Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

It would probably break many boss fights.

Even though I like it for hitting monitors.

• Thumbs Up 8

It would probably break many boss fights.

Even though I like it for hitting monitors.

But Tails is practically built for breaking boss fights. [emoji14]

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Potada said:

But Tails is practically built for breaking boss fights. emoji14.png

nah, you got super forms for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, FReaK said:

nah, you got super forms for that.

Super Tails even more so, just stand there and let the heat seeking Flickies do all the work :P

• Thumbs Up 5

33 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Super Tails even more so, just stand there and let the heat seeking Flickies do all the work :P

Ah yes. As Johnny would put it...

To be honest, though, being able to re-roll after flight could actually be a bit game breaking. Maybe if you were stuck in ball form in mid-air until you either land or hit an enemy. Hell, that could making traversing certain Tails-only areas interesting, now that I think about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Super Tails, I'm sadden by the fact that he probably won't come back for this game. His "Flicky Army of Death" was hilariously overprowered. Would have loved to use it in Mania, but oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh. I swear there were a few times in the footage we've seen where Tails has flown into enemies only to take damage (except when he flew into them tails-first). It only seemed to work on monitors, which is one reason why I thought it was intentional.

Not a big deal, of course. I wouldn't mind if they left it in but it's not like it was a huge game changer or anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how this turned into a discussion of how OP Tails already was in the Classic games. XD

But yeah, I agree with Diogenes that a spinball dive from midair would work better. Also, thank you to Bender for confirming that the landing damage thing was a bug, straight from Taxman's own mouth. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CuzEyeCan said:

... Oh, so you don't like Sonic 4: Episode 1's logo on here, huh? Well, how would you like...

image.png

THIS?! >:)

Much, much better! Seriously Episode 2 is what Episode 1 should've been (at least) and then some!

• Thumbs Up 3

Looking at this footage I can't understand one place that got to my attention how the stage Mirage Saloon was level designed, unless it was purposely built for co-op already... If you look at 2:50, there is a regular shield power-up that is very hard to miss and chances you will get it are very high if you don't have one equipped granted. And then couple seconds and steps later there is an electric shield power-up which is also very hard to miss and a regular player, like Iizuka is, will undoubtedly get it too instinctively, because it's obviously better than regular shield. So, my question is, what is the point of placed regular shield there again...? Unless it was specifically designed that one player will get regular shield and second get another, I can't get the point out of this.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Much, much better! Seriously Episode 2 is what Episode 1 should've been (at least) and then some!

What?! No! You're supposed to hate it! >_<

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Spееdy said:

Looking at this footage I can't understand one place that got to my attention how the stage Mirage Saloon was level designed, unless it was purposely built for co-op already... If you look at 2:50, there is a regular shield power-up that is very hard to miss and chances you will get it are very high if you don't have one equipped granted. And then couple seconds and steps later there is an electric shield power-up which is also very hard to miss and a regular player, like Iizuka is, will undoubtedly get it too instinctively, because it's obviously better than regular shield. So, my question is, what is the point of placed regular shield there again...? Unless it was specifically designed that one player will get regular shield and second get another, I can't get the point out of this.

That's really baffling. I was going to go with the co-op explanation, but then I remembered Tails can't use shields because he's immortal in co op, so that just puts us back where we started.

9 hours ago, Spееdy said:

When Sonic reaches the lightning shield item-box shortly after the normal shield item-box, there is one of those egg-chicken badniks. So the game is offering another shield encase Sonic gets hits regardless of whether he approaches this area from the left, from above or from the right. Going for the lightning shield is more dangerous due to the proximity of the badnik which we know moves fast-attacks quickly. So it might be better to just ignore the lightning shield or just do what Iizuka did by collecting the lightning shield and then jumping up out of reach of the badnik.

EDIT: this mash-up is so cool :P

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh cool, the game is being nice to you in case you get sneak attacked!

10 hours ago, Spееdy said:

For Tails and Knuckles, there is no point.  It's mostly just redundant.

For Sonic, it lets you choose which ability you want to have.  The regular shield will let Sonic keep his Drop Dash, while the Lightning Shield will replace that with a double jump.

• Thumbs Up 2

What style of Special Stage do you think they'll go with? Half Pipe? Blue Sphere? Maybe something entirely new and unexpected?

I want something new from the bottom of my heart. If they recicle any kind of Special Stage, the least I wanna see is a half pipe. Just, no more.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ignoring that dickish comment, there's confirmation for those that missed it. No more news this year. Also, he couldn't comment on a Switch version for obvious reasons.

Side note: Super excited to have Tim Miller and Blur Studio on board for the Sonic movie.

Screenshot_2016-10-31-18-31-32-1.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I don't necessarily need a Switch version with Sonic 2017 already confirmed to be coming to that system, but it would still be pretty cool especially since you could split the joy cons from the tablet and have Sonic and Tails co op anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 4

On October 28, 2016 at 0:44 PM, BenderTheBatman said:

Here (I think) is a slightly better sounding version of Mirage Saloon, recommend by Tee Lopes:

Dang, I honestly can't get this song out of my head. 

Also, sidenote, was anyone else reminded of Music Plant from Advance 2 from those piano keys in Mirage Saloon? One of my favorite levels from the Advance games for sure, so I loved seeing this shoutout (even if it's unintentional).  

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm imagining that the special stages will be something new.  1, 2, CD, and 3K all had completely original special stage concepts, and the talent behind this game can't have failed to notice that this is both a tradition and an opportunity for experimentation.

I'm also wondering if Mania will have lamppost bonus stages as S3K did; my guess is that it will, given that the team seem to be going for everything else that S3K did.

• Thumbs Up 4

I bet there will be bonus stages apart from special stage. Sonic Mania is Sonic 4 as we truly imagined, but with reimagined zones. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/23/2016 at 7:00 AM, Apple Miki said:

tumblr_oaqzgzK8Ko1varrrzo1_540.jpg

so this happened

THE MEMES MAH BOI (couldn't find the CD-I king so instead have this)

IMG_1463.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, TheMarioAmigos said:

THE MEMES MAH BOI (couldn't find the CD-I king so instead have this)

IMG_1463.PNG

23558509.jpg

;)

• Thumbs Up 1

So after over 20 years awaiting an official Dust Hill and kept getting turned down, we finally get one in an upgraded 2D style game with room for bigger layouts and more advanced gimmicks. In a way it all worked out in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1