Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

47 minutes ago, BenderMania said:

I can't remember who said it but the ability to regain control of Sonic's jump after jumping from a roll has been added to the normal moveset in Mania.

Hold up, really? That's always bugged the heck out of me with the Classics, I'm so glad it's gone!

I know it has been announced that you can play as Tails and Knuckles, but can you play with two characters at the same time? Have one follow you like in 2&3 or be able to switch like in Sonic 4 Episode 2? 

This would be cool and offer a lot of options.

Sonic solo.

Tails solo.

Knuckles solo.

Sonic + Tails.

Sonic + Knuckles.

Tails + Knuckles.

7 hours ago, Jango said:

Also, to do the drop dash, you have to hold down + the jump button.

Nope, you have to hold down the jump button. Or that's what I've read everywhere.

Instashield could perfectly be there. It's just tap vs hold.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suspect a lot of people simply never mastered the instashield; certainly, it's quite possible to play S3&K without it.  That isn't to say that it's not a good move, but I think it's likely that they'll be designing the game such that you wouldn't actually need the instashield even if you had it.  Notably, in Studiopolis we see an Orbinaut-style Badnik with non-harmful satellites that bounce you away and disappear when hit; it's still an obstacle that can't simply be spindashed through, but it doesn't cost you your rings or a shield.

I agree that there's no way that the instashield is a problem for drop dash, unless the player has a rather worrying problem in the thumb.

Really, would it be that difficult to master a "tap button" action? I don't think so.

My thought process is mostly that the Insta-Shield was only in one--technically two---games out of the entire classic series, so I don't reallyt feel like we're missing that much by its exclusion.  I think it's a good mechanic, just not a mandatory one, and not one that I feel will impact the gameplay too significantly.

• Thumbs Up 8

That looks cool. $70 is really steep, though. I don't think I can afford that, assuming it comes to Europe.

The box art being Sonic 1's US box art in the Japanese style is neat.

Assuming this is real, I'm admittedly disappointed that it doesn't include a disc of the game; and instead has a download key. Having fingers crossed for a console collector's edition that does include a disc/cartridge (speaking under the assumption that Mania is announced for the NX) for its respective platform.

Other than that, it looks beautiful. Especially love the retraux American Sonic 1-style boxart (hopefully we can get a high-res image of that) and the Genesis cartridge container.

The price might not actually be too bad depending on how good that statue is. If it really is 12 inches tall then that'd put it at just about the same size as the original F4F Classic Sonic statue which I think sold for a higher price when it was released compared to this Collector's edition where the statue is just one part.

It's a shame that there's no physical disc here (assuming this photo is the finalised product) but I'm very excited for this and I'll definitely be putting a pre-order in if it'll be available on UK sites!

• Thumbs Up 1

Comparing this statue to my 10 inch classic Sonic figure and renders of Generations' classic Sonic, this one seems to have slightly longer legs. Is that an intentional nod to Sonic's legs growing a bit during the Saturn era or am I just that much of a

nerd

?

Where the fuck are people seeing $70!? I can't even find a listing let alone where playwebgamez is?

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty iffy about this. Not exactly what I had in mind. Kinda hoping it's for consoles anyway, not planning on getting it on PC.

This is pretty much on the same level as Generations' collectors edition minus the book and soundtrack, which I do wish it had, or hope it gets, assuming this is a leaked prototype or something. It comes out next spring, so I guess it could change.

Disappointed that there's no soundtrack in the Collector's Edition - though I hope they do at least release one on iTunes or something. Otherwise, this looks pretty nice. Will be interesting to see how pricey it is if it comes to the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh...

IMO it just looks too similar to the Generations CE. The figure looks more in line with the Classic Sonic prize figure, which is nice, but the lack of stuff like a physical disc or OST is pretty naff. I'm also really peeved that they went with Mega Drive theming. Yes, it's obvious why; but just about every interview about this game has pushed the Saturn connection. I'm sure the target market (Sonic fans) would've bought it with Saturn theming regardless, with that also being more true to the product... bleh. 

I'll never forget you, Segata...

Anyway my final peeve is that if that's the 'new art' Aaron was referring to... well, it's not exactly new:

eoE4H9ai.jpg

I could do with finding a better image than that, and sure it's reshaded (and with a spiffy new background) on the box, but... ergh. At least composite a new pose, surely.

Other than that though, it's fair for what it is; and gives American fans a better chance of nabbing the sort of stuff we got in the Generations CE. So it's fair does I suppose! 

• Thumbs Up 1