Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Regardless of how good it is and I'm sure it'll be good, I consider Sonic Mania to be a sideshow to the main event that is whatever Sonic 2017 will be. A collectors edition for Sonic Mania sounds a bit too grand? If one does exist, I can't imagine what a collectors edition to Sonic 2017. Has to be something bigger than what we got for Generations which was the size of a coffee maker box.

11 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Looks like some of us aren't feeling the Mania :P

Would it be a crime if they didn't?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, UmbraSageN64 said:

Would it be a crime if they didn't?

No, just socially unacceptable and incredibly uncool

Yeah it's a pretty serious crime

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Cr2xczOXEAEpVA-.jpg:large

Made a mockup. 

Before someone asks about the heavy Saturn theming:

Cr20BVoXgAAATXN.jpg

It's neat and all, but I'd hate getting the game in a jewel case. I like how the box is similar in design to Generations' and a Saturn pad would be cool, though I'd prefer a wireless one.

On another topic, the Saturn pad for this got me thinking. The Genesis games obviously didn't have rumble, but I wonder if Mania will? Some feedback when bopping Badniks or getting hit would be kind of nice.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The Genesis games obviously didn't have rumble, but I wonder if Mania will? Some feedback when bopping Badniks or getting hit would be kind of nice.

Sonic CD 2011, IIRC, does have rumble features, so it's safe to say that Sonic Mania may have it as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

No, just socially unacceptable and incredibly uncool

Yeah it's a pretty serious crime

That doesn't mean you should bully anyone for having an unpopular opinion about Mania. I thought you were better than that.

6 minutes ago, SSJ Diamond said:

I just tought about something...

What if they are working to make this work on PS4Pro with native 4K?

I don't know how it is here, but I believe the game Transistor was created in like 240p since the sprites scale fine and making native 1080p (Or here 4K) sprites would be a much more work. So probably not, but I assume the game will look perfectly fine and sharp in 4k. Not a tech guy, though.

Well...

Cr24G0jWcAACNsr.png

I made an XBO version of this too, but you get the idea.

That looks great. I'd love something like that, but with new art.

I started making something similar around a year ago for a hypothetical Sonic Anthology, but never finished.

Sonic CD 2011, IIRC, does have rumble features, so it's safe to say that Sonic Mania may have it as well.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that. Cool.

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

That looks great. I'd love something like that, but with new art.

Once that new Sonic Mania art that Aaron mentioned gets released, I'll probably update it with that. 

49 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Well...

Cr24G0jWcAACNsr.png

Image result for my little pony friendship cries happy gif

@Tracker  :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Looks amazing, seriously! If we get a collector's edition physical release then it needs to look as good as this!

49 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Yep, my android phone has the rumble "Haptic FX" setting. It's really cool. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Looks like some of us aren't feeling the Mania :P

Looks like it.

It's gonna take quite a huge make over for me to be overtly excited about it myself.

I feel nothing but happiness for those who are looking forward to it though.

• Thumbs Up 3

And all things considered, I suppose it's perfectly okay to be cautious.

I have complete faith in the Mania project. Apart from someone drugging Tax-Stealth and shipping them off to Timbuktu and replacing PagodaWest with Dimps, I'm expecting something that's at least on par with Sonic CD or Sonic 2 when they're at their best.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel like I should give this game a chance. From what I've seen so far, I'm actually impressed. The soundtrack is pretty addicting and memorable, so that's a plus. I might've been a little harsh about it before, but now...I want to see more of it. They could've at least made Amy a playable character, but it's no big deal. Maybe she could be DLC at some point? Who knows? As long as I get to play as Knuckles again, that's all that truly matters in the end. Mania isn't the best game ever as of now, but that doesn't mean I should just ignore it. We'll see how things go from here...

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

And all things considered, it's perfectly okay to be cautious.

I have complete faith in the Mania project. Apart from someone drugging Tax-Stealth and shipping them off to Timbuktu and replacing PagodaWest with Dimps, I'm expecting something that's at least on par with Sonic CD or Sonic 2 when they're at their best.

Despite how noncommittal I wish to be when talking about it, I'm honestly not very cautious about it's quality. I'm sure it'll be fine.

The classics just aren't for me. By the time I played Sonic 2 as a kid I was already enamored with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and it didn't really come packaged with the nuances about the later 3-D game that I fell in love with. 

To this day I haven't been able to beat Sonic's 1 to 3 without pausing Mega Collection and saving at a point where I might die. Partaking in this wasn't very much fun. Motivation for me to brave the possibility of being kicked back to the first level wasn't feasible as there weren't any story related reasons for me to continue and the failure to grasp the gameplay made me feel sad rather then any drive to conquer it. On top of that, their designs weren't the more modern ones I liked, I missed the 3-D plain, they couldn't talk, and there were only about 1 or 2 playable characters. 

I was molded into a completely different Sonic kid then most of the people excited about this game. It's a passing interest of association that I have with Mania as a result. Classic and Modern Sonic may share the same name but I'll be damned if they don't feel like two completely different entities. 

I'll get the game for sure but my worry about how much fun I'll have stems from more my position on which version of Sonic I'm more comfortable with. The actual quality is an entirely different matter.

Sonic 4: Episode II didn't really hinge on any of that though. It was just a bad game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As from someone who didnt grow up with the old games, I am pretty hyped for this game. But im 90% sure i am gonna be horrible at this game.

1 hour ago, SSJ Diamond said:

As from someone who didnt grow up with the old games, I am pretty hyped for this game. But im 90% sure i am gonna be horrible at this game.

Not growing up with the old games isn't all it comes down to of course. Certain factors about the games you hold more true to yourself over others can also come into play. I knew there were going to be people who didn't grow up with the Classics that were also going to be excited for this.

We all think differently about the series regardless of which age we're in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was born in the late 90s and ended up playing all the games in order starting with my sister's Genesis. I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I'm just curious of how much of it will be remixes and how much will be new content. I'd prefer more new than remix, but I'll be happy with whatever we get. It would be cool if they remixed stages that were cut out of the original games. Do you guys think Sonic Mania will be a one time thing or that we'll be seeing more classic games after this? (Also Sega pls port Sonic 1 & 2 Remasters to Console and PC.)