Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Special_Stage_(Sonic_Rush_Adventure).png

As far as Special Stages go, I hope we can get something similar to the ones from Sonic Rush Adventure, where you have to race another character to the Emeralds.

Maybe Metal Sonic could be our opponent this time?

• Thumbs Up 8

I wonder if Triple Trouble or Sonic Chaos will ever get any appearances in Sonic Mania.

It would be really cool if Fang was reintroduced. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if we are going to get Saturn 3D Special Stages like Sonic 3D Blast? I would be down for that! :D

7 minutes ago, Lucid Dream said:

I woner if Triple Trouble or Sonic Chaos will ever get any appearances in Sonic Mania.

That would turn Mania in a instant 10 /10

• Thumbs Up 6

I've come to realize I hate the word "edgy" now.

Back on topic, I guess Metal Sonic could be in Mania, considering we're gonna see a zone from CD. Then again, they brought him back in Sonic 4 already. But what about... MECHA? Or even Silver Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Yeah, but Sonic Mania is way before ZG nope?

I don't actually know where Mania takes place chronologically, but that is possible. Yet again, Mania is likely to take place after Sonic 3 so Knuckles could have still taken a lesson from the last time, even if it didn't stick for long.

-----

Yessss, please Fang. If nothing else, he has one of my favorite character designs in the series.

I liked the ones from Sonic Rush. Yes, I know, the gosh darn halfpipe, but I never really minded that. I feel like Rush did a good job of balancing difficulty and fairness in terms of special stages. It was easy to pick up but difficult to master-- and the later stages were downright brutal, but in a good way since they were still fun and encourage mastery of the special stage's mechanics while the earlier stages gave players a good opportunity to learn good strategies and tricks that would help them with the later stages. That's what I think special stages should strive for in Sonic. CD's special stages are really unwieldy, so I probably wouldn't want to see a return to that. Sonic Colors ditched the minigame-within-a-level concept entirely in exchange for unlocking levels with red coins that, when all were completed, would unlock the ability to use Super Sonic-- which I also liked a lot, though I think the story context could be improved since Eggman giving out Chaos Emeralds as a reward for beating his games is a really, really uncharacteristically stupid decision on his part. And we need a better way to unlock the levels than having to find stuff. But I think that format could allow TaxStealth to highlight more levels from Sonic's history that might not be large enough to sustain a whole act of the game but would still be worth mentioning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having Silver Sonic or Mecha Sonic come back in a remix boss fight, or in a remixed level wouldn't cause issues lore wise either. Sonic Adventure had both Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic in some form of stasis tubes along with Metal Sonic in Eggman's base in Mystic Ruin, so Eggman obviously retrieved their parts or built new models at some point between Sonic 2/3K and Sonic Adventure.

Nack/Fang is probably one of the most uniquely designed and underused characters from the classic era. I would love to see him make a come back, and a true retro style classic title is one of the best excuses to bring him back, outside of missed opportunities in the modern line like Generations. Having an actual anthro character who is bad and isn't just "misunderstood" or ends up joining the heroes like Shadow/Jet/Silver etc is such an untapped topic in this series too in a world presumably full of anthro animals, some of them are bound to be bad like the evil doctor.

I wouldn't ever want Eggman replaced as the main big bad (I personally dislike the "Monster of the Week" thing the Adventure series popularized") and Metal Sonic is the perfect rival (the whole evil scientist whose specialty is building robots would obviously try to build a replica robot, nature vs machine theme of the series etc), but having a true bad anthro that can't be redeemed who is constantly getting in the heroes way, who can't just be destroyed like the machines Eggman builds, would be interesting I feel. Nack/Fang really works on this level due to being a bounty/treasure hunter, Eggman could hire him, or he could personally be after whatever the heroes are also after, it almost writes itself. That and he would have beef with Sonic already due to their past conflict in Triple Trouble and Fighters over the Chaos Emeralds.

It's not a Sonic Team game technically, so the presumed use of only Sonic Team linked characters shouldnt be an issue, and Sega still has the character rights or else he wouldn't be in the Archie comics, and he was in a couple classic era games and is part of the series history, so yeah, bring him back damnit!! :P

• Thumbs Up 7

On 9/30/2016 at 6:24 AM, FFWF said:

To be honest, I'm hoping that not all the Mania zones will be revealed before release, and that might line up with there being no new footage to come for a while.  It's nice to have a few surprises.

Same. I want to see a couple more stages, to have a better idea of what they mean by Green Hill being the most "tame" zone, and a more clear idea of how the game's structure will work, (we don't know how many acts each stage will have, do we?), but that's it, really. Save as many of the new zones as possible, please.

I don't think they will reuse characters like Nack since they have completely fallen out of the public eye. I guess it's possible though.

Let's just hope they don't introduce any of the particularly rubbish characters from the 3D titles, such as Shadow and Silver.

Few people seem to know that the Sonic robots in Sonic 2 and Sonic & Knuckles are both Mecha Sonic: not different robots, but the same one evolved -I've always thought it was apparent, just by looking at his abilities-.

So, I think it would be cool if Mecha Sonic returned for Mania with another update.

• Thumbs Up 1

Golly gee freakin' willickers y'all, the passive-aggressive jabs at the 3D games sure aren't bloody getting old, eh wat.

Tossing Mecha/Silver Sonic (either incarnation) as a nod is something I'm certainly for, though I'm anticipating the more prominent Metal Sonic to feature. If anything, I'd guess it's quite likely that a confrontation against Metal Sonic would follow the "Mecha Sonic" boss fight formula instead of (if not in addition to) a Sonic CD-esque race. I'd like to see both return, though. Actually, if they made a miniature boss rush against the two Mecha Sonic incarnations with a Metal Sonic race/fight to top it off, Bob's your uncle you have a pretty great thread of service to Metal Sonic fans of all sorts. 

• Thumbs Up 9

I'd be happy for the Metal Sonic encounters to return because they were in the real Classic titles. I wouldn't want to see someone like Shadow who came from the 3D titles because he doesn't belong in a real 2D Sonic game like Mania.

Apparently the name "Silver Sonic" was used in he European manuals.

I would prefer Mecha to return purely because he hasn't featured in other games since S&K (unlike Metal) apart from his cameo in Adventure.

I like both of their respective designs in S&K & Sonic CD. I can understand why some fans get confused between the two, because they do look similar :P

Image result for mecha sonic metal sonicImage result for Sonic cd metal sonic

If Mecha was running in Mania and you could see his previous designs running behind him (like how you see three Sonic's behind Sonic when he's running really fast), now that would be awesome. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I never thought of fighting the other versions of Metal Sonic, that would be really cool.

I agree with Celestia that it would be really awesome to fight a new Mania Metal Sonic. Great idea Celestia! :)

12 hours ago, Lucid Dream said:

I wonder if Triple Trouble or Sonic Chaos will ever get any appearances in Sonic Mania.

They've confirmed that they're taking from Sonic 1-3&K and CD only, so none of the obscure titles will be brought in. 

And there's definitely no Fang. Probably not Mecha Sonic either since Metal Sonic has pretty much taken over that role entirely. 

Ok, understood. I won't jab 3D Sonic in this thread since it's a Mania thread and it might seem a bit uncalled for.

Can I still criticise the 3D titles in the '17 thread?

Because the games aren't very good lol. It's no different to me than taking jabs at Sonic 4. No one would get upset if I jabbed at Sonic 4 in the Mania thread.

9 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Ok, understood. I won't jab 3D Sonic in this thread since it's a Mania thread and it might seem a bit uncalled for.

Can I still criticise the 3D titles in the '17 thread?

So long as you actually justify yourself properly the instead of going "ew Shadow is bad, Sonic shouldn't ever speak, etcetera" without justifying yourself. 

This is a board where we appreciate fair arguments and debates, not pointless hating and personal attacking. 

And if you want to post in the Project 2017 thread, please remember to actually talk about project 2017. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I have talked about the game. I've said that I want Metal Sonic to return and that it's unlikely Nack and his co will return.

Let's just say it as it is, a massive sensitivity issue about the 3D title because, for some reason I'll never understand, some fans actually like the 3D titles. If I mocked Sonic 4, no one would have an issue. If I said 'I want Metal Sonic to appear, but not like his rubbish boss fights in Sonic 4', no one would bat an eyelid. I find it so silly because Sonic 4 and the 3D titles are equally rubbish in my opinion.

But anyway, Celestia has advised me to stop it, so I'll stop talking about the 3D titles in this thread.

I think the Metal Sonic idea is really good, I think it's almost certain he will appear in Mania.

I think it would be cool to see the various Metal Sonic in containers in a Eggman base Zone. Kind of like Metal and Mecha Sonic is Adventure. That was one cool thing about Adventure!