Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Eh, Sonic '17 isn't really for me. They can do what they want with it. I'll probably think it sucks, but at least I'll have Mania. At least SEGA is actually marketing both parts of the fandom.

I can't really complain. The whole apocalypse and edginess makes me cringe, but it's not really aimed at me. So yeah, it's not really a big deal, I have Mania.

2 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

I could easily take a picture of Crisis City from Sonic Generations or Asteroid Coaster from Sonic Colors out of context

I mean, that's the thing, you are taking them out of their context. A trailer isn't supposed to need outside context, it is supposed to set its own tone.

• Thumbs Up 9

I mean it is not unreasonable to think the game itself may be dark when the trailer takes it self serious and the burning city suggest that it's story is going to be serious. I'm someone who likes that stuff but I see why people think this way and it is not unreasonable. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The main reason I'm cautious with the serious factor is how majorly the series has previously fucked it up. I know people have already said this, but the first thing I thought when I saw the trailer was Crisis City and all the embarrassment and cringe of Sonic 06.

It's not great, especially when Mania's trailer was fucking perfect.

And let's not forget '17's tagline 'Join the Resistance' (dear God).

But yeah, Mania is hype xD

Well, yeah, it does convey that the stakes are going to be more serious, but edgy? I'm not seeing it. Seriousness is not edginess-- there is a difference. More specifically, a more serious game is one that uses higher stakes and more drama-- an edgy game tries to push the limits of what most stories in its medium try to tell or what most people consider acceptable for a drama, comedy, etc.

The points about Asteroid Coaster and Crisis City were pointing out that we don't know what the other levels are going to be like, or how the game is going to execute its plot, since what you two are doing is basically claiming to know exactly what a game is going to be like based on one level and some speculation. 

I think we should move this discussion to Sonic 2017's topic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sure we won't get other Sonic 06 or... or...

Shadow The Hedgehog. I hate that game soooo much.

The tone is darker, Eggman (?) is killing hundreds of people and Sonic is serious about this whole thing. But to thing how many animals got killed when Eggman burned Angel Island! But is not obvious...

Is not in your face like Maria's death in Shadow The Hedgehog opposed to SA2.

If Eggman is committing genocide against the animals and Sonic has to be an animal resistant fighter, I think I will die of cringe. I seriously hope that doesn't happen xD

Uh, why are we only talking about Project 2017 right now? There's already a thread for it, ya know?

We literally know nothing about Sonic 2017, but we do know a good amount of stuff about Sonic Mania.

How about we get back to Sonic Mania. Sonic Mania will probably have some story. If Knuckles is going to fight Sonic again, I wonder what his motive will be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Already has, if you look at Archie, SatAM, and what was heavily implied in Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and basically any other Sonic media that featured mass roboticization/enslavement as a plot point.

Now that I think of it, since Mania is based off the Classic games and features badniks, it probably also has that "genocide the animals" plot point too. Its a weak point to complain about considering its present in the stuff you like too.

But I wouldn't consider it edgy because while the creators treat it with the seriousness it deserves, they don't overemphasize it or act like its the most unorthodox plot point ever written in the history of the world.

If Knuckles is going to fight Sonic again, I wonder what his motive will be. 

I don't know, does Knuckles even have a motivation to fight Sonic anymore? They seem to be pretty close friends, plus Knuckles hasn't fallen for Eggman's tricks anytime recent.

I fail to see how Project 2017 can so far be seen as dark as the tail end of the Adventure Era when the main threat is this

ZXZf4xz.png

rather than something like this

715853.jpg

Spoiler

The Underminer from The Incredibles did mean serious business though

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm re-railing this back to Mania :lol:

What levels are you most excited to see come back? I'm hoping for some of the cut levels, maybe something like Wood Zone or Dust Hill.

Taxman likes cut content and I'm sure he would nail it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually hoping for some Sonic Advance levels. That game was pretty fun, and it would be pretty cool to see levels like Music Plant redone. Sonic Advance didn't get any content in Sonic Generations either, so I'm hoping it'll get some coverage someday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Safka said:

I'm re-railing this back to Mania :lol:

What levels are you most excited to see come back? I'm hoping for some of the cut levels, maybe something like Wood Zone or Dust Hill.

Taxman likes cut content and I'm sure he would nail it.

I would like to see Collision Chaos from CD to come back. Probably my favorite stage in that game.

Hill Top Zone and Ice Cap would be nice, too.

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks Safka :D

Desert Dazzle has 99% of being in the game, and I also think we are going to get Hidden Palace or Genocide City or whatever is the name.

Geez, Sonic 2 had a LOT of cut content!

We are probably getting 2 stages for each game.

6 minutes ago, Lucid Dream said:

We literally know nothing about Sonic 2017, but we do know a good amount of stuff about Sonic Mania.

How about we get back to Sonic Mania. Sonic Mania will probably have some story. If Knuckles is going to fight Sonic again, I wonder what his motive will be. 

Eggman tricked him again saying that Sonic want to steal the new item of the game.

Meh, not the last time, SA1, SAdv2...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see Carnival Night Zone come back, that and Scrap Brain as those have nice level designs. 

1 minute ago, Mad Convoy said:

Well, yeah, it does convey that the stakes are going to be more serious, but edgy? I'm not seeing it. Seriousness is not edginess-- there is a difference. More specifically, a more serious game is one that uses higher stakes and more drama-- an edgy game tries to push the limits of what most stories in its medium try to tell or what most people consider acceptable for a drama.

It doesn't make much sense to define "edgy" just in relation to the medium because the medium doesn't say anything about the content. Mario and Resident Evil use the same medium but I doubt you'd argue that it wouldn't be cringeworthily edgy to treat Mario like it's RE.

1 minute ago, Mad Convoy said:

The points about Asteroid Coaster and Crisis City were pointing out that we don't know what the other levels are going to be like, or how the game is going to execute its plot, since what you two are doing is basically claiming to know exactly what a game is going to be like based on one level and some speculation. 

No one's claiming to know everything about the game. We're just interpreting the information we've been given and assuming it's accurate to what the game is trying to achieve, because why would they make a trailer that doesn't represent the game?

2 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Already has, if you look at Archie, SatAM, and what was heavily implied in Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and basically any other Sonic media that featured mass roboticization as a plot point.

Now that I think of it, since Mania is based off the Classic games and features badniks, it probably also has that "genocide the animals" plot point too. Its a weak point to complain about considering its present in the stuff you like too.

Genocide was not a plot point in the genesis games. It was treated as kidnapping at best.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dessert Dazzle would be awesome. Maybe Dust Hill could play a part in it too.

It's great to meet you guys, you are all reasonably new too :) . I'm going to follow you all and we can be friends :wub: .

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Eggman tricked him again saying that Sonic want to steal the new item of the game.

That's a little old though. Not to mention Knuckles has been shown to not be so easily tricked anymore... 

I'm hoping Knuckles won't be stupid anymore. I'm a little tired of that now. 

Just now, Miki said:

I'd like to see Carnival Night Zone come back, that and Scrap Brain as those have nice level designs. 

I think Carnival Night zone will be represented by Studiopolis... Act 2 maybe?

And Scrap Brain as one of the last levels would be awesome! Wait... The order of the levels will be by game?

It's a bit silly for Knuckles to be tricked again, but to be fair that plot point hasn't been used in a long time. It would be fun too to have Knuckles as a rival once again.

Knuckles is epic. I'm so happy he's back in his classic form!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Lucid Dream said:

That's a little old though. Not to mention Knuckles has been shown to not be so easily tricked anymore... 

I'm hoping Knuckles won't be stupid anymore. I'm a little tired of that now. 

Me too, I love Knuckles, but I rather have him being a brute dork than just being stupid. (Same for Boom Knux)

Yeah, it would be cool to get see some cut content in Sonic Mania. 

9 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

I'm pretty sure the manual of Sonic Riders Zero Gravity states that Knuckles no longer trusts Eggman and is now skeptical of everything he claims. Though unfortunately for Knux, Eggman was actually right in that game.

Actually, that could be interesting. Knuckles misinterprets Sonic's actions as being malicious, and Eggman makes fun of his stupidity for pursuing Sonic. Knux brushes him off, thinking that Eggman is trying to trick him into not intervening with Sonic's evil scheme. But Eggman actually has a point for once-- so Knux's fight with Sonic ends in failure and embarrassment. Not sure how that could be conveyed in a silent game like Mania, but I'm sure its possible.

4 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Yeah, it would be cool to get see some cut content in Sonic Mania. 

I'm pretty sure the manual of Sonic Riders Zero Gravity states that Knuckles no longer trusts Eggman and is now skeptical of everything he claims. Though unfortunately for Knux, Eggman was actually right in that game.

Actually, that could be interesting. Knuckles misinterprets Sonic's actions as being malicious, and Eggman makes fun of his stupidity for pursuing Sonic. Knux brushes him off, thinking that Eggman is trying to trick him into not intervening with Sonic's evil scheme. But Eggman actually has a point for once-- so Knux's fight with Sonic ends in failure and embarrassment. Not sure how that could be conveyed in a silent game like Mania, but I'm sure its possible.

Yeah, but Sonic Mania is way before ZG nope?

Sonic Megadrive nailed that Knuckles got tricked again plot xD