Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

1 hour ago, Apple Kid said:

Why are you comparing this to Sonic 4 like that

If I was making a comparison the simple answer would be "Because I can."

However,  I didn't compare anything in Mania to Sonic 4. I was lamenting the last time I bought a downloadable game simply because it was in relation to Sonic and not because it was something I was particularly interested in playing.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Yeah, what Apple Kid said

This is the one situation where it's perfectly reasonable to be optimistic over a Sonic game

Yeah, well you both took it the wrong way.

No one was trying to make an argument for not being optimistic over the game. Saying that I hope I don't regret the purchase should I choose to make it one day is a position I take as someone who doesn't know if he'll have fun playing the game regardless if it's a good title or not. I'm not very fond of the Classics personally. I can tell the difference between this and Sonic 4's quality just fine though. That's why the complaint was about that game and not what I've seen in this game so far.

I didn't expect a slam on Episode II to be taken as a slam against Mania.

Well, in short you said something to the tune of "I didn't enjoy Sonic 4 so I don't know if I'll enjoy this"

It kind of implies that these games are a cut of the same cloth. They really aren't. Sonic Mania is on a completely different level in every respect.

But that isn't what you intended to say, so it's all good. 

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Well, in short you said something to the tune of "I didn't enjoy Sonic 4 so I don't know if I'll enjoy this"

It kind of implies that these games are a cut of the same cloth. They really aren't. Sonic Mania is on a completely different level in every respect.

But that isn't what you intended to say, so it's all good. 

Implying that if that had been my intention, it wouldn't be all good I guess.

I doubt there was really any need to be that super specific within the post. Saying I hope I don't regret the purchase shouldn't be that big a cause for alarm. That should be true of any game. Taking that into account, bringing up the last time I had a similar purchase of a downloadable title that tried to emulate the classics and using it as an example of a purchase that didn't go as well should have been seen as a bit more natural in my eyes. I'm not exactly sure where the jump to saying that they're "cut from the same cloth" would come in. We're at way too early a stage to be making any concrete judgements about how the games will turn out. Obviously we already know that they're two completely different games made by completely different people in order to be two completely different experiences. I just wanted to rag on how awful Sonic 4 was. I don't know how Mania is going to be so I'm not going to structure my posts as though I do.

That includes assuming it's already a great game. 

And no, that's not the same thing as saying it looks bad.

Regardless of how good it is and I'm sure it'll be good, I consider Sonic Mania to be a sideshow to the main event that is whatever Sonic 2017 will be. A collectors edition for Sonic Mania sounds a bit too grand? If one does exist, I can't imagine what a collectors edition to Sonic 2017. Has to be something bigger than what we got for Generations which was the size of a coffee maker box.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Cr2xczOXEAEpVA-.jpg:large

Made a mockup. 

Before someone asks about the heavy Saturn theming:

Cr20BVoXgAAATXN.jpg

It's neat and all, but I'd hate getting the game in a jewel case. I like how the box is similar in design to Generations' and a Saturn pad would be cool, though I'd prefer a wireless one.

On another topic, the Saturn pad for this got me thinking. The Genesis games obviously didn't have rumble, but I wonder if Mania will? Some feedback when bopping Badniks or getting hit would be kind of nice.

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The Genesis games obviously didn't have rumble, but I wonder if Mania will? Some feedback when bopping Badniks or getting hit would be kind of nice.

Sonic CD 2011, IIRC, does have rumble features, so it's safe to say that Sonic Mania may have it as well.

17 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

No, just socially unacceptable and incredibly uncool

Yeah it's a pretty serious crime

That doesn't mean you should bully anyone for having an unpopular opinion about Mania. I thought you were better than that.

6 minutes ago, SSJ Diamond said:

I just tought about something...

What if they are working to make this work on PS4Pro with native 4K?

I don't know how it is here, but I believe the game Transistor was created in like 240p since the sprites scale fine and making native 1080p (Or here 4K) sprites would be a much more work. So probably not, but I assume the game will look perfectly fine and sharp in 4k. Not a tech guy, though.

Well...

Cr24G0jWcAACNsr.png

I made an XBO version of this too, but you get the idea.

That looks great. I'd love something like that, but with new art.

I started making something similar around a year ago for a hypothetical Sonic Anthology, but never finished.

Sonic CD 2011, IIRC, does have rumble features, so it's safe to say that Sonic Mania may have it as well.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that. Cool.

49 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Well...

Cr24G0jWcAACNsr.png

Image result for my little pony friendship cries happy gif

@Tracker  :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Looks amazing, seriously! If we get a collector's edition physical release then it needs to look as good as this!

49 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Yep, my android phone has the rumble "Haptic FX" setting. It's really cool. 

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Looks like some of us aren't feeling the Mania :P

Looks like it.

It's gonna take quite a huge make over for me to be overtly excited about it myself.

I feel nothing but happiness for those who are looking forward to it though.

And all things considered, I suppose it's perfectly okay to be cautious.

I have complete faith in the Mania project. Apart from someone drugging Tax-Stealth and shipping them off to Timbuktu and replacing PagodaWest with Dimps, I'm expecting something that's at least on par with Sonic CD or Sonic 2 when they're at their best.