Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Can't believe I'm only just now thinking about this, but why isn't the insta-shield in the game? It can't really be about the single button move-set thing, it only requires you to tap the button again to use it. While the drop-dash only needs you to press and hold the button a second time. There's no inconvenience here, but even if there was (possibly programming wise) they could map that ability to a different button, like what Lost World did with the homing kick.

Okay so this may be my first negative rant about Sonic Mania. 

I've given it thought and I think the thing with the absence of the insta-shield that bugs me the most out of all of this is that the explanation of why it was removed is justified by a false dichotomy; it wouldn't even interfere with the drop-dash. To activate the drop-dash, you need to hold the jump button mid-jump and keep holding until you land. To activate the insta-shield, you simply 'tap' the jump button mid-jump. Tap vs Hold. I cannot think of any situation where an insta-shield would put you at a disadvantage or how you could confuse that with the drop-dash. If anything, the insta-shield can provide a visual cue that, if you keep holding, you're about ready to start your drop-dash. Press, Sonic flashes, then the flash wraps around Sonic as you keep holding as he charges the drop-dash. Doesn't that sound like it'd look cool?!

I'd be less peeved about this if the devs just said "we didn't really like the move, so we're trying this instead," rather than say that it wouldn't work.

It would work, they just don't wan't to do it. And that's fine, but at least come clean about it. Or map it as the regular shield's special action. Something.

Its a long shot but what if they had it as an unlockable/selectable from you can choose from the menu. Not only would this give more play style variety but  it'd also be nice to have just for variety's sake, personally i'm all in for the drop dash over the insta shield but I can see why people would be miffed at its removal.

It's not a terrible amount of interference, but I could see including the instashield leading to unwanted drop dashes from players who habitually hold the button after instashielding.

And honestly I still don't see the loss of the instashield as a problem. Aside from popping orbinauts and nicking Mecha Sonic's Metropolis boss mode it never got much use from me.

Maybe it's because I play Sonic 3 & Knuckles every day NO I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM SHUT UP I DO NOT NEED TO SEE MY PSYCHIARIST but that split-second of invincibility has saved my skin several times and that extended reach has proven indispensable in my endless endeavor to punish Launch Base Zone (from the Orbinauts to Big Arm) for making my childhood a living hell.

No, really, once I mastered the insta-shield, Launch Base becomes a breeze. Phasing through the flamethrower hazards, getting the steel Orbinauts, protection from those bastard punching frogs and shaming Big Arm when it does that stupid "hey i'm just gonna move left and right on the floor you can't touch me heehee" but then insta-shield right through those spikes and reminding it WHO'S KING.

The likes of 06 had real issues with having both a high speed vertical and horizontal move mapped to the same button, separated entirely by incredibly precise context detection and milliseconds of difference between a "tap" and a "hold". We've all seen the problem of the game mistaking your choice of lightspeed dash or bounce in life or death situations.

Mania's Instashield would be far less of a problem. If you want to use the Drop Dash you'll probably be holding down the button for the majority of Sonic's descent in his jump arc while the Instashield is, of course, a quick tap of the button. 

I'd like to imagine they'll be giving at least some consideration to the lack of an Instashield. I don't think we'll have a situation like the Starlight Zone Orbanaughts that simply cannot be hit safely without powerups. 

The insta-shield as three features;

1)  it extends Sonic's attack radius

2) renders him temporarily invincible

3) if Sonic jumps from a roll (like in Sonic 1&2) he'll be unable to change his jump direction and speed. Using the insta-shield, however, makes him regain control of the jump.

I can't remember who said it but the ability to regain control of Sonic's jump after jumping from a roll has been added to the normal moveset in Mania. Which means the extended attack radius and brief invincibly is what's been dropped.

I'm indifferent. I guess I'm so used to playing Sonic 1, 2 & CD without the insta-shield that I don't use it much in Sonic 3. I've never found it to be a critical part of Sonic's skill-set. Not having the insta-shield makes it more important to learn and adapt to the enemies attacks/makes it more of a challenge, which I prefer to be honest.

I don't see the Drop Dash as a logical replacement for the Insta-shield because it's a different type of move altogether. Drop-Dash on it's own, however, seems alright. It (from what we've seen) appears to be an optional move and not forced on the player, which I like.

Also, to do the drop dash, you have to hold down + the jump button. It wouldn't get in the way of the insta shield, but okay... I say add an option to switch between the drop dash or the insta shield before starting a new game.

47 minutes ago, BenderMania said:

I can't remember who said it but the ability to regain control of Sonic's jump after jumping from a roll has been added to the normal moveset in Mania.

Hold up, really? That's always bugged the heck out of me with the Classics, I'm so glad it's gone!

I know it has been announced that you can play as Tails and Knuckles, but can you play with two characters at the same time? Have one follow you like in 2&3 or be able to switch like in Sonic 4 Episode 2? 

This would be cool and offer a lot of options.

Sonic solo.

Tails solo.

Knuckles solo.

Sonic + Tails.

Sonic + Knuckles.

Tails + Knuckles.

7 hours ago, Jango said:

Also, to do the drop dash, you have to hold down + the jump button.

Nope, you have to hold down the jump button. Or that's what I've read everywhere.

Instashield could perfectly be there. It's just tap vs hold.

I suspect a lot of people simply never mastered the instashield; certainly, it's quite possible to play S3&K without it.  That isn't to say that it's not a good move, but I think it's likely that they'll be designing the game such that you wouldn't actually need the instashield even if you had it.  Notably, in Studiopolis we see an Orbinaut-style Badnik with non-harmful satellites that bounce you away and disappear when hit; it's still an obstacle that can't simply be spindashed through, but it doesn't cost you your rings or a shield.

I'd much rather have my instashield than the drop dash tbh.. Atleast both, as Indigo Rush said, they wouldn't create problems for eachother unless the player is simply dumb. With that being said, I find the instashield a lot more useful considering I haven't seen ONE instance where the dropdash is atleast 70% necessary, and the shield, when mastered to a certain extent, can save you A LOT, and be more useful overall. Plus it requires some skill and practice to time right, so it gives the player a reason to master it. That's just my opinion though.

I agree that there's no way that the instashield is a problem for drop dash, unless the player has a rather worrying problem in the thumb.

Really, would it be that difficult to master a "tap button" action? I don't think so.

My thought process is mostly that the Insta-Shield was only in one--technically two---games out of the entire classic series, so I don't reallyt feel like we're missing that much by its exclusion.  I think it's a good mechanic, just not a mandatory one, and not one that I feel will impact the gameplay too significantly.

Just now, Cyrus said:

The box art is gorgeous too.

That's what I meant mainly. But everything is designed so well from the colors to the chraracters...

Assuming this is real, I'm admittedly disappointed that it doesn't include a disc of the game; and instead has a download key. Having fingers crossed for a console collector's edition that does include a disc/cartridge (speaking under the assumption that Mania is announced for the NX) for its respective platform.

Other than that, it looks beautiful. Especially love the retraux American Sonic 1-style boxart (hopefully we can get a high-res image of that) and the Genesis cartridge container.