Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

16 hours ago, BenderMania said:

There's a certain satisfaction I find about seeing the giant-ring appear at the end of the stage, knowing that you've played well to get it to appear.

I can only disagree. Back in the day, finishing Sonic 1 with all emeralds was really difficult. In the mobile remaster is much more affordable thanks to the save game feature. But anyway, it still takes time to get to the end of the act. 

To me, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was perfect. Giant rings and star posts everywhere. 

And yes, Mania looks more 32x-esque than Saturn-esque to me. At least for the resolution.

On September 1, 2016 at 4:57 AM, StaticMania said:

"Recent ST titles"

After Sonic Heroes and before Sonic Generations is the height of Knuckles' flanders-ing.

^ This. Knuckles works best as a cheerleader for Sonic. Anything else is flandering and takes too much screentime. 

I wasn't able to watch the PAX West stream... They just kept bombarding me with ads on their Twitch channel when SEGA was supposed to be on.

You didn't miss a whole lot, just Aaron showing the hosts the game; like some secrets (like a good look at the bottom path of Green Hill) and stuff. The typical info we already know like Mania will have an actual story and all that jazz.

Again, it's really nothing but it was a good time when Aaron's around. Though I was a bit disappointed that Matt from Tails Channel wasn't in the segment.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Thanks for the stream @Ryannumber1gamer.

It's was an interesting one. Aaron showed off the lowest route in GH. The lowest route (which shows off some of the underground-cave background) includes the area with the crab badnik (as teased in the announcement trailer).

Green Hill is supposed to be the tamest of the remade stages but there are plenty of routes to explore!

I noticed at 9:50 in that vid, there's an upward trail of rings that shows you were to go that moves back and forth along with the moving platform. It's just a neat little thing I noticed but i don't think that's ever been done before?

Defining point in Sonic history here. The reception for this game is remarkable, deservedly so. 

There is no way that this will just be a one time thing with the hype around this game.

Getting such a 90s vibe from that trailer. 

Oh, and did I mention that 1-up and invincibility music? ?

My one tiny nitpick with the footage is the placement of a few enemies. This was a problem I had with the classics as well and can live by it. This might just be me. 

Marking most of the points in making a fantastic game. Easily something I have never been able to say with a Sonic game since before Sonic Adventure. 

I can't wait to see more. 

13 hours ago, Adamabba said:

Mania's invincibility theme sounds alot like Twinkle Park 1:

The first song was in Genesis' Sonic 3D blast as well.

17 hours ago, Detective Paradox said:

For those who weren't able to watch the stream which was showcasing Sonic Mania, I managed to upload it on YouTube:

The area at 3:55 in the video where the player is launched by the hidden spring into the off-screen snail badnik is pretty bad design, hopefully that's not in the final product. The snail badnik is already hard to deal with as it is, with the small blue projectiles it shoots out that cover a wide radius. And that's to say nothing of the rows of spikes and Eggman monitor at the bottom of the rotating platforms the player has to avoid as it is, having to factor in the snail on top of those two is kinda ridiculous. Too many ways of getting hit in a small and slower-paced segment.

Really, I think the snail badnik could stand to be toned down in its use as well as its attacks. It rivals the Sonic 2 Metropolis badniks of aggravating enemy placement and design.

I'm still liking most of what I'm seeing though otherwise. Pretty cool that in Green Hill, taking the lower path brings you to the underground setting, well before all of the level routes converge at the end of the level.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

The area at 3:55 in the video where the player is launched by the hidden spring into the off-screen snail badnik is pretty bad design, hopefully that's not in the final product.

I agree. I see some areas where the badnik placement is pretty deliberately obstructing, like areas in Sonic CD people complain about (Quartz Quadrant badniks and ceiling hazards some of which require you to become a ball immediately or dodge after touching ground from high speed sections, for example), but Sonic CD is actually an example of the right way to do this. This particular section reminds me more of Aqua Lake from the 8-bit series where they place lobster badniks and spear hazards in the same underwater hallway. But the demo so far shows me more of the first example of placement and not the second, so this doesn't concern me really. The physics work, that's the main thing.

Also despite many people saying Spring Yard, I get more of a Stardust Speedway vibe off Studiopolis, because of the many twists in the road which lead off at different levels. And the freakin flying things pestering you all the time. Or maybe even Metallic Madness? I bet the game will have a Sonic CD feel for all the new levels actually, given that Taxman and friends no doubt studied that game more than others.