Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

2 hours ago, BenderMania said:

I know the design is similar to the Sonic 1&2 design but with the whiter color from the Sonic 3 item box, but why is there a small blue square on the bottom-middle of the item box? I don't recall this design being from previous Sonic games, correct me if I'm wrong? So if isn't, then what does the small blue square mean?

13 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's the company logo on that brand of TV monitors, those are usually placed there in the middle on old TVs.

Yeah I think that it's meant to replicate a SEGA logo or something lol. 

and yeah, maybe I am being a bit paranoid about the Eggman monitor, It's out of the way so I doubt a novice player would even be able to make it to the top of that loop! It's definitely there for the OG Sonic 1 experts. 

I think it was confirmed by the team that the Super Peel Out isn't coming back for Mania (as is the Insta-Shield). But maybe we will get more solid confirmation on that closer to release Tails 395 :). 

6 hours ago, JingleBoy said:

Yeah I think that it's meant to replicate a SEGA logo or something lol. 

and yeah, maybe I am being a bit paranoid about the Eggman monitor, It's out of the way so I doubt a novice player would even be able to make it to the top of that loop! It's definitely there for the OG Sonic 1 experts. 

You described it really well! ^_^   i'm trying to figure out which loop that is; it must be in the new part of the zone so that makes it a bit less obtrusive.  There is the first loop in act 1 with the standard shield on the roof which is still the same!  Then, the loop with a 1UP is in act 2; so this may be an all new loop. 

I do still think there are a few new items on their way in this game, the combine ring was good to reveal now, but something more extra special would want to stay a secret.  It would be amazing to at least in a future game by this team, have full and smooth animations for the Pogo and Rocket Shoes items!  Even the 8 bit ones were quite wonderful, so to see what this team would create would be incredible!!

This is going to be seen as a nitpick, and yeah, it is, but I don't like Sonic's sprite in this one. From Sonic 3 onwards, he was always that darker "modern Sonic" blue, which always gelled nicely with my OCD. But with Mania we have a sequel that reverts him back to sky blue before Adventure where he goes back to the darker shade. 

It was kind of cool to be able to say Sonic's quills and fur got darker during the months where Eggman repaired the Death Egg and manipulated Knuckles. I don't really have that anymore. Life is pretty tough sometimes :P

Ha, I kinda enjoyed that, would't mind if there was more in the future but it was made to specifically fit with that TV screen in Studiopolis. Everytime I hear that music it makes me hyped for Mania, it's gonna be BIG. 

23 hours ago, VolatileMike said:

This is going to be seen as a nitpick, and yeah, it is, but I don't like Sonic's sprite in this one. From Sonic 3 onwards, he was always that darker "modern Sonic" blue, which always gelled nicely with my OCD. But with Mania we have a sequel that reverts him back to sky blue before Adventure where he goes back to the darker shade. 

It was kind of cool to be able to say Sonic's quills and fur got darker during the months where Eggman repaired the Death Egg and manipulated Knuckles. I don't really have that anymore. Life is pretty tough sometimes :P

Don't worry I've got an even bigger nitpick for you; I've never actually liked Sonic's sprite in Sonic 3. I never liked it even when I was a kid, he's just way too chunky for me. I get that technically it's probably more advanced than the others but the original sprite just has more personality imo.

Also, he somehow only has 4 fingers as opposed to 5 in his Sonic 1/2/Mania sprite and that just messes with my OCD :huh:

soniccrouch.png      Sonic_crouch3.gif   

• Thumbs Up 5

I wonder if the underground-cave themed Green Hill act in Mania will feature water and whether it will move above ground near the end and include some of the GH act3 layout from Sonic 1 (only act 1&2 of Sonic 1's GH is covered in Mania's first GH act).

latest?cb=20160723140456

It does have a Mystic Cave zone vibe. inb4 there will totally be the "dreaded pit" :P

I guess the appearance of an underground stage reduces the likelihood that Mystic Cave will be the remade stage from Sonic 2.

Also, which other cave-dwelling badniks can we expect to see aside from the Marble zone bat? I'm guessing we'll see the Caterkiller badnik.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Right Ya Bums, 

Here is what I think of Sonic Mania.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/08/sonic-mania-hands-on-impressions/

I do agree with you that if the stages were to be as awesome as Studioplis, then Mania would be the greatest Sonic game we've had in forever. This would have been the game fans waited 16 years for and it is a shame that they had to wait even longer. 

For me, the more I watch the trailer, the more I soften up on the game. Because the music, combined with the rolling physics and momentum and the beauty that is Studioplis sent a giant thrill up my spine. It was a intense feeling but I call it hype.  

On 23/08/2016 at 3:40 AM, Terriful said:

This kinda made me laugh. It says Sonic Mania so I should post it here right? Right?!

I really liked how someone made use of that dancing Eggman from Studiopolis Zone and make it in to a cartoon like if it was from the 1930s, this is genius I like it.

Nice posters! I hope Metal Sonic has a major role in Mania. Anyone think we will see at least one new stage during PAX?

13 hours ago, BenderMania said:

WHAT ARE THEY UP TO? :P

There's a Hatsune Miku poster on the wall to the left and a Sonic/Metal Sonic poster on the right. Nice.

Intresting, I wonder what they are planning, is it another zone they are working on?

44 minutes ago, TheBlueGuardian said:

Intresting, I wonder what they are planning, is it another zone they are working on?

well i suppose that the engine etc. is finished so I think it can only be a zone or a boss.

Given for much detail they gave into Sonic and his animations, I would really love to see how Tails and Knuckles will look in this and if they're going to give that amount to detail to their animations like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 7

51 minutes ago, Mania Pipe said:

Given for much detail they gave into Sonic and his animations, I would really love to see how Tails and Knuckles will look in this and if they're going to give that amount to detail to their animations like Sonic.

Yeah, I loved Knuckles' ledge animation in the classics so I wonder what that'll look like with more detail and frames of animation.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of animations, let's change the subject for something completely different entirely. I kid, but let's do it, because I haven't expressed my opinion on the Special Stage factor in Sonic Mania.

We've seen these guys:

tumblr_ob3dzvTRHh1s1rmqpo1_500.png

But how much of this game we know to call it a Special Stage portal already? While it's likely, I would dare to say I'm against it for the sake of not this again (the pet peeve reason) and a more valid reason bellow that I think some, if not most of you might agree (I hope). But at least hear me out because, well, it's a forum and let's discuss, ok? :):) 

So, The Taxman confirmed that we'll see things from Sonic 1 to 3&K and even CD, so it's clear that Sonic Mania is Sonic 4 chronologically. But what does that have to do with Special Stages? Well, let's take a look back on how you access Special Stages in the classic games:

-Sonic 1/CD SS: 50+ rings = big rings at the end of the stage;

-Sonic 2 SS: 50+ rings = checkpoints opens the portal;

-Sonic 3&K: no rings needed, big rings are hidden in every stage;

In every game the Special Stage is accessed in its own method. And that's very cool. Sonic 3&K even used Sonic 2's method and added a BONUS STAGE to collect goodies, HOLY SHIT.

My point is clear: Sonic Mania's Special Stage should be something else and the big rings we've seen hidden in Green Hill and Studiopolis should Bonus Stage to collect rings, lifes, shields...

But how do you collect the Chaos Emeralds, then??

Like this:

Sonic1MasterSystemChaosEmerald.png

Let's be honest. How many of you really like the Special Stages? Does anyone here love to stop the flow of the game to play a minigame incredibly frustrating that don't even require you to use the abilities you have in the game? I've read countless times people complaining about the difficulty of the Special Stages. I think the only SS that has the most acceptance is Sonic 3&K's, because it ain't such a mess. Sonic 1 is kinda good, Sonic 2 is balls -especially if you're playing Sonic+Tails- and Sonic CD is only half good in the remastered versions thanks to the widescreen and 60FPS enhancements.

The image above is from Sonic 1, the Master System version. You collect the Chaos Emeralds in Act 2 of every zone, they are hidden and require actual balls and skillz to collect. Same goes for Sonic 2 on the Master System.

Why I think this is awesome?

-You don't need to be thoroughly cautious about collecting and keeping 50 rings;

-You don't need to go through a trial and error minigame that has nothing to do with the rest of the game;

-What you really need is to play Sonic good, not "collect the blue spheres" good.

Another good example, and you knew I, of all members here, would use it, is Crash Bandicoot's skull routes:

Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3 features 5 colored gems that are completely optional, unless you want to see the true ending of the game (sounds familiar?). No, Crash doesn't go super (lol), but how do you get these gems? By playing the game like a boss! The skull routes are an alternative path within some levels, they are also known as the death routes, because they don't fuck around. They are really hard and require you to use and master all of the character's skills.

---

Honestly, this would be awesome to see in Mania, I always though it was a genius idea when I played these 8-bits Sonic games in SADX. Now with the drop dash and perfect physics, the possibilities to create a Chaos Emerald route and take your platforming, momentum and speed skills to the limit would be enormous.

What do you think?

TL;DR: hide the Chaos Emerald in the stages instead of forcing you to play a minigame.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well..I actually like special stages. always liked the concepts, except the one for sonic 4 episode one, that was just lame.

What if you can only access the special stage with 50 Rings + giant ring? just a random thought.

another thing: the sonic tumblr page is hiding at something again.

in their recent post: " #we'll give out a secret code word for a free meme tomorrow "

and the one before: " #we hear there may be special challenges #and maybe free memes #but you gotta know the secret word"

dont know if this is just a thing for fun or if there will be some new info revealed.

• Thumbs Up 2