to Aquatic Ruin, I feel like Aquatic Ruin could be done really well if it were really fleshed out and given some new environmental aspects. The original stage had great music and a great aesthetic but was too short to really appreciate or remember. If done right it could be a really engaging and even challenging stage 

I think if that act 2 of Aquatic ruin was more about the underwater ruins it could be interesting. Could even lead to mystic cave. Perhaps there is still a chance for Hydrocity too though.

Wait, what if act 2 of mystic cave is hidden palace?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping since Christian Whitehead seems to be very in tune with what Sonic fans want (at least it seems like it to this point) that Hydrocity Zone will find its way into this game. I feel like it's one of the most popular classic stages and the most popular water level 

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I'm hoping since Christian Whitehead seems to be very in tune with what Sonic fans want (at least it seems like it to this point) that Hydrocity Zone will find its way into this game. I feel like it's one of the most popular classic stages and the most popular water level 

Even if Aquatic ruin got in I don't think it denies Hydrocity. The game is big, a temple water level and a jungle/plant water level I could see both coming. Defintally if each game has two levels

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that leaked Cathedral might also be a water level. At the beginning of the slope, there's a fish thing.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's possible that the game will blur the boundary between what is and isn't a "water level."  Five out of six zones in Sonic 3 featured water, often quite extensively.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Thing is that Ice Cap is also incredibly popular which is why I could see it going either way. 

While it's probably one of the zones I enjoy the least in Sonic 3, I'd be curious to see what cool things they could do with Ice Cap in Mania. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Feenaw45 said:

Thing is that Ice Cap is also incredibly popular which is why I could see it going either way. 

While it's probably one of the zones I enjoy the least in Sonic 3, I'd be curious to see what cool things they could do with Ice Cap in Mania. 

Yeah Ice Cap is one of the most popular too but there's no reason we couldn't see both. I'm still very curious to see what Sonic 2 and 3 levels are used. It's almost a no lose situation 

So based on Taxman referencing Humpty Dumpty and the game taking place after S3&K, are we all pretty much certain that the last (or close to last) level in the game will be some sort of Death Egg ruins zone?

4 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

While it could port over nicely to iOS and Android, remember that they're already getting it ported to 4 platforms; it's probably best not to spread their efforts too thin at this moment. Also, for all we know, they may want to push the Nintendo Switch version as 'the' mobile edition for now, so having it available for phones might throw a wrench in that. Besides which, nigh everyone in this bloody fanbase gripes about how touch controls suck, to the point that people outright refused to back the efforts to petition for a mobile Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remaster on those grounds alone (screw each and every one of you), so yeah, I don't reckon there's much incentive for them to be bothered at this time.

Also, it's a $20 game. Who's going to pay $20 upfront for a mobile game? If Mario Run couldn't get away with it for $10, who thinks Sonic can?

It'd be great, I'd play the heck out of it on my phone, but I don't see it happening. Maybe somewhere down the line after the dust has settled post-release and it's prime for a small price drop. Until then, I wouldn't count on it.

Well Sega is planning to open that Sega Foreve mobile service, so I think they don't fear touch controls (think about Comix Zone controls on screen).

Also, I do see a delay for mobile version, probably half a year or a whole one, for favouring Switch and to justify a price drop (10€ would currently be reasonable on mobile, at least for the first year).

It would be weird to me that they didn't take advantage on the fact the Retro Engine can build games for Android and iOS.