Jump to content
Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Spееdy said:

Looking at this footage I can't understand one place that got to my attention how the stage Mirage Saloon was level designed, unless it was purposely built for co-op already... If you look at 2:50, there is a regular shield power-up that is very hard to miss and chances you will get it are very high if you don't have one equipped granted. And then couple seconds and steps later there is an electric shield power-up which is also very hard to miss and a regular player, like Iizuka is, will undoubtedly get it too instinctively, because it's obviously better than regular shield. So, my question is, what is the point of placed regular shield there again...? Unless it was specifically designed that one player will get regular shield and second get another, I can't get the point out of this.

 

That's really baffling. I was going to go with the co-op explanation, but then I remembered Tails can't use shields because he's immortal in co op, so that just puts us back where we started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Spееdy said:

Looking at this footage I can't understand one place that got to my attention how the stage Mirage Saloon was level designed, unless it was purposely built for co-op already... If you look at 2:50, there is a regular shield power-up that is very hard to miss and chances you will get it are very high if you don't have one equipped granted. And then couple seconds and steps later there is an electric shield power-up which is also very hard to miss and a regular player, like Iizuka is, will undoubtedly get it too instinctively, because it's obviously better than regular shield. So, my question is, what is the point of placed regular shield there again...? Unless it was specifically designed that one player will get regular shield and second get another, I can't get the point out of this.

When Sonic reaches the lightning shield item-box shortly after the normal shield item-box, there is one of those egg-chicken badniks. So the game is offering another shield encase Sonic gets hits regardless of whether he approaches this area from the left, from above or from the right. Going for the lightning shield is more dangerous due to the proximity of the badnik which we know moves fast-attacks quickly. So it might be better to just ignore the lightning shield or just do what Iizuka did by collecting the lightning shield and then jumping up out of reach of the badnik.

EDIT: this mash-up is so cool :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spееdy said:

Looking at this footage I can't understand one place that got to my attention how the stage Mirage Saloon was level designed, unless it was purposely built for co-op already... If you look at 2:50, there is a regular shield power-up that is very hard to miss and chances you will get it are very high if you don't have one equipped granted. And then couple seconds and steps later there is an electric shield power-up which is also very hard to miss and a regular player, like Iizuka is, will undoubtedly get it too instinctively, because it's obviously better than regular shield. So, my question is, what is the point of placed regular shield there again...? Unless it was specifically designed that one player will get regular shield and second get another, I can't get the point out of this.

For Tails and Knuckles, there is no point.  It's mostly just redundant.

For Sonic, it lets you choose which ability you want to have.  The regular shield will let Sonic keep his Drop Dash, while the Lightning Shield will replace that with a double jump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignoring that dickish comment, there's confirmation for those that missed it. No more news this year. Also, he couldn't comment on a Switch version for obvious reasons.

Side note: Super excited to have Tim Miller and Blur Studio on board for the Sonic movie.

Screenshot_2016-10-31-18-31-32-1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I don't necessarily need a Switch version with Sonic 2017 already confirmed to be coming to that system, but it would still be pretty cool especially since you could split the joy cons from the tablet and have Sonic and Tails co op anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 28, 2016 at 0:44 PM, BenderTheBatman said:

Here (I think) is a slightly better sounding version of Mirage Saloon, recommend by Tee Lopes:

 

Dang, I honestly can't get this song out of my head. 

 

Also, sidenote, was anyone else reminded of Music Plant from Advance 2 from those piano keys in Mirage Saloon? One of my favorite levels from the Advance games for sure, so I loved seeing this shoutout (even if it's unintentional).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm imagining that the special stages will be something new.  1, 2, CD, and 3K all had completely original special stage concepts, and the talent behind this game can't have failed to notice that this is both a tradition and an opportunity for experimentation.

I'm also wondering if Mania will have lamppost bonus stages as S3K did; my guess is that it will, given that the team seem to be going for everything else that S3K did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really great that this game feels like it's trying to "correct history" in a lot of ways, especially what with how the whole thing comes across as "What if the Saturn got that Sonic killer app system seller after all."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one of those things that was likely for the best saved till now as well. While I could definitely see Mania being a cult classic on the Saturn, it likely wouldn't have been the big console saver when everyone was hyped up about the 3D era, and would have likely ended up an obscure relic like Knuckles Chaotix that SEGA would never bother trying to emulate for a rerelease.

Released now, it's a super anticipated classic homage for tons of revived retro fans coming available for HD consoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I just remembered...It might be nothing, but it's interesting that they haven't shown Robotnik yet outside of indirect references. Looking forward to seeing what kind of Egg-o-matic/Eggmobile fights are in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be really interesting if we finally got to see Christmas Island in Sonic Mania. To finally see where Sonic's originally from after all these years. Something tells me that Sonic Team would probably be against that idea tho.

They do tend to be rather vague with the history of the characters prior to the happenings of the original Sonic the Hedgehog game. We know Sonic & Eggman had battles, and had met prior to the original game, and a few other tidbits here and there, but the rest is probably intentionally blank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

Something I just remembered...It might be nothing, but it's interesting that they haven't shown Robotnik yet outside of indirect references. Looking forward to seeing what kind of Egg-o-matic/Eggmobile fights are in the game.

They've definitely been careful to avoid showing any bosses other than the Green Hill miniboss; my assumption was that this was because later bosses weren't ready to be shown yet, but additionally it does open up the possibility of some kind of twist that they're presently hiding.  The portrait of the special Eggrobo directly above the Mirage Saloon boss arena certainly lends itself to speculation.

By the by, per the speculation that Nack, Bean, and Bark will appear as the Mirage Saloon minibosses - another hint that seems far too good to be true and which I am consequently taking with not so much a pinch of salt as a whole salt cellar - then I would imagine that, if they show up, Amy will 100% get some kind of NPC appearance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kinda wondering why they don't bring Fang back. They brought Amy, Metal Sonic and the Chaotix back, and Fang was about as, if not even more significant then them in the classic era. It's clear that there's a demand for him as well. His personality in the classics is pretty solid and easily transferable to the modern series, there wouldn't be much of an overlap with other characters neither and his design is already pretty unique and good, so there wouldn't need to be a revamp in that area either. 

Fang would shine pretty well in Sonic Mania and I honestly don't see why they wouldn't bring him back. His sprite animations are what give him so much life and character, and Sonic Mania seems to really know how to do character animations. I doubt Taxman and Stealth would screw up his character. 

What have they got to lose by reintroducing Fang? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FFWF said:

They've definitely been careful to avoid showing any bosses other than the Green Hill miniboss; my assumption was that this was because later bosses weren't ready to be shown yet, but additionally it does open up the possibility of some kind of twist that they're presently hiding.  The portrait of the special Eggrobo directly above the Mirage Saloon boss arena certainly lends itself to speculation.

By the by, per the speculation that Nack, Bean, and Bark will appear as the Mirage Saloon minibosses - another hint that seems far too good to be true and which I am consequently taking with not so much a pinch of salt as a whole salt cellar - then I would imagine that, if they show up, Amy will 100% get some kind of NPC appearance.

The appearance of Eggman (let alone showcasing one of his boss fights) is a big deal, so I can totally understand why they'd want to keep it under wraps and not show anything, at least at this stage. In fact, I don't think they'll show a full playthrough of an Eggman boss battle prior to release. No doubt they will show/tease a few seconds of an early Eggman boss (maybe Green Hill's) in a trailer before release. To be honest, I don't want to see any footage of an Eggman boss fight because I want to be surprised when I play the game.  

I'm totally on board with the idea of having an act2 boss-fight against someone other than Eggman in some zones, maybe against Egg-Robo in Mirage Saloon and Metal Sonic or Mecha Sonic in another level? It is important of course that Eggman still makes the most appearances as he's the main villain.

It would be kind of cool if we have a mini-boss fight again Fang at the end of act1 in Mirage Saloon, he then escapes and you get another (harder) boss fight with him near the end game, perhaps?  You could say that Fang has a knack for getting into trouble and then weaseling his way out of it...

I think Amy Rose will definitely appear in Mania, hopefully more than her sound-test cameo in Knuckles Chaotix! Maybe Fang kidnaps her and when Sonic frees her she becomes a post-game unlockable playable character? Yeah, I'm still not totally convinced that only Sonic, Tails & Knuckles will be playable. 

6 hours ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

Something I just remembered...It might be nothing, but it's interesting that they haven't shown Robotnik yet outside of indirect references. Looking forward to seeing what kind of Egg-o-matic/Eggmobile fights are in the game.

I'm looking forward to Eggman's design. We should get some pretty cool animations like in Knuckles Chaotix. Hopefully they will be creative with how Eggman escapes at the end of a fight. Like using a jet-powered rocket pack or something?

I'm hoping they will also reference Eggman's other name "Robotnik" in one of the zones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2016 at 3:42 PM, E-122-Psi said:

Another one of those things that was likely for the best saved till now as well. While I could definitely see Mania being a cult classic on the Saturn, it likely wouldn't have been the big console saver when everyone was hyped up about the 3D era, and would have likely ended up an obscure relic like Knuckles Chaotix that SEGA would never bother trying to emulate for a rerelease.

Released now, it's a super anticipated classic homage for tons of revived retro fans coming available for HD consoles.

I really don't think this would had happened at all in the hypothetical scenario you're describing. While it wouldn't had "saved" the Saturn or helped position it as a serious competitor like the previous games did for the Genesis; I'm sure Mania probably would had been among the console's best-selling games (if not the best-selling game, considering the Genesis, Dreamcast, and even Sega CD and Game Gear's best-selling titles were Sonic titles)--largely because it would had been the only original traditional Sonic platformer the Saturn would had ever received, even if it wasn't a 3D one as the market would had been expecting. It would had likely received some port or emulation in the years ahead, especially considering that Sonic R and NiGHTS (both from Sonic Team) were able to get ports/emulations as it is. A traditional Sonic game for a (then-)new console really isn't comparable to a co-op styled spinoff for an Genesis add-on that Knuckles Chaotix was.

I agree with everything else though. In an era where 3D was the big thing, I think a game like Mania would had been largely overlooked by reviewers at the time for not being a 3D title; though I presume it would had been received more favorably over the years in retrospect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.