Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

^In agreement with most of molul's sentiments.

Also, Pokemon Sun and Moon's entire fleet of new Pokemon was leaked through the demo by dataminers last night. It's already popping up throughout social media, I would avoid YouTube if any of you have even a passing interest in Pokemon, their suggested video feature is not spoiler friendly.. This is exactly why I don't want a downloadable Sonic Mania demo. People will ruin it for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, good to see SEGA catching on there is a demand for this game and the rather lovely looking collectors edition. I think it will be hard for SEGA to totally dismiss the idea of making a limited number of disc copies, because you bet your ass they would sell! If the Sonic 1&2 remasteres (& CD) finally make it to current-gen next year - and I'm starting to think they just might - then what an opportunity to release them all on the same disc along with Sonic Mania! Now that would be a disc collection to savor! Come on SEGA, make it happen!

Regarding the recent discussion about Metal Sonic; I'm all for him making an appearance in Mania, but I'm kind of tired of the Metal Sonic race-themed boss fights because they've been done so many times, especially recently with Gens and Sonic 4. I think a creative boss fight like this one from the Neo Genesis fan game (which I played yesterday) would be a good way to do a MS boss fight.

It's a simple and entertaining fight. It's so cool how you think Sonic has finished the act and then Metal makes a surprise appearance. More fights like this, please!

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, molul said:

I understand those who want the disc, but it's only a matter of time that discs disappear and you only buy codes, at least on many countries.

This is partially off-topic, but I don't really think this is going to happen--not with consoles, at least, since apparently virtually every PC release nowadays don't come with discs. (And if we do get to that point, I'm fairly certain it won't be in the near future). Even in developed countries like the US, you still have areas where due to varying factors--bandwidth datacaps, slow ISP provider speeds, slow console server speeds, etc.--you have poor internet connection/internet download speeds; if you even have internet at all. There's also the question on the accessibility of these games if they are pulled from the servers and can't be (re-)downloaded again. Look at the respective controversies that happened with the Xbox One and its original "always-online DRM" incarnation before Microsoft reeled back with the changes as well as the playable demo P.T. when after Konami's falling out with Hideo Kojima, the game was permanently revoked from the PSN Store.Wanting a physical copy goes beyond pure nostalgia/preferences, in such situations like these, I'd argue it can have actual advantages over having a digital copy.

A third point which is less about the convenience of physical releases and more about what Mania could mean for future titles: Speaking under the assumption that Mania is not yet another a one-off classic Sonic project (which I hope isn't the case), I do not think (or personally want) future Genesis Sonic games to be restricted to low-budget downloadable affairs like how Sonic 4 was handled. Nintendo still treat their 2D franchises (Mario, DKC, Kirby, Yoshi, etc.) as major projects--modern graphics/production values, dedicated merchandise/promotional materials, and retail releases, among others (and while they bungled their actual releases, so did Ubisoft with their Rayman games). While I'm happy that Mania even exists at all,  I think the Genesis Sonic paradigm and all that goes with it (gameplay, setting, art design, musical style, etc.) should be supported in the same way. And I am confident providing a retail release for Mania would go a long way towards accomplishing that.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, Jango said:

I know it's a pipe dream, but I would kill for a vocal intro or ending like Sonic CD. Or animated cutscenes. :wub:

This pretty much would seal the deal as the (as if it doesn't look like it already) ultimate classic Sonic experience ever made. 

Really would love them to try it, with Tails and Knuckles having their own animated sequences :wub::wub:

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Jango said:

I know it's a pipe dream, but I would kill for a vocal intro or ending like Sonic CD. Or animated cutscenes. :wub:

Ouch! I've always disliked vocal songs in Sonic games. I respect those who like it, but to me background music is background music, and vocals make it kinda "foreground". 

In movies, when there's vocals in a song, is because a musical scene is coming, with characters singing. Lyrics in background music distracts from action.

Of course, this whole comment is embedded in a big "In my opinion" :)

About animated cutscenes, I wouldn't mind, but I think it makes more sense to make cutscenes as in Sonic 3&K.

• Thumbs Up 1

In-game cutscenes should be in the style of Sonic 3K, which i think Tax/Stealth have already hinted at anyway. But having a traditionally animated intro ala Sonic CD would be awesome, it would fit the vibe that they have mentioned of "what if the classics continued on the Sega Saturn" too, I mean during the early Saturn/PlayStation era everything had either crude CGI or beautiful traditional animated intro/outro sequences. Saturn Bomberman for example, used to love that game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd prefer a new song over a medley. Fans will make a medley if there isn't one, anyway.

That said, I'm sure the credits them will be a medley.

I think the appeal of the S3&K transitional cutscenes is that they deepen your immersion in the game by using an illusion of gameplay to enrich your understanding of the setting.  If you swapped them for animated cutscenes, cutscenes in a radically different style, they'd interrupt that gameplay-based universe and actually take you out of the game, I think.  Of course, that's not what we're talking about, we're talking about animated intros and outros, which are intended to take you from outside the game to inside it or vice-versa, so the problem doesn't really exist there; I just thought it was worth talking over why I think S3&K's cutscenes work.

They work, plus those little sprite animations are always amusing...especially if they have unique expression sprites. They can stand out a bit more than just moving around the set of game-play sprites.

I'd love a short generic animation that acts more like a "trailer" than an intro to start up the game or end it with, kinda like the animation that plays during the actual credits of Sonic CD.  This way they could feature all the characters in a generic fashion and we wouldn't have an awkward situation like with Tails in CD where he just simply doesn't get an ending sequence at all.

In Mania's case, I imagine they would animate something for Tails and Knuckles if that was the situation, but it'd still be awkward if only Sonic players get a big bombastic animated ending or intro.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, JezMM said:

A random thought, but I hope Sonic Mania's ending sequence lends itself to providing both the expected credits medley as well as an original ending song.  The medley has an appeal and seems like an obvious choice, but I'm not sure what Tee Lopes would rather do, whether the larger team will have influence regarding that too etc.  What with the Sonic CD vibe, an original ending theme would be really nice, but the medley is such a strong tradition for MOST games that I'd like to hear one made up of mostly new tunes.  We could have both if the ending sequence is of a significant length before the credits, or they do something like having a cast list with all the badnik names and such before the proper credits.

Or the proper credits simply being long enough to provide room for two songs, I dunno.  Just something I've been mulling about soundtrack-wise.

I was thinking about this too a while back. My personal take on this would be that one tune would play during the "normal/bad" ending and then the other tune would play during the "good/best" ending if the player has gotten all of the Chaos Emeralds (or their substitute if Mania doesn't have them). Knuckles Chaotix had something akin to this, with a game medley reserved for the good ending (all Chaos Rings collected) and the dark "bad ending" tune reserved for the bad ending.

As for animated stuff, I'd honestly be content with anything. Introductory shorts, ending shorts, shorts that just have Sonic and co. goofing around (like the Unleashed short), doesn't really matter to me. Though with that said, I'm personally hoping for something traditionally animated that in terms of overall presentation follows off Sonic CD's animated material.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be down for an animated intro/ending, but beyond that I'd rather they stick with S3&K transitions.

If they did get an animated opening, ignoring all logical budget limitations, I'd want it done by TRIGGER; specifically Imaishi. That style of super frantic animation would be flawless for Sonic.  

• Thumbs Up 9

Ever since seeing both levels since the reveal I've been really curious. Who's actually behind the level design here? 

Is it Taxman? Stealth/Headcannon? Or both? 

It wouldn't be just one person, I imagine; it'd be several designers with considerable oversight and tweaking by the relative experts.

3 hours ago, Sonikko said:

I preordered this during the leak, should I cancel that preorder and make a new one?

Check the preorder - if clicking on it takes you to full correct page for the CE, then no need to cancel. If it's still showing a placeholder or something else, then cancel. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

Check the preorder - if clicking on it takes you to full correct page for the CE, then no need to cancel. If it's still showing a placeholder or something else, then cancel. 

It shows this in the order page (see attachment) but it takes me to the right store page when I click on the link.

Thanks so much for the help!

sonic mania.PNG

6 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

It shows this in the order page (see attachment) but it takes me to the right store page when I click on the link.

Thanks so much for the help!

NW - btw, may want to remove that image, as it may have your full name in it!

• Thumbs Up 1

How would people feel about this game being made portable? 

SEGA please make this wonderful game available on all platforms, including Switch. It needs the biggest market possible. 

Spoiler

I just want to play this on the bus to work ?