Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

If a level from Sonic CD is remixed, will it still have the Past and Future Signposts/time travel mechanic?

I'm guessing not since it'd be a lot to implement for just that one (or maybe two) level(s). But I hope I'm wrong because I'd love that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good ideas being thrown around in here. I just wonder, are all four games getting equal zone representation? Will one game (Like Sonic 2, for example) get more stages than Sonic 1 or CD? I'm very curious to see if that'll be the case or not.

I was never a huge fan of the way they executed time travel in CD. If it did reappear, I hope they make it more streamlined, like pressing a button or something.

That said, I don't think time posts will be in Mania.

There's nothing really to suggest whether or not the team choose to implement Time Posts. For all we know some special rings may only be accessible in the Past/Future.

Actually think, if pulled off better than in CD, that it'd be cool if Sonic went to the Past and it was the same geographic background as in the original game to show the differences between the two versions. 

The only thing which makes me doubt this would be that I think it'd break the flow of the overall game if only one zone had this mechanic. So I kinda contradicted my first  sentence lol?

I think if there is a CD level, it will get time travel as it's such an integral part of that game and it's setting. Like how Planet Wisp had Wisps in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

So would a million other things, though, and I don't see any need or reason to pull from them specifically.

Gens 3DS already did it. Honestly I've seen enough references to the whale chase, it wasn't even that interesting in the first place.

S3&K's Death Egg did it first.

Look, I'm not trying to start an argument about who did what first, what I'm trying to do is discuss how SEGA could pay homage to the only good 3D Sonic games they've ever made.

Making a 3D game that doesn't suck would be a better way than sticking Adventure-era fanservice in an otherwise classic-based game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Diogenes said:

Making a 3D game that doesn't suck would be a better way than sticking Adventure-era fanservice in an otherwise classic-based game.

If you know the secret to making a good 3D Sonic game then go tell SEGA, because they can't figure it out

Yeah, I agree with Diogenes. If Sonic '17 is a good 3D game, that will be the true service to the fans.

Here's my take. People rightfully complained about Classic Sonic in Sonic '17. Classic Sonic doesn't need to be there, he's got Mania. That's what us Classic fans have always wanted.

In the same way, we don't really need Adventure in Mania. Let's keep Mania pure and only Classic. We can essentially keep the franchise running with a dedicated 2D and 3D series now.

Dreamcast era levels being redone in a Sonic CDish surreal style would be really interesting to me to be honest, though at that point I guess you might as well be making new levels since that goes way beyond reusing assets, and I know which I would rather have if it came down to that. 

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Yeah, I agree with Diogenes. If Sonic '17 is a good 3D game, that will be the true service to the fans.

Here's my take. People rightfully complained about Classic Sonic in Sonic '17. Classic Sonic doesn't need to be there, he's got Mania. That's what us Classic fans have always wanted.

In the same way, we don't really need Adventure in Mania. Let's keep Mania pure and only Classic. We can essentially keep the franchise running with a dedicated 2D and 3D series now.

Let's be honest here, an sonic fan like you, and diogenes. will never like an 3D Sonic game because you force ridiculous standards onto yourselves and at the same time, lie to yourself otherwise. 

People have been telling me that for years and it hasn't become any less bullshit.

I'm not asking for anything unreasonable. I just want games that scratch the same itch as the games that got me into the series, instead of games that have abandoned what I liked about the series.

• Thumbs Up 7

Discard this dumb post of mine, because like someone who posts on 4chan and scanlover. i suck cocks.

Edited by Fr0zenanus
my original post was dumb.

I think Diogenes is pretty cool.

As for me not liking the 3D games, it's not that I have ridiculous standards, it's that Sonic standards have fallen since the move to 3D. The Adventure titles were ok when they came out in the late 90s and early 2000s, but time has moved on now. If you compare Modern Sonic to any of his competitors, such as Mario, Kirby, Rayman, Donkey Kong and the like, there's no comparison. I love Sonic and expect the best for Sonic, not the average. That's why I'm so hyped for Mania, it looks awesome again. Sonic is setting the bar.

It doesn't look that way for '17, but who knows, maybe it will be surprisingly good when we see gameplay. Going off the initial teaser, I'm just cautious about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

You know genes, you happen to be really thick-skinned and unsympathetic. and that's why people don't like you at all. i'm surprised you don't have an anything to an equivalent of an encyclopedia dramatica page. 

i really can't see why any of the staff on ssmb tolerated you for this long, since like 2004?2007-2010 understandable because the antagonistic half of the fanbase was still shutting people off from anyone criticising them for their arrogance. in this day and age in 2016. that half doesn't have power anymore. 

Ahahaha, overreaction much? You can't say "nobody likes you" and expect it to be true, merely because you said it. Speak for yourself. 

Anyway, on-topic I wouldn't mind some nods to the Adventure-era. Nothing overt, but something like say, a poster in Studiopolis that nods towards the SA-era would be nifty. 

• Thumbs Up 3

40 minutes ago, Safka said:

Yeah, if CD is represented I think there will be some form of time travel. It could even be a act transition time travel.

Perhaps Tax/Stealth could do with the Retro Engine what they couldn't accomplish back in the 90's with Sonic CD. Having the world change around Sonic when he hits top speed and instantly warping rather than having the "loading screen" they had to implement in the original due to limitations in hardware and code at the time. I think Taxman mentioned having this freeflow time system being used in the Final Fever boss battle he had cooked up, so perhaps it's on the cards for the remixed Sonic CD stages.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Anyway, on-topic I wouldn't mind some nods to the Adventure-era. Nothing overt, but something like say, a poster in Studiopolis that nods towards the SA-era would be nifty. 

A nod toward Chao in Space would be neat. It's a film studio after all.

• Thumbs Up 8

Guys, guys, Mania is like the second coming of the Hedgehog Christ xD

Let's not devolve into personal attacks, we should be rejoicing. As Silver would say

IT'S NO USE

• Thumbs Up 4

Regardless of whether CD-style time travel has a delay or not, I still don't think it's a good fit for Sonic, because you can't know where you're going to end up until you get there, and that can massively ruin the flow that is so important to the series.

If they intend to use some kind of time travel gimmick for a CD level, I could only see it working well under more controlled circumstances. Like you have to go around a special loop to time travel, so you can only do so where the developers intend you to and they can design it so you have a second or two to reorient yourself.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm in a rush. Just know that staff will be reviewing the latest exchange that's happened here in handling out punishments appropriately. Get back on topic discussing Mania. The 3D games and what we want have little to do with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

A nod toward Chao in Space would be neat. It's a film studio after all.

It'd be funny to see a sort of nod to Chao in Space, aye. Chao in Space: Origins or something, a prequel gag since this is a Classic game and all. 

• Thumbs Up 3