Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Already has, if you look at Archie, SatAM, and what was heavily implied in Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and basically any other Sonic media that featured mass roboticization/enslavement as a plot point.

Now that I think of it, since Mania is based off the Classic games and features badniks, it probably also has that "genocide the animals" plot point too. Its a weak point to complain about considering its present in the stuff you like too.

But I wouldn't consider it edgy because while the creators treat it with the seriousness it deserves, they don't overemphasize it or act like its the most unorthodox plot point ever written in the history of the world.

If Knuckles is going to fight Sonic again, I wonder what his motive will be. 

I don't know, does Knuckles even have a motivation to fight Sonic anymore? They seem to be pretty close friends, plus Knuckles hasn't fallen for Eggman's tricks anytime recent.

I'm re-railing this back to Mania :lol:

What levels are you most excited to see come back? I'm hoping for some of the cut levels, maybe something like Wood Zone or Dust Hill.

Taxman likes cut content and I'm sure he would nail it.

I'm actually hoping for some Sonic Advance levels. That game was pretty fun, and it would be pretty cool to see levels like Music Plant redone. Sonic Advance didn't get any content in Sonic Generations either, so I'm hoping it'll get some coverage someday. 

1 minute ago, Safka said:

I'm re-railing this back to Mania :lol:

What levels are you most excited to see come back? I'm hoping for some of the cut levels, maybe something like Wood Zone or Dust Hill.

Taxman likes cut content and I'm sure he would nail it.

I would like to see Collision Chaos from CD to come back. Probably my favorite stage in that game.

Hill Top Zone and Ice Cap would be nice, too.

Thanks Safka :D

Desert Dazzle has 99% of being in the game, and I also think we are going to get Hidden Palace or Genocide City or whatever is the name.

Geez, Sonic 2 had a LOT of cut content!

We are probably getting 2 stages for each game.

6 minutes ago, Lucid Dream said:

We literally know nothing about Sonic 2017, but we do know a good amount of stuff about Sonic Mania.

How about we get back to Sonic Mania. Sonic Mania will probably have some story. If Knuckles is going to fight Sonic again, I wonder what his motive will be. 

Eggman tricked him again saying that Sonic want to steal the new item of the game.

Meh, not the last time, SA1, SAdv2...

1 minute ago, Mad Convoy said:

Well, yeah, it does convey that the stakes are going to be more serious, but edgy? I'm not seeing it. Seriousness is not edginess-- there is a difference. More specifically, a more serious game is one that uses higher stakes and more drama-- an edgy game tries to push the limits of what most stories in its medium try to tell or what most people consider acceptable for a drama.

It doesn't make much sense to define "edgy" just in relation to the medium because the medium doesn't say anything about the content. Mario and Resident Evil use the same medium but I doubt you'd argue that it wouldn't be cringeworthily edgy to treat Mario like it's RE.

1 minute ago, Mad Convoy said:

The points about Asteroid Coaster and Crisis City were pointing out that we don't know what the other levels are going to be like, or how the game is going to execute its plot, since what you two are doing is basically claiming to know exactly what a game is going to be like based on one level and some speculation. 

No one's claiming to know everything about the game. We're just interpreting the information we've been given and assuming it's accurate to what the game is trying to achieve, because why would they make a trailer that doesn't represent the game?

2 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Already has, if you look at Archie, SatAM, and what was heavily implied in Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and basically any other Sonic media that featured mass roboticization as a plot point.

Now that I think of it, since Mania is based off the Classic games and features badniks, it probably also has that "genocide the animals" plot point too. Its a weak point to complain about considering its present in the stuff you like too.

Genocide was not a plot point in the genesis games. It was treated as kidnapping at best.

2 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Eggman tricked him again saying that Sonic want to steal the new item of the game.

That's a little old though. Not to mention Knuckles has been shown to not be so easily tricked anymore... 

I'm hoping Knuckles won't be stupid anymore. I'm a little tired of that now. 

Just now, Miki said:

I'd like to see Carnival Night Zone come back, that and Scrap Brain as those have nice level designs. 

I think Carnival Night zone will be represented by Studiopolis... Act 2 maybe?

And Scrap Brain as one of the last levels would be awesome! Wait... The order of the levels will be by game?

It's a bit silly for Knuckles to be tricked again, but to be fair that plot point hasn't been used in a long time. It would be fun too to have Knuckles as a rival once again.

Knuckles is epic. I'm so happy he's back in his classic form!

Just now, Lucid Dream said:

That's a little old though. Not to mention Knuckles has been shown to not be so easily tricked anymore... 

I'm hoping Knuckles won't be stupid anymore. I'm a little tired of that now. 

Me too, I love Knuckles, but I rather have him being a brute dork than just being stupid. (Same for Boom Knux)

Yeah, it would be cool to get see some cut content in Sonic Mania. 

9 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

I'm pretty sure the manual of Sonic Riders Zero Gravity states that Knuckles no longer trusts Eggman and is now skeptical of everything he claims. Though unfortunately for Knux, Eggman was actually right in that game.

Actually, that could be interesting. Knuckles misinterprets Sonic's actions as being malicious, and Eggman makes fun of his stupidity for pursuing Sonic. Knux brushes him off, thinking that Eggman is trying to trick him into not intervening with Sonic's evil scheme. But Eggman actually has a point for once-- so Knux's fight with Sonic ends in failure and embarrassment. Not sure how that could be conveyed in a silent game like Mania, but I'm sure its possible.

4 minutes ago, Mad Convoy said:

Yeah, it would be cool to get see some cut content in Sonic Mania. 

I'm pretty sure the manual of Sonic Riders Zero Gravity states that Knuckles no longer trusts Eggman and is now skeptical of everything he claims. Though unfortunately for Knux, Eggman was actually right in that game.

Actually, that could be interesting. Knuckles misinterprets Sonic's actions as being malicious, and Eggman makes fun of his stupidity for pursuing Sonic. Knux brushes him off, thinking that Eggman is trying to trick him into not intervening with Sonic's evil scheme. But Eggman actually has a point for once-- so Knux's fight with Sonic ends in failure and embarrassment. Not sure how that could be conveyed in a silent game like Mania, but I'm sure its possible.

Yeah, but Sonic Mania is way before ZG nope?

Sonic Megadrive nailed that Knuckles got tricked again plot xD

I wonder if we are going to get Saturn 3D Special Stages like Sonic 3D Blast? I would be down for that! :D

7 minutes ago, Lucid Dream said:

I woner if Triple Trouble or Sonic Chaos will ever get any appearances in Sonic Mania.

It would be really cool if Fang was reintroduced. 

That would turn Mania in a instant 10 /10

I've come to realize I hate the word "edgy" now.

Back on topic, I guess Metal Sonic could be in Mania, considering we're gonna see a zone from CD. Then again, they brought him back in Sonic 4 already. But what about... MECHA? Or even Silver Sonic?

39 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Yeah, but Sonic Mania is way before ZG nope?

I don't actually know where Mania takes place chronologically, but that is possible. Yet again, Mania is likely to take place after Sonic 3 so Knuckles could have still taken a lesson from the last time, even if it didn't stick for long.

-----

Yessss, please Fang. If nothing else, he has one of my favorite character designs in the series.

I liked the ones from Sonic Rush. Yes, I know, the gosh darn halfpipe, but I never really minded that. I feel like Rush did a good job of balancing difficulty and fairness in terms of special stages. It was easy to pick up but difficult to master-- and the later stages were downright brutal, but in a good way since they were still fun and encourage mastery of the special stage's mechanics while the earlier stages gave players a good opportunity to learn good strategies and tricks that would help them with the later stages. That's what I think special stages should strive for in Sonic. CD's special stages are really unwieldy, so I probably wouldn't want to see a return to that. Sonic Colors ditched the minigame-within-a-level concept entirely in exchange for unlocking levels with red coins that, when all were completed, would unlock the ability to use Super Sonic-- which I also liked a lot, though I think the story context could be improved since Eggman giving out Chaos Emeralds as a reward for beating his games is a really, really uncharacteristically stupid decision on his part. And we need a better way to unlock the levels than having to find stuff. But I think that format could allow TaxStealth to highlight more levels from Sonic's history that might not be large enough to sustain a whole act of the game but would still be worth mentioning.

Having Silver Sonic or Mecha Sonic come back in a remix boss fight, or in a remixed level wouldn't cause issues lore wise either. Sonic Adventure had both Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic in some form of stasis tubes along with Metal Sonic in Eggman's base in Mystic Ruin, so Eggman obviously retrieved their parts or built new models at some point between Sonic 2/3K and Sonic Adventure.

Nack/Fang is probably one of the most uniquely designed and underused characters from the classic era. I would love to see him make a come back, and a true retro style classic title is one of the best excuses to bring him back, outside of missed opportunities in the modern line like Generations. Having an actual anthro character who is bad and isn't just "misunderstood" or ends up joining the heroes like Shadow/Jet/Silver etc is such an untapped topic in this series too in a world presumably full of anthro animals, some of them are bound to be bad like the evil doctor.

I wouldn't ever want Eggman replaced as the main big bad (I personally dislike the "Monster of the Week" thing the Adventure series popularized") and Metal Sonic is the perfect rival (the whole evil scientist whose specialty is building robots would obviously try to build a replica robot, nature vs machine theme of the series etc), but having a true bad anthro that can't be redeemed who is constantly getting in the heroes way, who can't just be destroyed like the machines Eggman builds, would be interesting I feel. Nack/Fang really works on this level due to being a bounty/treasure hunter, Eggman could hire him, or he could personally be after whatever the heroes are also after, it almost writes itself. That and he would have beef with Sonic already due to their past conflict in Triple Trouble and Fighters over the Chaos Emeralds.

It's not a Sonic Team game technically, so the presumed use of only Sonic Team linked characters shouldnt be an issue, and Sega still has the character rights or else he wouldn't be in the Archie comics, and he was in a couple classic era games and is part of the series history, so yeah, bring him back damnit!! :P

On 9/30/2016 at 6:24 AM, FFWF said:

To be honest, I'm hoping that not all the Mania zones will be revealed before release, and that might line up with there being no new footage to come for a while.  It's nice to have a few surprises.

Same. I want to see a couple more stages, to have a better idea of what they mean by Green Hill being the most "tame" zone, and a more clear idea of how the game's structure will work, (we don't know how many acts each stage will have, do we?), but that's it, really. Save as many of the new zones as possible, please.

I don't think they will reuse characters like Nack since they have completely fallen out of the public eye. I guess it's possible though.

Let's just hope they don't introduce any of the particularly rubbish characters from the 3D titles, such as Shadow and Silver.

Few people seem to know that the Sonic robots in Sonic 2 and Sonic & Knuckles are both Mecha Sonic: not different robots, but the same one evolved -I've always thought it was apparent, just by looking at his abilities-.

So, I think it would be cool if Mecha Sonic returned for Mania with another update.

Golly gee freakin' willickers y'all, the passive-aggressive jabs at the 3D games sure aren't bloody getting old, eh wat.

Tossing Mecha/Silver Sonic (either incarnation) as a nod is something I'm certainly for, though I'm anticipating the more prominent Metal Sonic to feature. If anything, I'd guess it's quite likely that a confrontation against Metal Sonic would follow the "Mecha Sonic" boss fight formula instead of (if not in addition to) a Sonic CD-esque race. I'd like to see both return, though. Actually, if they made a miniature boss rush against the two Mecha Sonic incarnations with a Metal Sonic race/fight to top it off, Bob's your uncle you have a pretty great thread of service to Metal Sonic fans of all sorts.