Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

20 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Ghost zone ghost zone ghost zone

Like, any kind of spooky/haunted level. Spooky mansion, graveyard, haunted forest, Halloween town, even Sandopolis Act 2 with more ghosts would be cool.

Hang Castle/Mystic Mansion has the coolest premise in any Sonic Level aside from....well probably Egg Fleet. Shame it was wasted on fucking Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, it would be cool if we get some zones shown in the Sonic megadrive comic...

Imagine fighting a giant scarecrow gardener robot! ?

Sonic Mania - PAX West gameplay

Non-commentary footage right here, nice to hear Green Hill Zone remix as a whole. Whoever played this I thought was idiot (until I realized he was specifically exploring as much as possible) and shows more of the underground path of that zone. Plus there's that bat badnik, too!

Edited by BlueFlare
Edit: correction/clarification
  • Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, BenderMania said:

Now, the reason why Aaron tried to go back up the tunnels at 8:50? My guess is that you can enter the lowest route earlier in the act, which I think you do by jumping passed the two 10-ring item boxes and invincibility box which are on the low route (just after the start of the act) just passed three small sets of spikes. Once you collected these items boxes in Sonic 1 you had no choice but to jump back up to the normal route (where you come out right by the first loop-de-loop with the shield item-box on top). In Sonic 1 if you continued to the right after the three item-boxes instead of jumping up you would die because there is a bottomless pit. However, in Mania I'm 99% certain that the bottomless has been replaced by the start of the new lowest route

2 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

Sonic Mania - PAX West gameplay

Non-commentary footage right here, nice to hear Green Hill Zone remix as a whole. Whoever played was crazy idiot but at least it shows more of the underground path of that zone. Plus there's that bat badnik, too!

Haha, I fucking called it! You do indeed enter the lower route passed the three item-boxes. The lowest route is certainly vast!

We now know that the screenshot (below) comes from the first act of GH in Mania and not the second act. Just look at 2:17 in the video!

Image result for sonic mania green hill screenshots

I enjoyed this guys playthrough of Studiopolis. He tried really hard to explore as high as possible. I like how he eventually works out how to get the extra-life item box.

There's so much to explore. So much replay value :wub:

• Thumbs Up 6

My first reaction to Green Hill was a bit unimpressed and how recycled it feels, but the latest footage really opened my eyes for the amount of exploration it has and makes it feels freshier.

2 hours ago, BenderMania said:

It's truly amazing just how many times I can listen to GHZ's theme and not get sick and tired of it. Like, I've heard and seen every possible remix of this stage at this point and I still can't wait to see Act 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ghost trope could be awesome, the possibilities for gimmicks are always great: invisible floor, fake walls, maybe even defective badniks (same way Mario has skeleton turtles).

Also would like to see tropes combined. Like Sonic 4's White Park Zone, which combined carnival with ice. I remember some fan game recreation of Dust Hill (I think it was After or Before the Sequel), which combined desert with ice, IMO the weird contrast actually worked. A zone that put two extremes together.

Rainy levels too, please. The only classic game that had a rainy zone was Sonic 2 (8-bits), Sky High Zone.

As for twist for old zones, Death Egg ruins is a must for S&K. And flooded Hidrocity could be great too.

Ah, I hadn't watched a full playthrough for Studiopolis before.  Both zones have near the end a lamppost and an opportunity to get some rings with little danger; sensible practice with a miniboss on the way.  I wonder if all the minibosses will run on similar principles to the overall zone boss - for instance, the Green Hill one being all about manoeuvring around spinning spheres?  Could Eggman replace the ball from his ball-and-chain weapon with one of those mini-Death-Eggs?  For if Sonic 4 could do it, I'm definitely expecting new twists to the bosses, not just the levels.

All the new stuff they added and new assets they created for Green Hill makes me wonder why it's even Green Hill. It must be a marketing thing or something, because they clearly didn't save much dev time for it. 

I've gone from cautious to excited for the remastered levels the more I see of them.

• Thumbs Up 7

Think those blocked off sections might be Knuckles only sections...or just embargoed for demo purposes. 

Either way, I'm pretty close to going on a media black out for this game. Just need to see the next trailer showcasing another updated classic level and a new one before firmly believing that Sonic Mania is going to be a very special game. Although I do think SEGA are going in the right direction with this.

Also, looks like Game Scoop are now excited for Sonic Mania too... 

One of the guys over on Retro just spotted something rather interesting:

The part of the Mania GH footage starting at 2:08 (YouTube time, not in-game time) has a level layout section from near the start of Palmtree Panic 2, although the objects are repositioned. That's interesting, to say the least.

Posted Image

Not that it necessarily means anything, but I thought it was a clever little… reference, if it can be called that?

It does indeed look remarkably similar to that piece of level design from Sonic CD.

What do you guys think? Intentional design (to reference Palmtree Panic from Sonic CD) or just a coincidence?

This is StealthTax, so surely it's intentional :D

I'm now going to look at all gameplay footage again to see if any designs mimic parts of Emerald Hill and Angel Island :P

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

All the new stuff they added and new assets they created for Green Hill makes me wonder why it's even Green Hill. It must be a marketing thing or something, because they clearly didn't save much dev time for it. 

I think with the release date in time for the 25th anniversary they wanted to play heavy on the nostalgia of the classic titles, hence the reimaginings. To be honest, as long as the design of the other reimagined zones features at least 90% original design and 10% rehash then I'm more than happy.

• Thumbs Up 9

Saw the recent gameplay footage of Mania and man, I'm impressed with Green Hill Zone. Level design for just this Act I looks so dense and packed, in addition to a lot of new sections never seen in the original Green Hill Zone.

Loved what I saw of Studiopolis too but seeing how expanded & changed Green Hill is, give me higher expectations for the other 'remastered' zones that will appear in Mania :). 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, RK64 said:

Saw the recent gameplay footage of Mania and man, I'm impressed with Green Hill Zone. Level design for just this Act I looks so dense and packed, in addition to a lot of new sections never seen in the original Green Hill Zone.

Loved what I saw of Studiopolis too but seeing how expanded & changed Green Hill is, give me higher expectations for the other 'remastered' zones that will appear in Mania :). 

Yes! ^_^^_^  

The team has really presented amazing results of creating two challenging zones; trying to make a new city/pinball/carnival zone, which is one of the most complex 2D zone styles in each game and having it really flourish and have great movement flow and possibly as many or more alternate paths as Carnival Night!

Then, just as much, revisiting Green Hill and tuning into the best ways to have made it really worthwhile!  Many people generally are mostly not interested in seeing this specific zone again after many times it has already been revisited, and they seemed to figure out why, and how to make it exciting as well as very replayable (it looks that way in footage at least!). :) 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Detective Paradox said:

So Nick Robinson from Polygon will be having an interview with Sonic Mania's producer pretty soon! You guys wanna ask any questions?

1) Is the Drop Dash exclusive to Sonic?

2) Will Amy and/or Metal Sonic appear in the game?

3) How many acts per Zone?

A few people have mentioned that the PAX demo was played on an Genesis Controller.

Now there is a collectors edition idea. A Gens gamepad and a physical copy of the game. SEGA TAKE MY MONEY.

• Thumbs Up 8

New video from IGN showcasing the two levels. Believe it shows a new route not discovered in previous videos of this game. It's near the end of Studiopolis.

Have a slight concern with the game at 2:25 in the video though. As Sonic was unable to return to one route in the level. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mark1 said:

New video from IGN showcasing the two levels. Believe it shows a new route not discovered in previous videos of this game. It's near the end of Studiopolis.

Have a slight concern with the game at 2:25 in the video though. As Sonic was unable to return to one route in the level. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional. 

That part at 2:25 is something I posted about a few pages back, I hope it gets fixed in the final build because being held back from exploring is frustrating especially in a game like Mania where the stages are so vast.

Direct capture footage from GameXplain, about 12 minutes long. We get to hear a decent amount of the zone select music, and the player testing out the Drop Dash mechanic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does anyone know why the t-shirts have disappeared from Amazon UK? They're not listed at all anymore, so it's not simply that they're out of stock. It's especially weird considering that Bender received one.

6 hours ago, Pawn said:

Does anyone know why the t-shirts have disappeared from Amazon UK? They're not listed at all anymore, so it's not simply that they're out of stock. It's especially weird considering that Bender received one.

Unlikely but you never know - the print quality was a little poor on my one.  In most lighting, Sonic is very hard to make out.  Perhaps they want to fix this issue?

CrcsG3CWcAE1pFQ.jpg

(The vibrancy of the colours is fine, this photo doesn't do them justice, but regardless Sonic's vibrant but very dark blue still blends into the buildings completely).

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

Direct capture footage from GameXplain, about 12 minutes long. We get to hear a decent amount of the zone select music, and the player testing out the Drop Dash mechanic.

Don't suppose anyone has an extended version of the level select music uploaded yet?  Like, wow.  That music just brought me back to the very specific era of video games.  It kind of has a Sonic R feel to it.  I just absolutely love it.

• Thumbs Up 5