Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

What Tenko said. Sega and multiple other third parties are already confirmed to be working on games for the system. Project Sonic 2017 IS coming to NX.

Also, something I noticed: Sega was doing the reshading of the old art from day one. Guessing they're doing it in order to better differentiate Classic Sonic from Modern Sonic.

G3331front.jpg

_20161007_142932.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Zippo said:

Also, something I noticed: Sega was doing the reshading of the old art from day one. Guessing they're doing it in order to better differentiate Classic Sonic from Modern Sonic.

I believe Sega has done this to make Classic Sonic look like how he appeared in Generations, and how he appeared the hundreds of merchandise of Classic Sonic these days. The light blue Classic Sonic actually came from Sonic 1, though.

Been debating with myself about posting this, but here goes I guess:

The original Sonic games levels had this thing about them where, in spite of how styalized they were, you could still tell roughly how high within them you were based on the level itself. Take Green Hill Zone, at the bottom you frequently have large chunks of the background blocked by what's holding up the higher parts of the level, and as you go up that becomes less and less until you're at the top. 

I'm not really seeing that with Sonic Mania, it just kind of all looks the same. It's not a crippling problem, but it comes off a bit rom hacky to me. 

The level art is much more like Sonic CD, than the original trio. The background is much more complex, as Dio describe it. We see skyscrapers on the middle, stars and clouds on the top, and a subway on the bottom. The Genesis levels only had middle and bottom for the most zones. Not saying their art is bad, holyshit of course not, BUT, Sonic CD is stronger in that department. Guess those Sega CD's extra pixels actually made a difference ?

Yeah Sonic Mania still looks great to me. It's continuing the legendary art techniques of the glorious Classic titles.

Hopefully it can keep it up for the rest of the game!

I think they have something great going with Sonic Mania. Aside from me being a total Classic Sonic fanboy who is totally biased, it could be a sign of things to come, maybe a more Mega Man-esque structure of game releases? We have what, Classic, X, Zero, etc....Sonic could use something like that since, let's face it, Sonic never has stuck around in one place for very long. He's constantly changing styles. Classic, Dreamcast, Boost, the things that all the handheld games had going on...you get the idea.

So Classic Sonic could be making a return like that. But the question is, does Sega have plans to follow that, or?

• Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, CEAON said:

So Classic Sonic could be making a return like that. But the question is, does Sega have plans to follow that, or?

They must have considered it already due to the positive feedback from the community, but I don't think they'll plan anything until they see Sonic Mania's sales.

I'd rather have Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered before a Sonic Mania 2. I really hope Sonic Mania sales make Sega reconsider this remaster while TaxStealth gather ideas for a Mania sequel.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, molul said:

I'd rather have Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered before a Sonic Mania 2. I really hope Sonic Mania sales make Sega reconsider this remaster while TaxStealth gather ideas for a Mania sequel.

For as great as that would be, I'd rather they move on to newer, bigger, and potentially even better projects as opposed to keep reminding us that the Genesis games were cool. Make no mistake, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is my absolute favorite Sonic game, but unless they plan on releasing it on Steam (can't stand touch screen controls in my platformers), no thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I say it's past time to split the franchise further and longer than just a single game, that's why I'm kinda of against Classic Sonic in 2017...

This action could've happened right after Generations, the highest point of Sonic in years, where EVERYBODY was talking about Classic Sonic. Instead, SEGA released that crap Sonic 4 Episode 2, thinking it would be "enough" for classic fans. To add to the pile of bad decisions, they made the falacy of, in fact, split the Sonic franchise into two, thus creating Sonic Boom. -Split the franchise into Classic and "Modern"? Nah, let's create a brand new gameplay style, designs and world instead. Like the classics have any ACCEPTANCE to be its own thing, RIGHT???

UGH.

Well, at least we're in the right way now. I HOPE FOR LONG.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

[..]

Well, at least we're in the right way now. I HOPE FOR LONG.

Yes ^_^   The gameplay of the 16 bit games seems to be deeply compatible with why human beings enjoy the experience of what i tend to call "audiovisual games" (in place of video games because they are not silent unless muted!)!  Unique, moderately to very dreamlike, environments, with very reflexive and mobile characters seems to be the sweet spot!  So it is basically that Sega/Sonic Team and now the current team are able to create with one of the finest audiovisual game engines in existence! 

It's bigger than Sonic really (meaning the compatibility between the programming of the motion/physics, overall gameplay experience, and people who are playing) and, thankfully the current design and promotional teams are people who absolutely know this!!  ^_^:)

On 10/9/2016 at 10:46 AM, CEAON said:

Absolutely. If Mania is a success, (there's no way it won't be) There will definitely be a new Series of Classic Sonic games. It'll be exactly like their plan was going to be for Boom before it failed. A main, "modern" game every other year, then a "classic" game the year after. Spinoffs interspersed in between. Everyone's happy. Classic Sonic, for a long time anyway, used to be something Sega wouldn't dare touch, but now, they don't make money like they used to, and they know just how special those classic games are to many people, so they've dropped "classic Sonic is a one time only thing" spiel and they're using him when necessary. 

Just my speculation, but i feel Mania is just the start of things to come.

• Thumbs Up 6

If nu-classic Sonic becomes a subseries, they should upgrade to HD cartoon-like digitally hand drawn sprites like modern Rayman and Cuphead at some point.

• Thumbs Up 9

11 hours ago, molul said:

They must have considered it already due to the positive feedback from the community, but I don't think they'll plan anything until they see Sonic Mania's sales.

The dream - well mine anyway - would be for Mania to be a critical success, leading to a new series of 2d games with pixel art or modern graphics, but keeping the momentum physics which work so well. We'd also get Sonic 3 Remastered released on all platforms.

Realistically? Well, it does feel like SEGA have made a very smart decision by not only opting for a new classic game to celebrate the 25th anniversary, but also for hiring developers who they and the fanbase already know and trust can make a game which plays 1:1 like the classics. This breads confidence all around.

What could this lead to? Well, obviously reception & sales we be the key factors, but with the positive reaction from the fan-base and all the positive media articles (I don't think I've found a negative one yet) I can definitely see another 2d game in the near future being considered. Of course SEGA could ignore all of this and just label Mania a one-off (purely for the anniversary) and then simply revert back developing 3d games and re-releasing the classics over and over, but they'd be crazy if they did.

Even if his leads to another 2d game getting commissioned, there's so many things to consider, like who should develop it? What kind of budget? HD graphics is more expensive than Pixel Art and I do like the idea of a Sonic game with high quality-2017 graphics, but I don't want an episodic four-zone game again. SEGA should avoid the Sonic 4 formula at all costs.

...but the first step is to wait and see how well Mania does.

Image result for patience monty climb the ladder gif

As for Sonic 3 Remastered? 

SEGA surely know how much the fanbase wants/NEEDS THIS :P

Again there are many factors to consider. StealthTax pitched the remaster in 2014 but were turned down. Even if SEGA greenlight it eventually, there's no guarantee StealthTax will want to do it. Taxman once said he didn't want to always be known as the ports guy........and now he's developing a new Sonic game and his own 3d engine, so you better be quick SEGA!

But hey, if we can't have Sonic 3 Remastered then at least we're getting Mania.......

Spoiler

Screw it!

Image result for my little pony friend is magic annoyed gif

I want my 3 remastered...................................& Knuckles :D

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, BenderTheBatman said:

Again there are many factors to consider. StealthTax pitched the remaster in 2014 but were turned down. Even if SEGA greenlight it eventually, there's no guarantee StealthTax will want to do it. Taxman once said he didn't want to always be known as the ports guy........and now he's developing a new Sonic game and his own 3d engine, so you better be quick SEGA!

You missed the biggest factor, the music rights. Unless the Sonic 3 stage in Mania proves otherwise, that's still gonna prevent 3 Remastered whether SEGA want to do it or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't they just use the PC soundtrack instead then? If they're not able to use the original soundtrack, there's an alternate that they can use.

It's possible they could just use the PC soundtrack, but I don't think SEGA (or StealthTax, for that matter) would want to do that. I think it makes sense that they'd choose to wait and see if the legal issues can be resolved.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, YoshiParty said:

Can't they just use the PC soundtrack instead then? If they're not able to use the original soundtrack, there's an alternate that they can use.

Yeah, it would seem like the logical choice.

Whilst I would prefer the original soundtrack intact, honestly at this point I'd be happy with a brand-new soundtrack (done by Tee Lopes) if this is what it's gonna take to get Sonic 3 Remastered green-lit.

31 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Unless the Sonic 3 stage in Mania proves otherwise, that's still gonna prevent 3 Remastered whether SEGA want to do it or not. 

If the music for the Sonic 3 stages in Mania is completely new whereas the music in the other classic stages is just remixed, then perhaps we need to tell SEGA that we would accept a remastered Sonic 3 with changes to the music. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone talks about using the PC OSTs in lieu of the Genesis originals (seriously it still kinda fucking annoys me how bad Sega seems to be at retaining the rights to their own soundtracks), but honestly I'm kinda surprised nobody's brought up Be Cool, Be Wild and Be Groovy yet.

Would be pretty interesting to see that remixed in a full level context.

2 hours ago, BenderTheBatman said:

If the music for the Sonic 3 stages in Mania is completely new whereas the music in the other classic stages is just remixed, then perhaps we need to tell SEGA that we would accept a remastered Sonic 3 with changes to the music. 

What's likely is they'll just use one of the levels with a track that wasn't blatantly Jackson or whatever's work, such as say, Angel Island. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If one stage of choice suffers a great change, they could get away with it by giving it a totaly new song. Like, let's say they pick Ice Cap, but instead of a snowy ice cavern, the ice now melted (example) and the level has a totaly new feelling and the "old" music (melody and pace) would simply not fit in. What if the Sonic 3 Ice Cap is becoming the Sonic Adventure Ice Cap, and Sonic Mania is a between? Or even the Dead Egg Zone, now under the sea, gets a totaly new music to match with the level new visuals and pacing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think remixed versions of the PC music is a fair trade-off for a remastered Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Preferably I'd have both soundtracks, but in the end I just want the damn game.

• Thumbs Up 6

What would our faces look like if Sonic 3's reimagined zones included the original music? XD

It would be like "ok, now I don't have a clue why they don't make S3&K remastered".

13 minutes ago, molul said:

What would our faces look like if Sonic 3's reimagined zones included the original music? XD

It would be like "ok, now I don't have a clue why they don't make S3&K remastered".

Depends on the level(s). Not all of them have problems with the music rights.

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

Depends on the level(s). Not all of them have problems with the music rights.

Yeah, I meant those levels with music rights problems :P

19 hours ago, CEAON said:

For as great as that would be, I'd rather they move on to newer, bigger, and potentially even better projects as opposed to keep reminding us that the Genesis games were cool. Make no mistake, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is my absolute favorite Sonic game, but unless they plan on releasing it on Steam (can't stand touch screen controls in my platformers), no thanks.

I play the remasters with a bluetooth gamepad on an Android tablet and with the XBox 360 controller on an Android TV I bought to use as a media center and a retro console.

I wish the remasters went to Steam someday, but you can play them with a gamepad, and they rock.