Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

2 hours ago, baba_944 said:

Apologies for asking about this again (I'll look back at my old post preceding this one), but how an I let "Amazon" take my pre-order now so I don't have to worry about it? 

Just order it like you would anything else. It goes down as a pre-order since it obviously isn't out yet and all pre-orders on Amazon stay uncharged for until they actually ship your order.

Looks like I misunderstood the question the question. My bad!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, baba_944 said:

Apologies for asking about this again (I'll look back at my old post preceding this one), but how an I let "Amazon" take my pre-order now so I don't have to worry about it? 

1 hour ago, Joy said:

Just order it like you would anything else. It goes down as a pre-order since it obviously isn't out yet and all pre-orders on Amazon stay uncharged for until they actually ship your order.

I think baba_944 is asking if it's possible for them to take PAYMENT now so they don't have to worry about having the funds later.  In which case... I'm 99% sure the answer is "you can't", unfortunately.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, JezMM said:

Nothing wrong with the artwork they're using but I really hope they're placeholder.  Sonic standing with fist held up is such a.... static pose for what is such a monumental event in the series such as what Mania is.  It doesn't capture the liveliness of the game at all for me, he needs a new and very exciting pose I feel to represent the kind of flashiness we got out of say, the title screen animation.  Hell a number of frames from that animation would make more exciting poses.  I think his facial expression being very unexcited in both pictures also adds to the dullness.

I don't really mind the pose and overall think it looks quite nice, as stated previously, but I definitely think a game as big as Mania deserves some brand-new artwork too. As for who to do it, they need look no further than Spaz over at Archie Comics, as his Sonic Archives covers prove he is extremely good at mimicking the style of the classic official artwork.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I don't really mind the pose and overall think it looks quite nice, as stated previously, but I definitely think a game as big as Mania deserves some brand-new artwork too. As for who to do it, they need look no further than Spaz over at Archie Comics, as his Sonic Archives covers prove he is extremely good at mimicking the style of the classic official artwork.

Spaz is great, though I think he messes Sonic's quills up at times. Like here:
Sonic_Archives_15_new.jpg

or on this one

Another tip for those who live outside North America and want to pre-order this:

Use a storage and shiping service called Shipito.

This service receives your order for you and keeps it safe in a "locker" untill you request them to ship it to you. But here's the catch: their shiping partners are waaaaaaay cheaper than Amazon's. For example, the Sonic Mania CE + shiping to Brazil (where I live) would cost a total of 199 dolars (taxes over here absurd, I know).

So basically what you need to do is:

1. Create an account on Shipito, which will automatically book you a locker in one of their warehouses in the States for free, and the address of said warehouse.

2. Buy Sonic Mania and use this address (which will be free, since Amazon is offering free shiping for NA).

3. When the item arrives at your locker, Shipito will e-mail you a photo of the package.

4. Select one of their shiping partners and now use your real address.

5. Wait.

6. Save a lot of money in shiping.

7. ???

8. Profit. Play the game.

For more on Shipito, google it ;)

3 hours ago, Jango said:

Another tip for those who live outside North America and want to pre-order this:

Use a storage and shiping service called Shipito.

This service receives your order for you and keeps it safe in a "locker" untill you request them to ship it to you. But here's the catch: their shiping partners are waaaaaaay cheaper than Amazon's. For example, the Sonic Mania CE + shiping to Brazil (where I live) would cost a total of 199 dolars (taxes over here absurd, I know).

So basically what you need to do is:

1. Create an account on Shipito, which will automatically book you a locker in one of their warehouses in the States for free, and the address of said warehouse.

2. Buy Sonic Mania and use this address (which will be free, since Amazon is offering free shiping for NA).

3. When the item arrives at your locker, Shipito will e-mail you a photo of the package.

4. Select one of their shiping partners and now use your real address.

5. Wait.

6. Save a lot of money in shiping.

7. ???

8. Profit. Play the game.

For more on Shipito, google it ;)

Good idea for people who live in Europe and other countrys..

I'm so glad that Sonic Mania has the collectors edition but still bummed that it is limited time and not at other stores like best buy, etc..

Hey guys, collector's edition aside, how would you all feel if they pulled off a Sonic 3 and Knuckles and made a DLC pack that extends on Sonic Mania? Like having more levels and perhaps more playable characters and extending the story of Sonic Mania? Like how Sonic and Knuckles did with Sonic the Hedgehog 3? What do you all think of this idea?

• Thumbs Up 1

No, I don't think DLC is needed for Mania. Unless it's in-game DLC like how Sonic 4 had Episode Metal; that would be interesting.

But I see no reason to add on to what Mania has already? We have the main 3 already and since Mania is said to be longer than Generations and will have 3&K level transitions to tell its story, I'd say there's no need.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

No, I don't think DLC is needed for Mania. Unless it's in-game DLC like how Sonic 4 had Episode Metal; that would be interesting.

But I see no reason to add on to what Mania has already? We have the main 3 already and since Mania is said to be longer than Generations and will have 3&K level transitions to tell its story, I'd say there's no need.

It's not like I said there was a need. It's more of a "what if" scenario, if you ask me. I would personally be fine with no DLC, personally. :P

Wait, there's a collectors edition! Sign me up, I'm definitely pre-ordering! It just sucks it's NA only... ;(

Hopefully, something pops up for Australia, or I'll just have to buy from Amazon with US dollars.

13 hours ago, Soni said:

Personally I'll be hoping for a Sonic Mania 2 right away and for it to have other characters added if this game only has the basic 3 guys as the playables. regardless I'll still get Sonic Mania... However... Well bit of a small rant. I think it's kinda sad how SEGA and even a lot of the fan-base considers those 3 along with Eggman to be the only important characters in the series more or less. With some for no reason outright against the idea of even adding Amy. And yes I know Amy has been discussed here before... but I really think having at least 1 girl in a group of playable characters is important, and adding Amy wouldn't even be shoehorning one in really as she been around for ages. I do speak out-of some bias as I prefer female characters often, but I believe what I'm saying overall is still right. Anywho if we are lucky maybe Amy is in the game as a hidden unlockable character. And if not then I'd vote for that DLC should indeed be a thing and would happily pay 5$ for it personally. Somebody might try to tell me that I should be just happy we are getting anybody beyond just Sonic at all... Well I'm not, because to me ATM it's barely much different then otherwise. What can I say? I have my own preferences. =P

Spoiler

A note: I also would like to see Metal-Sonic playable if A Sonic Mania 2 ever happens. x)

• Thumbs Up 6

I wonder if the main reason for this game not being confirmed for NX is probably due to Nintendo not feeling comfortable with giving NX dev kits to indies. 

If they added more players in a (so much anticipated already) sequel, I'd rather they took the risk to make each level playable only with a certain character, basing such levels on the character's moveset.

You might think "But I don't want to be forced to playing with Amy or Tails!". I hear you, but I would find it more fun, more varied. It's like in Mario games, where many levels are based on a certain Mario suit, or on Yoshi's moveset. 

With this approach, developers wouldn't have the unnecessary difficulty of making all levels suitable for different character abilities.

Unfortunately I think Sonic 06 took this approach so it wouldn't be very popular. But I think they could do it right. To me, Sonic 06's problem was the game itself, not that you played with many characters.

Oh, and no, I wouldn't like they went with DLCs. If anything, free updates with new unlockable characters.

14 hours ago, Flamerstreak said:

Hey guys, collector's edition aside, how would you all feel if they pulled off a Sonic 3 and Knuckles and made a DLC pack that extends on Sonic Mania? Like having more levels and perhaps more playable characters and extending the story of Sonic Mania? Like how Sonic and Knuckles did with Sonic the Hedgehog 3? What do you all think of this idea?

It wouldn't be quite the same thing though.  Sonic & Knuckles didn't "add" to Sonic 3.  It "finished" what it had started.  They weren't intended to be split, Sonic 3 on it's own was not intended as a complete story which they THEN decided to add more to.  Like others, I'd rather just see a new game get made than drip feed us content, especially if Mania as it is has been stated to be a very full experience.

1 hour ago, molul said:

If they added more players in a (so much anticipated already) sequel, I'd rather they took the risk to make each level playable only with a certain character, basing such levels on the character's moveset.

You might think "But I don't want to be forced to playing with Amy or Tails!". I hear you, but I would find it more fun, more varied. It's like in Mario games, where many levels are based on a certain Mario suit, or on Yoshi's moveset. 

With this approach, developers wouldn't have the unnecessary difficulty of making all levels suitable for different character abilities.

Unfortunately I think Sonic 06 took this approach so it wouldn't be very popular. But I think they could do it right. To me, Sonic 06's problem was the game itself, not that you played with many characters.

Oh, and no, I wouldn't like they went with DLCs. If anything, free updates with new unlockable characters.

You kind of shot your own idea in the foot with your example - yes certain levels in Mario are geared towards a certain power-up or Yoshi use, but they are always clearable without them due to it being possible to lose power-ups by taking damage.

The whole idea behind Sonic design for multiple characters is to have particular routes only accessible to particular characters - they did this beautifully in S3&K (well, regarding Sonic vs Knuckles, Tails didn't get much to call his own but yeah) with some stages being entirely different when played as Knuckles via routes only he could access.  The mobile versions of Sonic 1 and 2 also added brand new routes for Tails and Knuckles that were basically like having new levels to play that often took advantage of their abilities - they were even playable as Sonic too thanks to them adding a single player Tails flight carry mechanic when playing as Sonic + Tails.

If developers want to design areas that focus on unique character abilities, all they have to do is make the entrance to those areas be inaccessible without said abilities, which elegantly doubles as a gateway to check that the player themselves understands those abilities before the level throws some real challenges at them.

Players who want the unique character experiences can seek them out, players who just want to play as one character will never even know the other character areas are there.  Everyone wins.

• Thumbs Up 8

You know how this version of Sonic art:

e5RwTev.jpg

...is based off-of this art from Sonic CD:

Image result for sonic cd art

Think I prefer CD's version. The blue color looks nicer, stands out better.

I hope we get some new Mania Sonic art which isn't just based on art from the classics.

2 hours ago, JezMM said:

It wouldn't be quite the same thing though.  Sonic & Knuckles didn't "add" to Sonic 3.  It "finished" what it had started.  They weren't intended to be split, Sonic 3 on it's own was not intended as a complete story which they THEN decided to add more to.  Like others, I'd rather just see a new game get made than drip feed us content, especially if Mania as it is has been stated to be a very full experience.

Technically, S&K did add to Sonic 3 as well as "finished what it started". It did both, well, in a sense for the "adding" part, since the two weren't supposed to be two different games. By "add", I meant extend on it (I Don't believe I said add, no matter how similar it may be to extend), in the sense that they had to in order to make the full game for the Sega Genesis. I never said they added to the game like Sonic 3 was already complete, though it may seem I implied so, but it wasn't really my intention.

Still, there seem to be other games with DLC that adds on to an already complete game in some way. Not saying that is a good reason to add more to Mania, but that partially inspired me to make the post, not exactly the Sonic 3 and Knuckles thing. We could still get DLC for Mania that doesn't involve adding to the story, like playable characters and such, but the question is; will we get it?

But in the end, what I said was just an idea. NOTHING more.

I gave in and ordered the PC version. At least i know if something comes out here I can cancel it so better to be safe than sorry. I genuinely can't wait to for this and the game itself

If I simply pre-order it, I don't have to pay anything?? I didn't knew that o.o It's like if I reserve the product? And I can cancel?! I GOTTA RUN AND PRE ORDER IT!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2016 at 9:54 PM, Flamerstreak said:

I would say a amazing idea but it kinda would be confusing abit.. But still would be awesome though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Soni said:

So it's pretty much confirmed that Mania is coming to Japan as well, which is pretty obvious.

http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicMania/

The site is up too.

That's good news to hear man.. By the way I enjoy this trailer too much because of the hype in the trailer.. :)

Edited by Timthegamer12