Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

15 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Awesome. More than happy to pay £80 for this.

...and, pre-ordered!!! :D 

I also upgraded my phone today. What an expense day! I hope one day I will be able to play Mania on my phone.

Dang, I was mostly after the PC version, but I guess actually PS4 would make the most sense, since that controller is the one with the d-pad in the primary position (I only have a Steam Controller for my PC).  Guess I'll buy the PC version for convenience's sake somewhere down the line.

To be honest I'm torn.  I love the Collector's Card and Cartridge + Ring, but I already have so many Sonic statues, I'm running out of room for them lol, £80 is a lot to spend.  I wish there was like a "Lite" version that didn't include the statue.

This is good, now everyone will be less likely to be alone on a Friday night.

Say, what if a downloadable demo was released on HedgeGroundhog Day to commemorate Sonic 3's release? Before anyone says that's too early, Generations' demo dropped 5 months before release for a special occasion.

1 minute ago, Cyrus said:

This is good, now everyone will be less likely to be alone on a Friday night.

Say, what if a downloadable demo was released on HedgeGroundhog Day to commemorate Sonic 3's release? Before anyone says that's too early, Generations' demo dropped 5 months before release for a special occasion.

Possible, but unlikely; I doubt SEGA want a repeat of the Generations leaks. 

2 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Would it be impossible to keep only things that they'd want to be seen in the files?

Not impossible, but it'd take more effort than a lot of people think. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Making a playable demo (especially for multiple platforms) would also take time away from full game development and they only have a small dev team.

At this point I wouldn't expect another playable demo if Mania keeps to the Spring-release window. We'll probably just get another two or three trailers teasing gameplay and stuff.

Maybe Aaron will show-off some of the other stages via the twitch channel.

• Thumbs Up 3

available in the uk? well thats good, then its only just a matter of time until its available in germany. glad i dont have to pay that much shipment cost then.

I guess I could buy the PS4 bundle and sell the download card. I don't own a PS4, nor do I intend to any time soon, but I definitely want that Sonic figure. 

BTW, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but who makes better figures, Sega or F4F? I have a Sega figure and it's pretty nice, but I would like Sonic to be slightly higher quality than a prize figure for that price. 

2 hours ago, Cyrus said:

Would it be impossible to keep only things that they'd want to be seen in the files?

It's not impossible. But it's very difficult to do, especially for a huge game like this.

Basically, it's like Jenga, only instead of putting the blocks back on the top, you throw them away. 

Now. you can pull out some blocks and the whole tower still stands, not a big deal. But then you eventually pull something out and the whole tower falls apart. This would be your demo crashing when the user does something which is no longer in the game, or the game tries to access a file, class, whatever, which now doesn't exist. 

But.. it's much easier, to deny at the user level access to the content you don't want to see. For instance, this is a very over simplified game loop for a Sonic game.

Final Game: Start -> Title Screen -> Level 1 -> level 2 -> level 3 -> level 4 -> level 5, -> End credits -> Title Screen.

Now we want a demo which just shows off level 1, maybe level 2, how do we do it? We could spend time trying to remove the other stages and the end credits from the game, but if we go back to our Jenga metaphor, it's a bit risky and it would take a very long time to do... But we can however make a demo build which would do something like this.

Demo Build: Start - > Title Screen -> Demo Level Select (2 options, level 1 or level 2). - > User selected level -> End credits -> Title screen.

So you might be thinking, how is that any different from what I've just said, because this demo build hasn't removed the content from the game, it's still there, levels 3 - 5 are still in the game, but what we've done here is deny the player direct access to them. So by selecting the ingame options in the demo, they cannot ever access the final game loop.

However, if we use our home made development tools when we get the demo build, we can use debug tricks to find that content, access it and potentially run it.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

Any news on the collector's for the rest of Europe?

not yet. but i think it's safe to assume it will be available soon.

Yay!!! Delighted, I have preordered this on Amazon and cancelled my order from the US. I did say I hope SEGA would do something and they have!!! Delighted is an understatement!! :D:D

Why not PC? Now, if this gets to Australia and its just PS4 and XboxOne plenty of us on PC will be real angry.

Retaining my US preorder for now, since even if it comes to Aus it's going to be like the UK.

12 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

So the Sonic Mania Collector's Edition for Amazon UK has disappeared.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Mania-Collectors-Edition-PS4/dp/B01MA31B2C/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YY8TH22NDB4SQCGA3SNY

It still shows I preordered it but you can't access the Product Page. Maybe Sega leaked it?

It's almost certainly a leak. It was apparently also on Amazon Spain at one point too. 

I guess it's going to be announced next week too and they'll want to look like heroes by saying "It's coming to Europe" when instead I'm more pissed off at the fact for several months there was the whole 'well is it coming or not?'

• Thumbs Up 2

Given how Sega or Aaron haven't made any tweets about this, it's most certainly a leak. Just my speculation, but I wonder if this was an announcement that was supposed to accompany something else next week, a new trailer perhaps?

Well, if this was on Amazon Spain too at one point, I guess it's confirmed for the rest of Europe too. It was about time! I hope it will cost much less buying it from Italy. Did anyone see the Spanish price?

12 hours ago, Zippo said:

Given how Sega nor Aaron have made any tweets about this, it's most certainly a leak. Just my speculation, but I wonder if this was an announcement that was supposed to accompany something else next week, a new trailer perhaps?

I'm probably wrong there, but it's been three months, It's just kind of interesting that Sega hasn't announced anything, this seems like an announcement that they would have in addition to something else.

With the possible announcement of an European Collector's Edition, I hope it gets here (Brazil or South America) too... I know it's very unlikely, tho. You think 70 dollars is expensive? I'm gonna pay around US$ 220 for mine just because of taxes... That's dedication.