Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Stuff from the Stream:

• More Classic levels than new ones.
  • Sonic, Tails and Knukles only playable, No hidden unlockables, no Mighty/Ray etc.
  • There is a new item in the game not used before.
  • Project 2017 is coming Winter 2017, no new info yet.

I just noticed that the sky's reflected on the wings of the title screen's emblem. The attention to detail in these graphics is amazing, I really hope the animation budget wasn't blown on what we've been shown so far.

27 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Stuff from the Stream:

• More Classic levels than new ones.
  • Sonic, Tails and Knukles only playable, No hidden unlockables, no Mighty/Ray etc.
  • There is a new item in the game not used before.
  • Project 2017 is coming Winter 2017, no new info yet.

I'm totally down with Sonic, Tails & Knuckles only being playable. Of course they could be lying.......

A new item, maybe related to the Chaos Emeralds or Super Sonic???

As for "More Classic levels than new ones". Waits for SEGA to do damage control :P 

Remember Mania is "bigger than Gens". Gens has nine main zones. So maybe Mania has five classic zones (one from Sonic 1,2, CD, 3 and S&K) and four new zones, so it would have nine zones like Gens. Or maybe 10 classic ones (two from each classic game) and four new zones?

Regardless, I'm sure it will turn out damn good!

Also, thought I'd post this video. The highlight is in Studiopolis. We see a route which hasn't been shown off yet:

I'll also hold a full comment until we learn more but I gotta say... this is kind of what I was growing to be afraid of.

Here's the thing, it's not just the level layouts that I'm excited for. From what we've been shown so far, this game looks drop dead gorgeous. Studiopolis is vibrant, full of life, and really shows what's possible for new, classic styled zones with current hardware and care. I really hope they don't waste too much energy bringing in old assets we've already seen numerous times already.

Yes, the new Green Hill looks good but... it's still Green Hill. I'd very much rather have something new over it.

1 minute ago, Cyrus said:

Just what is that blue ring item box? I'm guessing that it gets turns the giant ring wireframes into accessable giant rings.

When you lose rings, the box condenses every 20 rings you have into 1 giant ring to make it easier to recollect them. Inspired by the Knuckles Chaotix item I think.

Kinda disappointed that we're getting more old levels but i'll wait and see what they do with them because for all we know some of them could get changed up so much that they'll be a different stage entirely and thats not to mention the fact that we're still getting new zones with this so this is only a minor negative for me.

44 minutes ago, Adamabba said:

Iizuka just said on the aforementioned stream that there will be more Classic levels than new ones.

UTxIfjl.jpg

On a more serious note, this just makes me more interested in seeing how re-imagined the returning stages really are. While the level retreads are probably the only thing I dislike about Mania, I probably won't be too bothered if the developers ended up throwing some really creative twists into whatever environments we revisit.

I've seen people throw around the idea of exploring the underwater remains of the destroyed Death Egg as an example of a neat re-imagining. Getting a chance to see old levels in that same "familiar, but extremely fresh" kind of nature is definitely something I would be okay with.

Initially when I heard the classic stages will outnumber the new ones, it felt as though a huge weight just came crashing down on me. But after 10 or 15 minutes I got over it and it doesn't really bother me at all anymore. I'm incredibly excited to see stages from Sonic 3 & K and CD I love with these beautiful crispy new graphics, smooth as eggs 60 fps, and remixed tracks YES please ?!!

Besides, I like to think if this game does well, they may make another, with more original stages, and maybe even an extra character or two like Amy or even Mighty (I'm not gonna let myself get excited about Mighty, but let me tell you the fact Iizuka didn't completely shoot down the idea of Mighty coming back really gets me going) 

So only Sonic, Tails and Knuckles and more old than new.

Not even surprised, I mean did people really think Mania is going to really push barriers? I mean, I would love to see Amy in a playable form in a Classic game and have new and original stages as well.

But I don't expect any of this to realistically happen for Sonic Mania... 1.

I mean, despite of the bumouts, It's not like this is preventing people of just not buying Mania? Is it

Because if people seriously won't buy Mania because of this then those people are just being unreasonable.

I mean, it's not like Gens 3DS that they're literally pasting Classic levels, design and everything, and give it a modern; pixelated makeover.

I mean, we already saw from Green Hill alone that it's a much bigger stage than the original than it looks; with high paths and it goes to some caverns. Not even Generations did that.

So yeah, this doesn't change anything for me. Not disappointed or excited, I was expecting this.

This is the first attempt of StealthTax and PagodaWest making a Classic Sonic game, you can't expect them to go all out on the first try.

2 minutes ago, Soni said:

This is the first attempt of StealthTax and PagodaWest making a Classic Sonic game, you can't expect them to go all out on the first try.

No, that's EXACTLY what I would have expected them to do. Given how much these guys have worked on remakes, have been hyped up by the fanbase as the second coming of the Genesis, I would've expected that their first original take on the series would've been more.... You know... original. But instead we're only getting more nostalgic pandering, and it only adds to the feeling of this being a glorified fangame than being an all new Sonic game.

Especially with Mania being hyped as it is with a $20 price tag retail price tag and with a ridiculous and overblown preorder special edition going for $70, I would've expected more. Why would I get what invokes the feeling of being a romhack, when I could get something that feels more like I'm getting an original Sonic game like, I don't know, Spark the Electric Jester?

I remain unimpressed with Christian Whitehead. He's just far too technical, and not enough of an artist in my opinion. I can tell he's genuinely invested in what he's making, but I'm a romanticist when it comes to Sonic. I want more people like Lake Feperd making Sonic games, because people like him GET the romantic side of Sonic.

Man you must really want Sonic and Amy to kiss /s

I don't mind more old levels than new levels. If they can bring in old levels that I didn't like and make them better, that'd be awesome. Or improve on stages I did like and make those even better, like Chemical Plant or Marble Gardens or whatever that was called.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

They probably would have tried to go all out if Sega had let them. I believe Stealth implied over on the Retro forums that the whole "returning stages" thing is something Sega wanted them to do.

I mean, it's not like a Mania sequel is guaranteed at this point, so I don't see any reason why a bunch of Sonic fans would decide to play it safe when they finally get a chance to develop an official Sonic game and purposefully hold onto all of their really creative ideas until production on the sequel starts.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I remain unimpressed with Christian Whitehead. He's just far too technical, and not enough of an artist in my opinion.

I suppose it's a good thing that he's more involved with the technical side of Mania then? I'm not sure why you're singling him out when the game is being developed alongside other people as well.