Gentle Criminal

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Chemical Plant is a lame choice. So boring, especially after it was already in Generations.

At least it looks like they've changed a lot more than in Green Hill and Flying Battery.

27 minutes ago, Feenaw45 said:

YO

sonic-mania-tails.jpg

AO rating incoming?

I'm really annoyed how we now know of FOUR returning stages and only TWO new ones. I was hoping there'd be more, oh I dunno, balance?

At least the returning stages are getting remixed nicely. Loving the look of Chemical Plant Act 1.

Think this is the end of returning stages, or is Sonic 3 getting one as well this time? My bets currently are that Sonic 3 gets overlooked and the last two stages are two new stages instead.

32 minutes ago, Feenaw45 said:

YO

A spoiler tag for this screenshot that clearly was not intended to be revealed yet considering what a tight lip SEGA have kept on it would've been REALLY fucking appreciated my dude.

Dunno why I kidded myself that this game would be any different from Generations.

3 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I'm really annoyed how we now know of FOUR returning stages and only TWO new ones. I was hoping there'd be more, oh I dunno, balance?

Think this is the end of returning stages, or is Sonic 3 getting one as well this time? My bets currently are that Sonic 3 gets overlooked and the last two stages are two new stages instead.

Except, we've already seen a screenshot of a new stage from a couple of weeks ago. We suspect that will be fully revealed next week.  It's a cathedral-like level. Sonic 3 and Sonic&Knuckles are both getting stages. 

Are we even sure this is a real screen? Only asking because it looks as though there's a random waterfall in the middle of all the water that doesn't look as though it belongs. Where Tails is stood.

The fight does look interesting enough though.

As for Chemical Plant returning... Oh, I am loving all the differences in that Act 2 footage, as well as that remix.

Just now, Zippo said:

Except, we've seen a screenshot of a new stage a couple of weeks ago. It's a cathedral-like level. Sonic 3 and Sonic&Knuckles are both getting stages. 

Like the idea of a cathedral-like level. I've mostly been following trailers so I guess I missed something?

But seriously, having knowledge of another stage does not mean that Sonic 3 is getting its own separate stage.

We don't know exactly how big it is but I think they're revealing way too much of this game. So far we know seven zones, the infamous Death Egg Robot being the very first boss and animated cinematics, and those last two would've been great "OH SHIT" moments to have in game instead of having those things casually spoiled before release.

1 minute ago, JaidynReiman said:

Like the idea of a cathedral-like level. I've mostly been following trailers so I guess I missed something?

But seriously, having knowledge of another stage does not mean that Sonic 3 is getting its own separate stage.

Taxman already confirmed that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are being considered seperately and thus both getting at least one stage each.

2 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Really? This was kind of hard to miss. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAjdISIXgAATXeB.jpg:small

Also, Taxman already confirmed that both games will get representation in stages. 

4 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Are we even sure this is a real screen? Only asking because it looks as though there's a random waterfall in the middle of all the water that doesn't look as though it belongs. Where Tails is stood.

Right above the grass? Those are the "fins" of a totem pole, not a waterfall.

I don't mind reused stages.

If anything, I find it a sign of confidence from the new developers that they have incessantly played the originals before and know them front to back, and so have their own ideas on how to mix up old classics out of pure experience, dedication, and adoration for them.

Give me Sonic's Greatest Hits Redux as their first official entry, and then go for 100% original content afterward.

Have you seen those gimmicks? Especially the water. Tails inyected some green stuff into the blue fluid and made him jump higher. Then those purple moving platforms, the Carnival night spiral, the new tubes in which you can choose your path, the balls at the beginning that lift you up... Way better than Generations, imo.

That is insane level design. Loving it. They almost (not quite) made that look like a different level altogether. Can see the influence from other classic games here too, namely Sonic CD.

The music is godlike too. Just WOW. 

I don't even care if it's Chemical Plant again - this is one amazing looking level.

5 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Oh yeah if we're keeping count of gimmick re-use as a means to deconfirm stages, Metallic Madness is out due to the usage of the criss-cross zoom tube style in Chemical Plant.

And Carnival Night. 

I'm not really sure how to feel about Chemical Plant being the Sonic 2 stage (assuming it's the only one) as it's my favorite level from that game but I also love the majority of the levels and would've loved to have seen mystic caves or oil ocean, something different 

but then seeing this stage (and it's Act 2 so I figure Act 1 will take place in the more traditional setting) I can't believe all the new gimmicks we saw. They're getting very creative here and that's so important at this stage of Sonics career. We've seen almost everything when it comes to sonic games so I'm thrilled to see new gimmicks even in a returning stage. 

1 minute ago, molul said:

We have video for the first act too:

Aww man... they brought back the staircases getting submerged in chemicals from Act 2. I always hated that part lol 

I feel a little disappointed since Chemical Plant count as a water level which means Hydrocity probably  won't make it?