Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, McGroose said:

So based on Taxman referencing Humpty Dumpty and the game taking place after S3&K, are we all pretty much certain that the last (or close to last) level in the game will be some sort of Death Egg ruins zone?

If it's this tweet you're referring to:

...The more straightforward interpretation would be that it signifies the exact opposite.  It's a deconfirmation.

8 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Imagine being this butthurt about Classic Sonic and multiple characters

Hide contents

if you can sit through Super Sonic flapping his arms through the air without laughing I'll buy you a cold one

Modern Sonic presses the "M" button with his middle finger. O.O

• Thumbs Up 6

On 6/5/2017 at 9:48 AM, Indigo Rush said:

Imagine being this butthurt about Classic Sonic and multiple characters

Reveal hidden contents

if you can sit through Super Sonic flapping his arms through the air without laughing I'll buy you a cold one

Just goes to show how hard it is to make Modern Sonic have the same "magic" when it comes to emotions/expressions as his Classic self.

Modern Sonic seems designed to show more along the lines of an occasional scowl and smirks, but making him try to pull off much else just makes him look like a dork as this video shows.

You just can't copy greatness, even from yourself, if that makes any sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would actually love a 3D game in that hand drawn animated style. Imagine a playable Sonic CD cutscene basically. There's no reason why it couldn't be done with today's technology. Might be time consuming and expensive though 

12 hours ago, Pawn said:

Related image

There's no reason why Modern Sonic couldn't be animated just as well, though? It comes down to cost at the end of the day.

Unleashed was so good... Even had a CGi movie made to promote it...

Delicious.

(The downside is it also showed how Sonic tends to be better when silent, sadly...)

15 hours ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I would actually love a 3D game in that hand drawn animated style. Imagine a playable Sonic CD cutscene basically. There's no reason why it couldn't be done with today's technology. Might be time consuming and expensive though 

There is a fan video, they call it a proof of concept, for a project called Sonic Freedom. It's not 3D but it's taken a lot of queues from Sonic CD's animation.

If it did end up becoming a game I imagine the scripting and controls would be a bit of an issue, but in video form it looks pretty funky.

Besides that Sonic Utopia which every man and his dog knows about by now, while not animated so to speak, is probably the closest thing to a 3D game in the classic style.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd prefer a Rayman Origins style for a future 2D Sonic game. I mean as an AAA Sonic Team game. The Mania Team can do infinite "pixel Sonic" games. I'll buy them all. 

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, molul said:

I'd prefer a Rayman Origins style for a future 2D Sonic game. I mean as an AAA Sonic Team game. The Mania Team can do infinite "pixel Sonic" games. I'll buy them all. 

No please don't let Sonic Team anywhere close 2D Sonic ever again.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

No please don't let Sonic Team anywhere close 2D Sonic ever again.

Um, why? What was the last Sonic Team game in 2D? 

Just now, Joseph Mello said:

Um, why? What was the last Sonic Team game in 2D? 

Colours, and half of Lost World. I mean these are technically 2.5D but they clearly show they don't know their way around Sonicy 2D level design.

• Thumbs Up 6

I love the idea of hand drawn Sonic in similar vein to Rayman Origins/Legends or Wario Land Shake It, but I'd prefer if it were in modern Sonic style.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, given the way they're going all-out for Mania, I find it hard to believe they'd be able to do a straight iterative sequel that retained the same pixel style without it being a little underwhelming.  A successor to Sonic Mania might have to go the hand-drawn route, or use HD sprites or something similar, purely to show progression.  ...This might be an unpopular opinion.  But I think they would find it hard to create the same excitement for a retro sequel if retro Sonic was no longer a thing of the past.

• Thumbs Up 9

12 minutes ago, FFWF said:

To be honest, given the way they're going all-out for Mania, I find it hard to believe they'd be able to do a straight iterative sequel that retained the same pixel style without it being a little underwhelming.  A successor to Sonic Mania might have to go the hand-drawn route, or use HD sprites or something similar, purely to show progression.  ...This might be an unpopular opinion.  But I think they would find it hard to create the same excitement for a retro sequel if retro Sonic was no longer a thing of the past.

If shovel knight and Mario can still excit so can Sonic 

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

I'd expect what Sonic 4 did only done properly with more of a Donkey Kong Country Returns direction but I've been over that already.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

Nothing they do is going to have the same impact as Mania, really, regardless of what art style they use. And I would figure most people who would be bothered by a sequel not having a more "modern" art style aren't too excited about Mania in the first place, so I'm not sure it's really worth trying to cater to that mindset.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

I completely agree. Feels like they're throwing everything at Mania and quite rightly so as it'll probably end up being the last official pixel-classic game. As exciting as a 32-bit "Saturn-inspired" Mania trilogy might sound, I just can't see this interesting Iizuka. I think he sees it as a one-off celebration for the anniversary and once the game is out his focus will shift away from classic pixel-art Sonic games indefinitely.

I certainly hope the demand from all corners for more 2d Sonic games increases post-reception of Mania. I would like them have another go at a 2d (or 2.5d) Sonic game (regardless of who would develop it - just not...fucking...DIMPS) with a more modern graphics style. As long it keeps the same high-quality music, is a full-length game (not episodic) and has a physics engine which can be as close to the classic momentum-physics as possible, then I see no reason why we can't have another high-quality game.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, OcelotBot said:

I completely agree. Feels like they're throwing everything at Mania and quite rightly so as it'll probably end up being the last official pixel-classic game. As exciting as a 32-bit "Saturn-inspired" Mania trilogy might sound, I just can't see this interesting Iizuka. I think he see's it as a one-off celebration for the anniversary and once the game is out his focus will shift away from classic pixel-art Sonic games indefinitely.

I certainly hope the demand from all corners for more 2d Sonic games increases post-reception of Mania. I would like them have another go at a 2d (or 2.5d) Sonic game (regardless of who would develop it - just not...fucking...DIMPS) with a more modern graphics style. As long it keeps the same high-quality music, is a full-length game (not episodic) and has a physics engine which can be as close to the classic momentum-physics as possible, then I see no reason why we can't have another high-quality game.

I feel like the only reason Iizuka even okay'd Mania in the first place was because it featured a bunch of levels from older games like Sonic Generations. And to Iizuka Generations = Good.

7 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

I just can't see this interesting Iizuka. I think he see's it as a one-off celebration for the anniversary and once the game is out his focus will shift away from classic pixel-art Sonic games indefinitely.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt SEGA will give two cents about what he wants or is interested in anymore after Mania.

I picture it more of a "Do this and zip it" scenario on SEGA's part, especially given the reception of Forces in comparison. Now that the company sees a clear picture as to where their Golden Goose lies, they're not going to let it starve to death.

It's kind of like if Nintendo released the original New Super Mario Bros. on DS and then dropped it right after. It's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, Tails spin said:

If shovel knight and Mario can still excit so can Sonic 

Shovel Knight is an indie game and Mario doesn't use retro pixel-art styles any more except for the occasional visual flourish.  (Except Mario Maker, but that includes multiple art styles including one modernised one and is intended to represent multiple eras of the character's 2D gameplay history.)  I feel like visual modernisation will be required for a whole new 2D arm to the franchise to be re-established; something more like Rayman Origins, New Super Mario Bros., or, heaven help us, Sonic 4 as you truly imagined it.

39 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I feel like the only reason Iizuka even okay'd Mania in the first place was because it featured a bunch of levels from older games like Sonic Generations. And to Iizuka Generations = Good.

Conversely, it was actually established a little while ago that it was SoA which asked for more ports of the classics and Iizuka felt that the fans would be more interested in something new.  A game which mixed new stages and remade classics was his idea (source).  Iizuka is the reason why Mania exists and has new levels in it.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Shovel Knight is an indie game and Mario doesn't use retro pixel-art styles any more except for the occasional visual flourish.  (Except Mario Maker, but that includes multiple art styles including one modernised one and is intended to represent multiple eras of the character's 2D gameplay history.)  I feel like visual modernisation will be required for a whole new 2D arm to the franchise to be re-established; something more like Rayman Origins, New Super Mario Bros., or, heaven help us, Sonic 4 as you truly imagined it.

Conversely, it was actually established a little while ago that it was SoA which asked for more ports of the classics and Iizuka felt that the fans would be more interested in something new.  A game which mixed new stages and remade classics was his idea (source).  Iizuka is the reason why Mania exists and has new levels in it.

I kind of hoped it was more because of Mr. Webbers influence and his ties with the fan base and those with skills within it. It's nice thinking he might be gaining more responsibility/power as time goes on thanks to how well he does things with the consumers and such. The way he takes and uses feedback is on a whole different level from anyone else in the company today.

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

I think a Mania sequel would actually be met with a lot of excitement if it were all new levels (and could even have a different name). I think the Mania project so far has shown that there's still a lot of life in Genesis style Sonic when done right and I believe there are still lots of good ideas that could come out of it 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the 2D road should be:

-Sonic Mania sequel with only new levels. 

-New 2D game like Mania but with HD sprites. Maybe even an option to switch pixel or hd spriteset.

-2.5D game by Sonic Team, like Donkey Kong Country Returns and far from Sonic 4. Of course, with the classics physics.  

And S3&K remastered between the first two projects xD 

26 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I think a Mania sequel would actually be met with a lot of excitement if it were all new levels (and could even have a different name). I think the Mania project so far has shown that there's still a lot of life in Genesis style Sonic when done right and I believe there are still lots of good ideas that could come out of it 

That's just it. There's too high a demand for a sequel that's completely new, and that demand combined with the reception, and upcoming sales, of Mania will further cement its continuation. Even the staff would prefer a completely new title being developed over returning stuff, so in-house and from consumers the interest and demand is too high to ignore.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, molul said:

Maybe the 2D road should be:

-Sonic Mania sequel with only new levels. 

-New 2D game like Mania but with HD sprites. Maybe even an option to switch pixel or hd spriteset.

-2.5D game by Sonic Team, like Donkey Kong Country Returns and far from Sonic 4. Of course, with the classics physics.  

And S3&K remastered between the first two projects xD 

Honestly, I'd rather have a 2.5D Donkey Kong Returns style game still be done by Christian and Co. I have nothing against Sonic Team, but I feel the mania team is better suited for classic sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 4