Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

1 minute ago, ShroomZed said:

Oh yeah I do concede Hydrocity is the faster and the more fun of the two, I'm just saying that they both follow the same basic principle; don't fuck up and you don't go in the water. It's better designed too with it's obvious Chemical Plant influence. 

Also, I know music is subjective, but I think Hydrocity's music is way better

6 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Dunno how we got to Tee Lopes symbolically sodomizing Jango but you do you

Because we're all in love with Whitehead and Tee, there's no denying what they've done to us with Mania, it's like getting a massage, going to a buffet, getting another massage while being sung to with a guitar backing, then watching the sun set in a mountainous forest before laying in bed with all the windows open and enjoying the fresh scents and the sounds of nature, while being hand-fed strawberries.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

1. Animated trailers don't take that much budget. 

2. When Aaron was talking about the classic delivery of action (aka the S3&K cutscenes), he talked about the opening with Knuckles punching Super Sonic. So, I doubt it.

Yes; the sprite only cutscenes and similar moments are a key part of the original games; as even Sonic CD has many of them!  I think that is not something they would want to set aside, and if there is a need for larger character animations on screen such as Tails and the many animals in the Sonic 2 ending scenes, we already know from the title screen that there is an incredible amount of pixel art talent at work and at play on the team!!

I feel as though more animated work will be through the youtube channel.  Maybe there could be a short web series; that might be similar to the style of the Sonic CD credits animation zone montage, but, the scenes could/would last longer!  The overall episodes would not have to be very long.  Perhaps there would be more collaborations with musicians, and include Tee's soundtrack or perhaps additional work/song edits or slight remixes (eg if he was working with the animation team, he might add unique emphasis where specific actions are happening?) from him!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/sonic-mania-is-already-so-good-id-buy-its-incomplete-version-as-is/

Some notes here I'm probably super late on. The writer says there were 7 levels in the build he played. Also, there was in fact, a Sonic Mania media event a couple of weeks ago, as we thought. Sega only lifted embargoes this morning. Given how Aaron has said they are not revealing any more of the brand new stages, I wonder if the last level of the current 7 is the cathedral zone or another remastered zone. 

• Thumbs Up 4

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/sonic-mania-is-already-so-good-id-buy-its-incomplete-version-as-is/

Mirage Saloon Zone, on the other hand, thrills by combining the Sonic Spinball motif of bounce-everywhere design with some really wild "terrain can disappear at any moment" tension. (Oh, and "outlaw" animals appear on occasion in this Saloon, who are teased by "wanted" posters scattered around.)

THE BOYS ARE IN THE GAME?!

"All of that is nearly overshadowed by its splendid boss fight against Dr. Robotnik. In this fight, your foe continually marches rightward, destroying and deforming terrain by stomping on it with his robosuit. As Sonic runs rightward in kind, he must take advantage of newly appearing terrain to get a good jumping angle on Robotnik to take him out. "

So yeah, first boss is Death Egg Robot

5 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Some notes here I'm probably super late on. The writer says there were 7 levels in the build he played. Also, there was in fact, a Sonic Mania media event a couple of weeks ago. Sega only lifted embargoes this morning. Given how Aaron has said they are not revealing the brand new stages, I wonder if the last level is the cathedral zone or another emastered zone. 

From the quote, it sounds like Mirage Saloon and Studiopolis were the only new stages there "and two brand-new designs"

Green Hill, Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway, and Chemical Plant would mean 6 total levels, so is the 7th level the Sonic 3 rep that hasn't been revealed? (Would make since to reveal one from each game, as if there are 2 from each game the other stage would be a mystery)

• Thumbs Up 6

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/299648/SEGA_and_ATLUS_Announce_E3_2017_LineUp.php

Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

If breakneck speed is more your thing, we’ve got you covered! Booth #4312 will feature playable stations for the ultimate celebration of past and future with Sonic Mania™, an all-new 2D adventure with stunning HD retro style graphics running at smooth 60FPS and featuring all your favourite classic characters. Sonic Forces™, from the development team behind Sonic Colors™ and Sonic Generations™, will be your second dose of speedy Sonic action where you will get to experience fast-paced gameplay as Modern Sonic, thrilling platforming as Classic Sonic, and powerful gadget action as your own custom Hero Character! Those who come by to play Sonic could receive a special Sonic E3 giveaway item.

• Thumbs Up 4

44 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

That got my attention, too.

I won't get my hopes up and keep my expectations in check. That said…if Bark, Bean, and Nack are actually in this game…holy

• Thumbs Up 4

If it indeed follows Sonic 3 & Knuckles then it kind of makes sense having that leaked boss as the Green Hill Zone boss, if Green Hill is the very first level as we expect it to be.

Eggman would have been last seen entering the atmosphere in his final contraption from Doomsday Zone missing it's legs and arms etc so having something similar looking rebuilt from the pieces of his escape mech sounds like something that could have happened.

images.png.6f9121083c98bb6444ba7c9eefa9f0c2.png

Edit : OMG?! The BOYS?! Arstechnica better not have worded that wrong...that certainly sounds like a sure thing...dont go getting my hopes up!!

1 hour ago, ShroomZed said:

Oh yeah I do concede Hydrocity is the faster and the more fun of the two, I'm just saying that they both follow the same basic principle; don't fuck up and you don't go in the water. It's better designed too with it's obvious Chemical Plant influence. 

It's not possible to avoid going into the water, it's possible to  get out of the water most of the time...but Hydrocity Zone's paths always lead you back into the water.

Also, as a chemist, I fucking love the chemistry gimmicks going in Chemical Plant Zone. I can enjoy it being a Chemical Plant, instead of the zone treating the pink liquid as glorified water as in 2 and Generations.

Might it be too much to ask to have some chemical trails go up in flames and open new areas thanks to Sonic running so fast the heat generated from the kinetic energy causes it to combust? 

• Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's not possible to avoid going into the water, it's possible to  get out of the water most of the time...but Hydrocity Zone's paths always lead you back into the water.

I know. But with Hydrocity you usually can be going fast enough when you are intially submerged to exit just as quickly. 

1 minute ago, -Robin- said:

Also, as a chemist, I fucking love the chemistry gimmicks going in Chemical Plant Zone. I can enjoy it being a Chemical Plant, instead of the zone treating the pink liquid as glorified water as in 2 and Generations.

Might it be too much to ask to have some chemical trails go up in flames and open new areas thanks to Sonic running so fast the heat generated from the kinetic energy causes it to combust? 

That's unlikely, but I'd love to see if the fire shield does anything dangerous in this zone.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

If it indeed follows Sonic 3 & Knuckles then it kind of makes sense having that leaked boss as the Green Hill Zone boss, if Green Hill is the very first level as we expect it to be.

Eggman would have been last seen entering the atmosphere in his final contraption from Doomsday Zone missing it's legs and arms etc so having something similar looking rebuilt from the pieces of his escape mech sounds like something that could have happened.

images.png.6f9121083c98bb6444ba7c9eefa9f0c2.png

Edit : OMG?! The BOYS?! Arstechnica better not have worded that wrong...that certainly sounds like a sure thing...dont go getting my hopes up!!

Maybe this is what's happening, Mania is a direct sequel to S3&K and the reason you're fighting the Death Egg robot in Green Hill is because that's where the shell crash landed and Eggman had just enough time to get it up and running with a couple of new tweaks thrown in.

4 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

From the quote, it sounds like Mirage Saloon and Studiopolis were the only new stages there "and two brand-new designs"

Green Hill, Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway, and Chemical Plant would mean 6 total levels, so is the 7th level the Sonic 3 rep that hasn't been revealed? (Would make since to reveal one from each game, as if there are 2 from each game the other stage would be a mystery)

Yup, sounds like the Sonic 3 stage will be revealed next week. It also sounds like the build that was played by journalists will be the build that's playable at E3, which means 4 basically unseen levels will be available to play, and that means there's going to be a ton of new footage on Tuesday. Given how we haven't gotten a full playthrough (stage AND boss) since back in fucking July, I'm more than fine with that. Also, expect to see Mania get a lot of coverage on Treehouse Live. Nintendo and Sega are going to promote the shit out of this. 

6 hours ago, Remy said:

....I don't know if this is just me personally but I still generally think Water + Sonic = Bad. The only water level I really love is Hydrocity. I don't mind chemical plant as an adult because you can avoid most of the underwater parts, but it still kinda sucks whenever Sonic goes for a  dip in the  drink. 

I could just be holding a grudge from Sonic 1 tho...

You've probably heard this many times before, but I think Sonic's handled water levels pretty cleverly in comparison to his contemporaries. Where most water levels in platformers require the player to spend the majority of the time underwater, Sonic games allow the player to bypass the water entirely if they're skilled enough to avoid it or find faster routes that cut down on the time spent in the water if you happen to fall into it or are forced to travel in it.

Even Labyrinth and Scrap Brain Act 3 had shortcuts, and yeah those are the most difficult levels in Sonic 1. But looking back on it from the perspective of a series veteran I think the shortcuts and alternate routes were handled well.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Maybe this is what's happening, Mania is a direct sequel to S3&K and the reason you're fighting the Death Egg robot in Green Hill is because that's where the shell crash landed and Eggman had just enough time to get it up and running with a couple of new tweaks thrown in.

Then I hope we see Eggman still hammering and desperatly slapping things into the robot when we meet him.

It really takes a game of this quality by a different team to see how lacklustre the efforts from both Sonic Team and Dimps have been for the past 15 or so years. 

Still boggles my mind how a small team of indie developers can craft up a very promising looking AAA quality Sonic game (guys when was the last time we could actually say this with confidence?) when others have not been able to. (Not to say Sonic Colours or Generations were bad games - I enjoyed them. But they weren't exactly up to the mark with other platformers)

I really hope Sega do the smart thing and keep this team on board for future games. Or better, get them to work with Sonic Team to show them how to perfectly implement classic style gameplay.

August can't come soon enough. This is up there amongst my most wanted games alongside Super Mario Odyssey. Cannot wait to play it on my Switch.

• Thumbs Up 4

New Chemical Plant is dope. Love it, love it, love it. Music has some similarities with Wacky Workbench.

Also, that bouncy goo, yeah Wacky Workbench. 

I'm not that bothered by the choice for Chemical Plant. Yeah, it's kinda boring that it's back again since it was in Generations, but I don't like Sonic 2 much and I can't think of any other zone I feel strongly enough that I would rather have.

11 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Mirage Saloon Zone, on the other hand, thrills by combining the Sonic Spinball motif of bounce-everywhere design with some really wild "terrain can disappear at any moment" tension. (Oh, and "outlaw" animals appear on occasion in this Saloon, who are teased by "wanted" posters scattered around.)

90% chance Arstechnica is just being dumb. 7% chance they mean the Hardboiled Heavy. 2.9% chance posters of Badniks have been added.

2 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

I seem to really be the odd one out with the desired stage roster. I've seen a fair bit of Marble Garden hate, but I really like it. It's a fairly slow level but my god I love its aesthetic. Ruined cities in the background, purple mountaintops underneath a sunny sky. I think it has a lot of potential for how it could be expanded upon by the Mania team. I always viewed Hydrocity as a bit moody in comparison.

That said, I'd want Ice Cap, but we all know why that might not happen.

You're not alone. Marble garden was one of my favorite stages in sonic 3 because of the challenge that came with it. I also love the aesthetic design and i beat it would look gorgeous with that taxman magic. I love the music as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marble Garden would have been super memorable if the sunset backdrop seen in the scene transition to Carnival Night was used as the background texture of Act 2. Running closeup to the ruins with that color pallet would have been sublime.

FyrOHH0i5UTV4PjArd1pYCHVLmv0vaHdotRpmU6sO655jcMkm5e-K8cHbSdgUOkafBHFvqjAR9gYgN5d7l-Lzpa2gtjsog3Zjwl7xZ-KPLgCG8e4hSqM_ttDrozOcUWW

As it stands though, the corkscrew down running segments from Marble Garden, where you can choose to jump off at any point for one of two routes, has been carried over to Stardust Speedway here, so if we're going by "Zone-specific tropes seen in other stages = not in Mania proper" then MG's out of luck.

• Thumbs Up 5

I too would have appreciated Marble Garden Zone, perhaps even with more Marble Zone - you could add a lava-filled underworld beneath it, which if anything would complement its earthquake-prone nature.  Ah well.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with Ice Cap Zone.

• Thumbs Up 1