Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Also, as a chemist, I fucking love the chemistry gimmicks going in Chemical Plant Zone. I can enjoy it being a Chemical Plant, instead of the zone treating the pink liquid as glorified water as in 2 and Generations.

Might it be too much to ask to have some chemical trails go up in flames and open new areas thanks to Sonic running so fast the heat generated from the kinetic energy causes it to combust? 

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's not possible to avoid going into the water, it's possible to  get out of the water most of the time...but Hydrocity Zone's paths always lead you back into the water.

I know. But with Hydrocity you usually can be going fast enough when you are intially submerged to exit just as quickly. 

1 minute ago, -Robin- said:

Also, as a chemist, I fucking love the chemistry gimmicks going in Chemical Plant Zone. I can enjoy it being a Chemical Plant, instead of the zone treating the pink liquid as glorified water as in 2 and Generations.

Might it be too much to ask to have some chemical trails go up in flames and open new areas thanks to Sonic running so fast the heat generated from the kinetic energy causes it to combust? 

That's unlikely, but I'd love to see if the fire shield does anything dangerous in this zone.

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

If it indeed follows Sonic 3 & Knuckles then it kind of makes sense having that leaked boss as the Green Hill Zone boss, if Green Hill is the very first level as we expect it to be.

Eggman would have been last seen entering the atmosphere in his final contraption from Doomsday Zone missing it's legs and arms etc so having something similar looking rebuilt from the pieces of his escape mech sounds like something that could have happened.

images.png.6f9121083c98bb6444ba7c9eefa9f0c2.png

Edit : OMG?! The BOYS?! Arstechnica better not have worded that wrong...that certainly sounds like a sure thing...dont go getting my hopes up!!

Maybe this is what's happening, Mania is a direct sequel to S3&K and the reason you're fighting the Death Egg robot in Green Hill is because that's where the shell crash landed and Eggman had just enough time to get it up and running with a couple of new tweaks thrown in.

4 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

From the quote, it sounds like Mirage Saloon and Studiopolis were the only new stages there "and two brand-new designs"

Green Hill, Flying Battery, Stardust Speedway, and Chemical Plant would mean 6 total levels, so is the 7th level the Sonic 3 rep that hasn't been revealed? (Would make since to reveal one from each game, as if there are 2 from each game the other stage would be a mystery)

Yup, sounds like the Sonic 3 stage will be revealed next week. It also sounds like the build that was played by journalists will be the build that's playable at E3, which means 4 basically unseen levels will be available to play, and that means there's going to be a ton of new footage on Tuesday. Given how we haven't gotten a full playthrough (stage AND boss) since back in fucking July, I'm more than fine with that. Also, expect to see Mania get a lot of coverage on Treehouse Live. Nintendo and Sega are going to promote the shit out of this. 

6 hours ago, Remy said:

....I don't know if this is just me personally but I still generally think Water + Sonic = Bad. The only water level I really love is Hydrocity. I don't mind chemical plant as an adult because you can avoid most of the underwater parts, but it still kinda sucks whenever Sonic goes for a  dip in the  drink. 

I could just be holding a grudge from Sonic 1 tho...

You've probably heard this many times before, but I think Sonic's handled water levels pretty cleverly in comparison to his contemporaries. Where most water levels in platformers require the player to spend the majority of the time underwater, Sonic games allow the player to bypass the water entirely if they're skilled enough to avoid it or find faster routes that cut down on the time spent in the water if you happen to fall into it or are forced to travel in it.

Even Labyrinth and Scrap Brain Act 3 had shortcuts, and yeah those are the most difficult levels in Sonic 1. But looking back on it from the perspective of a series veteran I think the shortcuts and alternate routes were handled well.

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Maybe this is what's happening, Mania is a direct sequel to S3&K and the reason you're fighting the Death Egg robot in Green Hill is because that's where the shell crash landed and Eggman had just enough time to get it up and running with a couple of new tweaks thrown in.

Then I hope we see Eggman still hammering and desperatly slapping things into the robot when we meet him.

It really takes a game of this quality by a different team to see how lacklustre the efforts from both Sonic Team and Dimps have been for the past 15 or so years. 

Still boggles my mind how a small team of indie developers can craft up a very promising looking AAA quality Sonic game (guys when was the last time we could actually say this with confidence?) when others have not been able to. (Not to say Sonic Colours or Generations were bad games - I enjoyed them. But they weren't exactly up to the mark with other platformers)

I really hope Sega do the smart thing and keep this team on board for future games. Or better, get them to work with Sonic Team to show them how to perfectly implement classic style gameplay.

August can't come soon enough. This is up there amongst my most wanted games alongside Super Mario Odyssey. Cannot wait to play it on my Switch.

New Chemical Plant is dope. Love it, love it, love it. Music has some similarities with Wacky Workbench.

Also, that bouncy goo, yeah Wacky Workbench. 

I'm not that bothered by the choice for Chemical Plant. Yeah, it's kinda boring that it's back again since it was in Generations, but I don't like Sonic 2 much and I can't think of any other zone I feel strongly enough that I would rather have.

11 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/sonic-mania-is-already-so-good-id-buy-its-incomplete-version-as-is/

Mirage Saloon Zone, on the other hand, thrills by combining the Sonic Spinball motif of bounce-everywhere design with some really wild "terrain can disappear at any moment" tension. (Oh, and "outlaw" animals appear on occasion in this Saloon, who are teased by "wanted" posters scattered around.)

THE BOYS ARE IN THE GAME?!

90% chance Arstechnica is just being dumb. 7% chance they mean the Hardboiled Heavy. 2.9% chance posters of Badniks have been added.

2 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

I seem to really be the odd one out with the desired stage roster. I've seen a fair bit of Marble Garden hate, but I really like it. It's a fairly slow level but my god I love its aesthetic. Ruined cities in the background, purple mountaintops underneath a sunny sky. I think it has a lot of potential for how it could be expanded upon by the Mania team. I always viewed Hydrocity as a bit moody in comparison.

That said, I'd want Ice Cap, but we all know why that might not happen.

You're not alone. Marble garden was one of my favorite stages in sonic 3 because of the challenge that came with it. I also love the aesthetic design and i beat it would look gorgeous with that taxman magic. I love the music as well.

Marble Garden would have been super memorable if the sunset backdrop seen in the scene transition to Carnival Night was used as the background texture of Act 2. Running closeup to the ruins with that color pallet would have been sublime.

FyrOHH0i5UTV4PjArd1pYCHVLmv0vaHdotRpmU6sO655jcMkm5e-K8cHbSdgUOkafBHFvqjAR9gYgN5d7l-Lzpa2gtjsog3Zjwl7xZ-KPLgCG8e4hSqM_ttDrozOcUWW

As it stands though, the corkscrew down running segments from Marble Garden, where you can choose to jump off at any point for one of two routes, has been carried over to Stardust Speedway here, so if we're going by "Zone-specific tropes seen in other stages = not in Mania proper" then MG's out of luck.

I too would have appreciated Marble Garden Zone, perhaps even with more Marble Zone - you could add a lava-filled underworld beneath it, which if anything would complement its earthquake-prone nature.  Ah well.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with Ice Cap Zone.

3 hours ago, -Robin- said:

Marble Garden would have been super memorable if the sunset backdrop seen in the scene transition to Carnival Night was used as the background texture of Act 2. Running closeup to the ruins with that color pallet would have been sublime.

FyrOHH0i5UTV4PjArd1pYCHVLmv0vaHdotRpmU6sO655jcMkm5e-K8cHbSdgUOkafBHFvqjAR9gYgN5d7l-Lzpa2gtjsog3Zjwl7xZ-KPLgCG8e4hSqM_ttDrozOcUWW

As it stands though, the corkscrew down running segments from Marble Garden, where you can choose to jump off at any point for one of two routes, has been carried over to Stardust Speedway here, so if we're going by "Zone-specific tropes seen in other stages = not in Mania proper" then MG's out of luck.

Y'know what I just realized? Tails could fly Sonic all night to get to Carnival Night Zone but in game, his flight lasts maybe 8 seconds? What the hell Tails? Step up your game! 

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

90% chance Arstechnica is just being dumb. 7% chance they mean the Hardboiled Heavy. 2.9% chance posters of Badniks have been added.

Don't get my hopes up even by .1 percent. 

Hold up... so according to the elevator we got Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, and then M (for Mania).

Sonic CD isn't shown on there... and its timeslot in the timeline hasn't ever officially been confirmed.

Now another interesting fact is that we are getting Stardust Speedway PAST. Or, at least what CD considers past.

Here is my theory (and feel free to weigh in if you got comments): Sonic CD happens AFTER Sonic Mania.

Thus, visiting the Sonic CD stages you play in the "past" versions BECAUSE the past IS THE PRESENT.

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> K -> M -> CD

Could that be why CD isn't even on the elevator? Because it hasn't happened yet?

It would make sense why we get zones from CD but in their PAST version (and then the time-travelling mechanic wouldn't be needed to be implemented).

Opinions? Thoughts? Likes? ;)

1 minute ago, Gemster312 said:

Hold up... so according to the elevator we got Sonic 1, 2, 3, K, and then M (for Mania).

Sonic CD isn't shown on there... and its timeslot in the timeline hasn't ever officially been confirmed.

Now another interesting fact is that we are getting Stardust Speedway PAST. Or, at least what CD considers past.

Here is my theory (and feel free to weigh in if you got comments): Sonic CD happens AFTER Sonic Mania.

Thus, visiting the Sonic CD stages you play in the "past" versions BECAUSE the past IS THE PRESENT.

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> K -> M -> CD

Could that be why CD isn't even on the elevator? Because it hasn't happened yet?

It would make sense why we get zones from CD but in their PAST version (and then the time-travelling mechanic wouldn't be needed to be implemented).

Opinions? Thoughts? Likes? ;)

I think the reason it's not on there is because they never really had a specific spot it had to happen in

If I could retcon anything, I'd forcibly put Sonic CD between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Sonic doesn't meet Tails yet. Metal Sonic's in disrepair. Then the Death Egg Saga happens and there we go. Makes more sense than it happening after 3K where Tails is MIA. Amy being absent is less troublesome because if Adventure still matters, she's seen reminiscing her time with Sonic in CD, as if a significant amount of time has passed. Tails doesn't have anything like this, just a flashback of when they first met.

*cough* but canon don't matter in sanic why do i bother

7 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

...what? No, that doesn't make any sense. CD's "past" is like, hundreds of years or something. Long enough that places have radically changed between past and present, long enough for it to be worth it to Eggman to send his machines into the past to secure his control.

Just now, Diogenes said:

...what? No, that doesn't make any sense. CD's "past" is like, hundreds of years or something. Long enough that places have radically changed between past and present, long enough for it to be worth it to Eggman to send his machines into the past to secure his control.

Maybe little planet (because of the time stones) ages and changes at a different pace?

I mean, it's been clear that eggman can build a lot of shit REALLY quickly... it wouldn't be surprising if he managed to whip up that place in a matter of months.

Time dilation?

Highly unlikely, but what if time on Little Planet ran different to normal time somehow? So years on Little Planet were hours to Earth?

As I say, very unlikely, but if you want to discuss head-canons, there's a wild one.

It was just a random train of thought to explain why CD wasn't on the elevator and why we are getting specifically PAST Stardust Speedway.

But hey... that's just a theory. A GAME THEORY.