Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Wow, journalists don't give a sh*t about Mania info apparently. I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to appear, the subtitles say that this image is Chemical Plant.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Are already fighting the final boss of Sonic 2? IN GREEN HILL? HOLY MOSES.

Is this the Worf effect at work?

Is this a sign of things to come?

15 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

No it doesn't apparently, it's just Game Informer being dumb

THAT MUSIC THO.

Good journalist work! 

I really want to go dark on the mania info now and wait till the game is released but I just can't fucking look away when I see new stuff revealed. God damn this is gonna be a tough two months. 

• Thumbs Up 4

ypoEebK.gif

I've noticed that the background is different here. The lack of light makes it seem like this Act takes place underground or inside a building or something. Hmmm...

sonic-mania-tails.jpg

From this angle, it looks like the Death Egg Robot's been upgraded with the power of Pingas.

• Thumbs Up 7

We're being invaded by sonic mania spoilers!!!! Run for cover!!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/sonic-mania-is-already-so-good-id-buy-its-incomplete-version-as-is/

"Paired with this mechanic is the series' first "bounce suit," which can be opened up by opening a bonus-item box. With this equipped, tap the "jump" button in mid-air to slam down to the ground and bounce back upward. This doesn't offer as big a jump as CPZ's bouncy pools, but it does let your hero of choice (Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles) get more height and speed than merely jumping. The result is a very interesting power-up for the sake of switching and optimizing your run routes (aka speedrunner-nip)."

Is this article just referring to the bubble shield? It sounds exactly like it but this paragraph seems to indicate that both Tails and Knuckles can use the bounce function as well? 

Perhaps the player is unfamiliar with the elemental shields and just assumes they act the same with all 3 characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Chemical Plant is a lame choice. So boring, especially after it was already in Generations.

At least it looks like they've changed a lot more than in Green Hill and Flying Battery.

27 minutes ago, Feenaw45 said:

YO

sonic-mania-tails.jpg

AO rating incoming?

I'm really annoyed how we now know of FOUR returning stages and only TWO new ones. I was hoping there'd be more, oh I dunno, balance?

At least the returning stages are getting remixed nicely. Loving the look of Chemical Plant Act 1.

Think this is the end of returning stages, or is Sonic 3 getting one as well this time? My bets currently are that Sonic 3 gets overlooked and the last two stages are two new stages instead.

32 minutes ago, Feenaw45 said:

YO

A spoiler tag for this screenshot that clearly was not intended to be revealed yet considering what a tight lip SEGA have kept on it would've been REALLY fucking appreciated my dude.

Dunno why I kidded myself that this game would be any different from Generations.

• Thumbs Up 9

3 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I'm really annoyed how we now know of FOUR returning stages and only TWO new ones. I was hoping there'd be more, oh I dunno, balance?

Think this is the end of returning stages, or is Sonic 3 getting one as well this time? My bets currently are that Sonic 3 gets overlooked and the last two stages are two new stages instead.

Except, we've already seen a screenshot of a new stage from a couple of weeks ago. We suspect that will be fully revealed next week.  It's a cathedral-like level. Sonic 3 and Sonic&Knuckles are both getting stages. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Are we even sure this is a real screen? Only asking because it looks as though there's a random waterfall in the middle of all the water that doesn't look as though it belongs. Where Tails is stood.

The fight does look interesting enough though.

As for Chemical Plant returning... Oh, I am loving all the differences in that Act 2 footage, as well as that remix.

Just now, Zippo said:

Except, we've seen a screenshot of a new stage a couple of weeks ago. It's a cathedral-like level. Sonic 3 and Sonic&Knuckles are both getting stages. 

Like the idea of a cathedral-like level. I've mostly been following trailers so I guess I missed something?

But seriously, having knowledge of another stage does not mean that Sonic 3 is getting its own separate stage.

Wow they're really just letting the news fly today. Never would' ve expect that boss in green hill zone. 

We don't know exactly how big it is but I think they're revealing way too much of this game. So far we know seven zones, the infamous Death Egg Robot being the very first boss and animated cinematics, and those last two would've been great "OH SHIT" moments to have in game instead of having those things casually spoiled before release.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, JaidynReiman said:

Like the idea of a cathedral-like level. I've mostly been following trailers so I guess I missed something?

But seriously, having knowledge of another stage does not mean that Sonic 3 is getting its own separate stage.

Taxman already confirmed that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are being considered seperately and thus both getting at least one stage each.

2 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Really? This was kind of hard to miss. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAjdISIXgAATXeB.jpg:small

Also, Taxman already confirmed that both games will get representation in stages. 

4 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Are we even sure this is a real screen? Only asking because it looks as though there's a random waterfall in the middle of all the water that doesn't look as though it belongs. Where Tails is stood.

Right above the grass? Those are the "fins" of a totem pole, not a waterfall.

I don't mind reused stages.

If anything, I find it a sign of confidence from the new developers that they have incessantly played the originals before and know them front to back, and so have their own ideas on how to mix up old classics out of pure experience, dedication, and adoration for them.

Give me Sonic's Greatest Hits Redux as their first official entry, and then go for 100% original content afterward.

• Thumbs Up 6