Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

4 hours ago, Cyrus said:

His placement reminds me of when he's about to activate traps in Sonic 3.

That's really only the first time. Every other time he does anything in that game, he's on equal ground.

I'm curious about something:

You know with Sonic's running animation in the classics - when he gets up to speed - you see a RED circle shape which of course represents Sonic's sneakers.

Image result for sonic running animation

Well, in Mania when you run really really fast you also get a blue circle inside the red (sneakers) circle. Like this:

Image result for sonic Mania running fast animation gif

I guess the blue circle when Sonic goes really fast is supposed to represent his legs? What's strange is that I'd never seen this design before in any classic game until I played the Sonic Megamix hack earlier today. I'm just wondering if the blue circle inside the red one is an unused beta design from one of the classics or maybe it's a design Stealth came up with (he was involved in making Megamix).

It's definitely an interesting design.

Wasn't the blue circle thing from one of the beta running animations for Sonic 2?

I swear I saw something like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, Soni said:

Wasn't the blue circle thing from one of the beta running animations for Sonic 2?

I swear I saw something like that.

Found it! Yeah, you're correct.

It's an unused beta design from Sonic 2. It appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Simon Wai prototype). I just downloaded it, quickly played it and and uploaded 30 seconds of footage which shows the blue circle inside the red circle animation.

Nice!

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to hear the game's getting artwork. Kinda having my fingers crossed for the collaborating artists to Tyson Heese and co. (Sonic: Mega Drive), but I reckon it will be good nonetheless.

10 minutes ago, Fusionwatch said:

What if it's a promotional poster/box art with models made by Rafa Knight?

That was by NibrocRock, I think. Wasn't official.

Anyway, I'll have to re-do my custom box once it's out. Excitement!

25 minutes ago, Fusionwatch said:

What if it's a promotional poster/box art with models made by Rafa Knight?

That would weird and disappointing. SEGA can make their own renders without a problem and of all games that don't need 3D renders, it's this one.

8 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

you guys

YOU GUYS

What's this CE contain and how much does it cost and in comparison to the normal edition?

Maybe I shouldn't take a Twitter poll so seriously, though...

I bet those quarter of the voters already has their pre-order of Fire & ice then.

whether if it's all me is still up for debate, i won't reveal anything ;)

But yeah, I'm down for a CE of Mania. I'm always down for some cool extra stuff that comes with a good game.

It'll most likely end up being a casual buy regardless if it's a physical release or not.

I hope it's not something I regret. Buying Sonic 4: Episode II out of desperation for literally anything Sonic I could get my hands on in that drought was quite the massive mistake. Never before have I not completed a Sonic game simply because I couldn't give less of a damn about it until that game happened.

Ugh. And that annoying god damn music in that one boss that would never end. It just kept playing over and over and over again in a loop...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJZoPxpSCvU

Yeah, what Apple Kid said

This is the one situation where it's perfectly reasonable to be optimistic over a Sonic game

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Apple Kid said:

Why are you comparing this to Sonic 4 like that

If I was making a comparison the simple answer would be "Because I can."

However,  I didn't compare anything in Mania to Sonic 4. I was lamenting the last time I bought a downloadable game simply because it was in relation to Sonic and not because it was something I was particularly interested in playing.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Yeah, what Apple Kid said

This is the one situation where it's perfectly reasonable to be optimistic over a Sonic game

Yeah, well you both took it the wrong way.

No one was trying to make an argument for not being optimistic over the game. Saying that I hope I don't regret the purchase should I choose to make it one day is a position I take as someone who doesn't know if he'll have fun playing the game regardless if it's a good title or not. I'm not very fond of the Classics personally. I can tell the difference between this and Sonic 4's quality just fine though. That's why the complaint was about that game and not what I've seen in this game so far.

I didn't expect a slam on Episode II to be taken as a slam against Mania.

Well, in short you said something to the tune of "I didn't enjoy Sonic 4 so I don't know if I'll enjoy this"

It kind of implies that these games are a cut of the same cloth. They really aren't. Sonic Mania is on a completely different level in every respect.

But that isn't what you intended to say, so it's all good. 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Well, in short you said something to the tune of "I didn't enjoy Sonic 4 so I don't know if I'll enjoy this"

It kind of implies that these games are a cut of the same cloth. They really aren't. Sonic Mania is on a completely different level in every respect.

But that isn't what you intended to say, so it's all good. 

Implying that if that had been my intention, it wouldn't be all good I guess.

I doubt there was really any need to be that super specific within the post. Saying I hope I don't regret the purchase shouldn't be that big a cause for alarm. That should be true of any game. Taking that into account, bringing up the last time I had a similar purchase of a downloadable title that tried to emulate the classics and using it as an example of a purchase that didn't go as well should have been seen as a bit more natural in my eyes. I'm not exactly sure where the jump to saying that they're "cut from the same cloth" would come in. We're at way too early a stage to be making any concrete judgements about how the games will turn out. Obviously we already know that they're two completely different games made by completely different people in order to be two completely different experiences. I just wanted to rag on how awful Sonic 4 was. I don't know how Mania is going to be so I'm not going to structure my posts as though I do.

That includes assuming it's already a great game. 

And no, that's not the same thing as saying it looks bad.

• Thumbs Up 1