Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

33 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

I welcome it. The biggest problem with the marketing of Sonic games is that Sega liked to show everything before release, leaving no surprises in store. I'd be okay with it if they reveal no more zones at all and just leave the rest of them as a surprise.

I agree. Although, i wouldn't mind seeing another remastered stage, because I'm very curious to see how they've been revamped, and I'd also like to know what the Sonic 3 stage situation is.

12 hours ago, TimmiT said:

I welcome it. The biggest problem with the marketing of Sonic games is that Sega liked to show everything before release, leaving no surprises in store. I'd be okay with it if they reveal no more zones at all and just leave the rest of them as a surprise.

Agreed, I too would rather have a majority of the game's content be left a secret until their respective release days. They've managed to keep both of these games under wraps for so long until the live-stream party so I think they might be able to do the same for these two.

15 hours ago, Zippo said:

That animation is rad.

With both Mania and PS17  being confirmed to have no more news for the rest of the year, who's ready for another nice, long information drought?!

...Anyone?

Me. I hope they'll show as little as possible. I would rather see a sneak peek trailer that only shows a few seconds of levels that will be in the final game, no more full stage gameplay, I can't resist watching those anyway.

As for the "info drought", I do believe that there may be Japanese info on 2017, but nothing about Mania (which is released sooner). Ah well, time to learn about the game "Sonic and the Jewel of Mystery", if anyone still cares about that obscurity.

I'll also feel the same with the keeping some stuff of the game a secret (I like to surprised). With full blown marketing of today, it is easy to get spoiled even when you resist.

Just had a thought though of the game. It's shaping up to be great and love what I've seen/heard but am a bit concerned regarding development. So far there have been 3 zones and 3 acts have been shown (Green Hill 1, Studiopolis 1 and a unfinished Mirage Saloon 2) with a potential of 6 levels done or at least there. The game comes out in Spring so that can be anywhere between March and May with May 31st the latest that it can out at this moment in time. There is a rumor that the game is out by April. Game has to be finished before the release date for rating systems especially PEGI and USK where they need the final game to rate and certification on consoles that takes time. The charity stream said that the build that they had is pre-alpha. If the game is indeed at that stage, then it has a long way to go and about 6 months left or less to finish the game. Since it took 3 weeks just to do the title screen that is great, it looks like it is going to take its time especially with the art and level/boss design. Why I am concerned then? One word Sega. Sega in the past were known for rushing games for deadline reasons, sometimes got lucky and still ends up being a great game with a couple of issues e.g. Sonic 2 while other times it shows that extra time is definitely needed. With Taxman's comment of more remastered stages than new, it just hit me. The remastered stages is due to deadlines and the comment of what people found about Tee Lopes music, the similar stuff could also mean deadlines. Plus with small staff working on the game, it would be harder than even Sonic 2 (seems like Sonic 1 either version in terms of staff members). There were only two times that I've known Sega to delay a game, Shinobi 3 and Sonic 4 compared to the countless many that they rushed out of the door. So it gives some possibilities...

1. The game comes out in Spring but only has about 8-9 zones (5 classics from each game and 3-4 originals). People complain since Taxman promised bigger than Generations while it looks like less and some feel like putting too many classic zones in their reviews.

2. The game comes out in Spring, has plenty of zones to play but its unpolished with some bugs and some not so good looking graphics as well as PC issues. People complain since the game isn't polished enough and Taxman's rep gets lowered. Patches depend on Sega, Sony and Microsoft's policies.

3. The game is delayed after Spring to make the best 2D Sonic game that Taxman and co can make. People complain since it gets delayed.

4. (My preferred option) The game is out on time, has plenty of zones and is a polished game. Yay!

Unless Taxman and co gave Sega a really old build and a lot of the levels are already there with the finishing touches as well as other stuff to do later (final levels, bosses, special stage, ending, etc). Then again so far there have been two builds to be shown to the public, the first one shown in Summer of Sonic among other places with the menu (2 levels with Sonic) and the one that has Mirage Saloon in with the Sonic 2 menus (3, possibly 6 levels with all 3 characters). Even then 3 months for a extra zone and two extra characters...

I find that Knuckles design is somewhat similar to what he looks like in Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic 3. The animations are something to be marveled at, which makes me appreciate this game so much more. SEGA are really going back to what made Sonic great in the 2D era and amping it up for the modern generation of gaming for PS4 and Xbox One. 

Keep up the good work SEGA, hope you can make more games like this if possible

My understanding of demo code specifically is that it's often very outdated by the time the public actually sets eyes on it.

Furthermore, I don't think there's anything to suggest that they aren't at an equal point in development with all zones - i.e. that just because we've only seen three zones does not mean that there are only three zones ready for public consumption.  We've seen that the physics and gameplay are at the very least complete enough to fool us, along with player character graphics.  The music similarities I think are frankly irrelevant, a combination of a single composer with identifiable tastes plus a considerable amount of editing undertaken to expose those tastes in all of two examples.

If SEGA were intent on rushing the game to meet a deadline, I think there's a good chance it would be out by now - a flagship multiplatform title to accompany a lone 3DS title that is otherwise their Sonic output for the year.  (They could even have pushed to go for the Sonic 4 episodic approach.)  The fact that Mania is a 2017 game I think is in and of itself a positive sign.

I understand being paranoid about this game, though; it sets all my "too good to be true" alarms off.  (I'd consider nine zones to be a good haul, frankly.)  But there is a lot that's different right now to what we would expect of the SEGA of past times; we're now talking about a SEGA that was willing to delay Fire & Ice by a full year.

47 minutes ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

It's a little thing, but I really like how the higher sprite resolution makes Knuckle's fists look bigger and more powerful.

I agree. He looks like he has more attitude than in previous games for the 2D era. His animations are some of the best I have seen so far. I saw Aaron play it on the live stream on Saturday, and its just a marvelous spectacle. Now, if Blaze was in this, I think the series would hit a new high.  

It's really great to have Knuckles so animated, he really looks like he's having the time of his life. I could see Blaze having a lot of fun animations in this, kind of like when you poked her with the stylus in Sonic Rush and she jumped. :3 Tails already freaks out a bit if Sonic starts moving again after Tails falls asleep, so that's a start.

7 minutes ago, Blazey Firekitty said:

It's really great to have Knuckles so animated, he really looks like he's having the time of his life. I could see Blaze having a lot of fun animations in this, kind of like when you poked her with the stylus in Sonic Rush and she jumped. :3 Tails already freaks out a bit if Sonic starts moving again after Tails falls asleep, so that's a start.

If Blaze was added to another 2D game that wasn't in the style of Rush, it would be interesting. Maybe even have her do co-op with Sonic, now that I'd love to see in action. Her play could be like Sonic, but more like Knuckles in terms of power

Didn't the president of SEGA said not long ago that they will stop rushing games to meet deadlines? With the level of quality we've been presented so far, I'm more inclined to trust SEGA's words than ever before. Mania probably started development in mid-2015, see how long they kept it as a secret to make sure what was shown look GREAT. And oh boy, it did.

5 hours ago, Jango said:

Didn't the president of SEGA said not long ago that they will stop rushing games to meet deadlines? With the level of quality we've been presented so far, I'm more inclined to trust SEGA's words than ever before. Mania probably started development in mid-2015, see how long they kept it as a secret to make sure what was shown look GREAT. And oh boy, it did.

SEGA have said that the quality of their games is now their top priority, as they felt that fans were betrayed by previous games in the franchise. But. if you look at Sonic Boom Fire and Ice, which was delayed for a whole year, that game was still mediocre. I believe that Iizuka-San wants Sonic 2017 to be the big next step in the Colors/Generations era, and Mania to be the call back to how the games were in the 16bit era. Which is why Taxman and his team are back, since most of the original members of Sonic Team are with Prop, working for Yuji-Naka San.

4 hours ago, Blue Speedster said:

SEGA have said that the quality of their games is now their top priority, as they felt that fans were betrayed by previous games in the franchise. But. if you look at Sonic Boom Fire and Ice, which was delayed for a whole year, that game was still mediocre. I believe that Iizuka-San wants Sonic 2017 to be the big next step in the Colors/Generations era, and Mania to be the call back to how the games were in the 16bit era. Which is why Taxman and his team are back, since most of the original members of Sonic Team are with Prop, working for Yuji-Naka San.

Sonic Boom F&I is definitely quite a bit more than just mediocre, and it's a large improvement from previous Sonic Boom titles. I would say that Sonic Boom F&I is an example of Sega putting less pressure on their teams so that they can make better games, which is completely different to the ways they used to treat their teams before. Even Sonic Generations had a lot of deadline pressure exerted by Sega, and it really shows. especcially in Sonic Generations 3DS. 

Realistically, all Sega could give Sanzaru was a time extension so that they could improve their game. I don't think Sonic Team was involved in the production of F&I. 

8 minutes ago, Sniper dreams said:

Sonic Boom F&I is definitely quite a bit more than just mediocre, and it's a large improvement from previous Sonic Boom titles. I would say that Sonic Boom F&I is an example of Sega putting less pressure on their teams so that they can make better games, which is completely different to the ways they used to treat their teams before. Even Sonic Generations had a lot of deadline pressure exerted by Sega, and it really shows. especcially in Sonic Generations 3DS. 

Realistically, all Sega could give Sanzaru was a time extension so that they could improve their game. I don't think Sonic Team was involved in the production of F&I. 

I agree that it was an improvement, but the time extension was there for a whole year is what I'm saying. Generations 3DS was actually quite fun, albiet short with Modern Sonic stages. Sonic Boom is developed for a Western market only, hence there are not a lot of Sonic Team characters in the series. Except Shadow and Metal Sonic outside the main 4 and Eggman. Sonic Mania, from what I have heard from Aaron is a game from the hearts of Sonic Fans of the 16 bit era and mixing all that love into what could be one of the best 2D Sonics to date. I feel as if SEGA are giving the team behind Mania a lot of creative control, since they're an indie dev team.

I meant no disrespect to you in my previous comments, its all just my personal opinion, (:

14 minutes ago, Blue Speedster said:

I agree that it was an improvement, but the time extension was there for a whole year is what I'm saying. Generations 3DS was actually quite fun, albiet short with Modern Sonic stages. Sonic Boom is developed for a Western market only, hence there are not a lot of Sonic Team characters in the series. Except Shadow and Metal Sonic outside the main 4 and Eggman. Sonic Mania, from what I have heard from Aaron is a game from the hearts of Sonic Fans of the 16 bit era and mixing all that love into what could be one of the best 2D Sonics to date. I feel as if SEGA are giving the team behind Mania a lot of creative control, since they're an indie dev team.

I meant no disrespect to you in my previous comments, its all just my personal opinion, (:

Don't worry about it, you weren't disrespectful at all. I'm just disagreeing on what you said before, we're not fighting or anything. Feel free to argue and disagree with whomever you want here as long as you're respectful. 

When I say Sonic Team wasn't involved in Sonic Boom, I mean that Sonic Boom F&I was largely produced by Sanzaru, which are a fairly different group to Sonic Team. Therefore, it's slightly unfair to put Sega down for most of its shortcomings.

And I don't actually think Generations 3DS is bad (I enjoyed it a fair amount too), but it was certainly very rushed, and should have been much better. 

10 minutes ago, Sniper dreams said:

Don't worry about it, you weren't disrespectful at all. I'm just disagreeing on what you said before, we're not fighting or anything.  

When I say Sonic Team wasn't involved in Sonic Boom, I mean that Sonic Boom F&I was largely produced by Sanzaru, which are a fairly different group to Sonic Team. And, I don't actually think Generations 3DS is bad (I enjoyed it a fair amount too), but it was certainly very rushed, and should have been much better. 

Oh yeah, I agree totally, and I think this game coming up is the best of all the 2D games in one package. The content in the other ports Taxman developed were some of the best I have seen in recent years. Sonic CD among them. Sonic Generations 3DS was co-developed by Dimps, which might have had something to do with the short length. Mania is all built from the ground up, so hears hoping it has the length of Sonic 3 stages