Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

I think the appeal of the S3&K transitional cutscenes is that they deepen your immersion in the game by using an illusion of gameplay to enrich your understanding of the setting.  If you swapped them for animated cutscenes, cutscenes in a radically different style, they'd interrupt that gameplay-based universe and actually take you out of the game, I think.  Of course, that's not what we're talking about, we're talking about animated intros and outros, which are intended to take you from outside the game to inside it or vice-versa, so the problem doesn't really exist there; I just thought it was worth talking over why I think S3&K's cutscenes work.

I'd love a short generic animation that acts more like a "trailer" than an intro to start up the game or end it with, kinda like the animation that plays during the actual credits of Sonic CD.  This way they could feature all the characters in a generic fashion and we wouldn't have an awkward situation like with Tails in CD where he just simply doesn't get an ending sequence at all.

In Mania's case, I imagine they would animate something for Tails and Knuckles if that was the situation, but it'd still be awkward if only Sonic players get a big bombastic animated ending or intro.

11 hours ago, JezMM said:

A random thought, but I hope Sonic Mania's ending sequence lends itself to providing both the expected credits medley as well as an original ending song.  The medley has an appeal and seems like an obvious choice, but I'm not sure what Tee Lopes would rather do, whether the larger team will have influence regarding that too etc.  What with the Sonic CD vibe, an original ending theme would be really nice, but the medley is such a strong tradition for MOST games that I'd like to hear one made up of mostly new tunes.  We could have both if the ending sequence is of a significant length before the credits, or they do something like having a cast list with all the badnik names and such before the proper credits.

Or the proper credits simply being long enough to provide room for two songs, I dunno.  Just something I've been mulling about soundtrack-wise.

I was thinking about this too a while back. My personal take on this would be that one tune would play during the "normal/bad" ending and then the other tune would play during the "good/best" ending if the player has gotten all of the Chaos Emeralds (or their substitute if Mania doesn't have them). Knuckles Chaotix had something akin to this, with a game medley reserved for the good ending (all Chaos Rings collected) and the dark "bad ending" tune reserved for the bad ending.

As for animated stuff, I'd honestly be content with anything. Introductory shorts, ending shorts, shorts that just have Sonic and co. goofing around (like the Unleashed short), doesn't really matter to me. Though with that said, I'm personally hoping for something traditionally animated that in terms of overall presentation follows off Sonic CD's animated material.

I'd be down for an animated intro/ending, but beyond that I'd rather they stick with S3&K transitions.

If they did get an animated opening, ignoring all logical budget limitations, I'd want it done by TRIGGER; specifically Imaishi. That style of super frantic animation would be flawless for Sonic.  

Ever since seeing both levels since the reveal I've been really curious. Who's actually behind the level design here? 

Is it Taxman? Stealth/Headcannon? Or both? 

3 hours ago, Sonikko said:

I preordered this during the leak, should I cancel that preorder and make a new one?

Check the preorder - if clicking on it takes you to full correct page for the CE, then no need to cancel. If it's still showing a placeholder or something else, then cancel. 

7 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

Check the preorder - if clicking on it takes you to full correct page for the CE, then no need to cancel. If it's still showing a placeholder or something else, then cancel. 

It shows this in the order page (see attachment) but it takes me to the right store page when I click on the link.

Thanks so much for the help!

sonic mania.PNG

6 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

It shows this in the order page (see attachment) but it takes me to the right store page when I click on the link.

Thanks so much for the help!

NW - btw, may want to remove that image, as it may have your full name in it!

How would people feel about this game being made portable? 

SEGA please make this wonderful game available on all platforms, including Switch. It needs the biggest market possible. 

Spoiler

I just want to play this on the bus to work ?

1 hour ago, Mark1 said:

How would people feel about this game being made portable? 

SEGA please make this wonderful game available on all platforms, including Switch. It needs the biggest market possible. 

Hide contents

just want to play this on the bus to work ?

Mania will be ported to Switch....eventually. Mark my words!

Even though Switch is coming in March next year before Mania, I can't think of any reason why Mania would not be released on the new console by the end of 2017 or early 2018 at the latest. Especially as Project 2017 is coming to Switch, why would Mania be ignored? It wouldn't make any sense.

Regardless of the Wii U not being as successful as the Wii or the three Sonic-game exclusive Nintendo deal coinciding with some poor titles, the fact is Sonic games do have a decent following on Nintendo platforms. SEGA would be hurting themselves by ignoring Nintendo. If we are to get a theoretical sequel to Mania, then the more sales the better and it's important Mania comes to all current-gen platforms (mobile included). 

Just now, Slingerland said:

I can answer this question for you. It's neither Tax or Stealth.

Here are the guys on the dev team who do the level design:

bear5.jpgBearTableComputer.jpg

They're very experienced. Hope you found this helpful!

Oh boi! I can bearly handle my hype from such fantastic level designers!

Send my praises to them with honey and hopefully they don't attack you and stuff.

Absolutely hoping this comes to Nintendo Switch, this would be spectacular for playing on the go. Given that it can run Unreal Engine 4 with no issues, the Retro Engine should have no problem running on it.

6 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

The hangup with getting Mania ported to the Switch would have much less to do with hardware specs; the Retro Engine could function on a toaster. It has everything to do with them getting their hands on a devkit. They're sponsored by Sega, but we're not sure what that entails; we don't know if that means they've been allowed to work on it prior to its reveal yesterday. Now, if they were given the devkit right now and told that they have free reign to make it work, I believe they could port it in time without issue, at the very worst a 'slightly' delayed release compared to other platforms.

That doesn't necessarily mean we'll be getting it for the Switch, though. There's always something.

This. Given how many Indies have shown their support for Switch already, we can only hope Pagoda West and Co. Have their hands on a devkit. Once again, I say people need to just start making their voice heard on social media, If fan requests can get Mania's collector's edition to come to Europe, I don't see why a port of Mania to Switch is even close to out of the question.

On 21/10/2016 at 7:13 PM, BenderTheBatman said:

How about Mania's announcement trailer, but with a twist.....

Dude, that's some serious work for what it is :o