Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

10 hours ago, Sonicfan7 said:

I'm going with Sonic solo. Wonder if you have you to complete the game as Sonic first before using other characters.

I would hope not, I see no reason to deviate from the standard set in previous classic games.

9 hours ago, BlueBlur91 said:

I'm doing Sonic & Tails. gotta have the bros together.

Same and for the same reason :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'll do Tails first, since he's my go-to guy in the Classic series. Knux is definitely next, as he hasn't done anything significant in over a decade.

On that note, I wonder if any of the three heroes will have any exclusive Zones. (For example, a Super level only Sonic can access) I really hope not, since Tails and Knuckles shouldn't have to have shorter adventures because of something as arbitrary as not having canon Super forms.

• Thumbs Up 4

In all the previous classic games I play Sonic almost exclusively. I think I beat 3K as Tails and Knuckles maybe once while I've played it every other time as Sonic. I have to play Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm running with Sonic and Tails first. Tails' flight is handy to have, and I just prefer playing as Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 hours ago, Sonicfan7 said:

What character will you guys play as first? Sonic, Sonic & Tails, Tails or Knuckles? 

I'm going with Sonic solo. Wonder if you have you to complete the game as Sonic first before using other characters.

I'm sure S, T & K will all be playable from the get go.

My first playthrough has gotta be the bros. It's just nice having Tails following, it's a bit of company for Sonic haha. Also I love the "Tails assist" move, especially for getting to hard-to-reach routes.

I will get round to playing with all characters. I like experimenting with Knuckles & Tails and I want to see the endings and cutscenes for each of them. Hopefully completing a playthrough with each character will unlock different rewards. Stealth & Taxman no doubt have plenty of surprises planned.

I've still got my fingers crossed for an option to play with Knuckles & Tails (AI)!

16 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I had a thought about Sonic Mania - do you think they might improve the Tails-following mechanic at all? I mean, personally, I actually love Tails following me around and never play without him if I can help it (it's just so endearing to have my little buddy along for the ride, especially when he helps out!), but I know that's not necessarily a popular opinion and that he can be annoying for various reasons. So it would be really interesting to see if they'd be interested in improving the A.I. or changing the mechanics to increase Tails' helpfulness. Sorry if this has been discussed before, as I have a vague feeling it might have been.

In the Sonic 1&2 remasters they made Tails follow Sonic more closely, react slightly quicker when Sonic moves. I like this because 1) it makes it easier to judge what happens when Tails reacts, 2) it made the Sonic 2 special stages more fair and 3) made the Tails assist move easier to activate. This and Tails being able to help with boss fights by landing the occasional hit are his main pros. I do hope they've tweaked the Tails assist controls for Mania which were a tad cumbersome in the remasters.

Tails can be a hindrance of course; like when he hits Eggman just before Sonic attacks which causes Sonic to full through Eggman (he's invincible for about a second after being hit) and full to his doom. I'm looking at you Chemical Plant boss & Giant Egg-Robot in S&K. 

Tails pros still massively outweigh his cons. So I don't think they need to add anything.

When playing with S&T I wonder if Tails will be brought into the special stages (like in Sonic 2) or whether it will be Sonic solo?

20 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

To shift the topic a little, I'm wondering something.

There's the blue combi-ring from Chaotix (and several fangames, hoho) making a return in Mania; but one small thing that irked me about it is that when collected, there's no sound byte, nor a visual indicator that it's in use. What would you guys think about there being a sound effect, or what kind of indication should there be while it's active? The 'Rings' HUD turning blue, maybe? Some sparkles surrounding the playing character?

Maybe I'm being too nitpicky. What are your guys' thoughts? Is it fine the way it is?

It's a fair point. Maybe a small blue icon could appear at the top-left of the screen under the Time, Score & Rings so that it's less intrusive, when compared to Knuckles Chaotix which shows (a slightly smaller version of) the combi-ring item box icon at the bottom of the screen when collected.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sonic Mania is going to be so awesome. I finally understand the meaning of "I can't wait."

• Thumbs Up 4

I just hope Taxman, Stealth and PagodaWest continue to work with Sonic.

This is a real glimmer of hope, a chance for Sonic to finally confront and beat the contemporary Mario, Rayman and Donkey Kongs of the world.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is neat:

Lyrics:

Spoiler

Lyrics:

Lets Go!
Smooth4Lyfe man
and Tee Lopes!

Another master piece
So I gotta do my thing

Here we go!

Sing:
Feels like 98 degrees and gotta make it through the sun
I’m running on the water stream or shoot me up through Eggman’s gun
Bang bang!
But I know what to do and trust me I won’t fail
As long I don’t I fall and die from dumb mistakes from Tails

Verse 1:
Ho! 
You know I’m back again
And I’m spitting hot venom like arachnid 
Just pause like a manakin
And let me show you a lil’ something that’ll make you grin
I got a, new move you can call it drop dash
I drop so fast then out like Outkast
(in the wild wild west) better check the forecast
Its sunny with a chance of lightning thats me!

Sing Bridge:
You seeing things that just aren’t there
The walls have eyes their watching you
Theres only one place it can be
It must be the Mirage Saloon oooo
I don’t know what to do
Should I go up should I go down
We’ll find out next better stay tuned
Cuz’ Sonic Mania’s coming soon

Sing:
Feels like 98 degrees and gotta make it through the sun
I’m running on the water stream or shoot me up through Eggman’s gun
Bang bang!
But I know what to do and trust me I won’t fail
As long I don’t I fall and die from dumb mistakes from Tails

Verse 2:
I’m living life in the 2D
Super fast on the sand with my two feet
Sonic Knuckles and Tails we a 3-Peat
And if you wanna beat us eat your Wheaties baby!
I can run, Tails can fly
Knux can climb man and he can glide
I’m sorry Eggman see you can try
But hey I’ll play with you some other time

Sing Bridge:
You seeing things that just aren’t there
The walls have eyes their watching you
Theres only one place it can be
It must be the Mirage Saloon oooo
I don’t know what to do
Should I go up should I go down
We’ll find out next better stay tuned
Cuz’ Sonic Mania’s coming soon

22 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic Mania is going to be so awesome. I finally understand the meaning of "I can't wait."

My body is ready :D

This game just looks so fucking good. When it gets close to release it's going to be so exciting on here.

You know, we need a Sonic Mania HYPE TRAIN!

kiklmt9.jpg

15 hours ago, Zippo said:

It really says something when two of my cousins that I grew up with who now play nothing but shooters like COD and Battlefield on their Xbox Ones completely and utterly lose their shit and become eight year old children again when I show them the trailer of a new 2D Sonic game coming and that it plays and looks EXACTLY like the classic titles we grew up playing. It really does.

2d Sonic brings out the nostalgia in so many. I've said it before, I'm just so impressed with the overwhelming positive reception from fans and media. I hope Mania's success isn't a one-off. I hope it's the start of good things to come.

• Thumbs Up 6

13 minutes ago, Joy said:

You know I'm very tempted to volunteer and make an updated SSMB Hype Train. We've been in need of one for a few years!

PLEASE DO!

Someone needs to make a 2017 SSMB Hype Train! 

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, Soni said:

PLEASE DO!

Someone needs to make a 2017 SSMB Hype Train! 

I'll probably message Mayor D to ask for the green light from him, our current one was made by him after all so it's the decent thing to do.

But back on topic, Mania is still amazing!

• Thumbs Up 2

I would love to get a ride on the Tokyo Mania train but I might have sell both of my kidneys to afford that trip, I prefer a fictionalized hype train instead.

Going back to the Zones Discussion, would you guys like to see the Death Egg return or get a brand new original Egg Zone?

It would be nice to see an original Eggman base level, if you ask me.

Outside of Lava Mountain from Lost World, all the Eggman bases we've seen in recent times were all Death Eggs. Time for a change of pace.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Soni said:

It would be nice to see an original Eggman base level, if you ask me.

Outside of Lava Mountain from Lost World, all the Eggman bases we've seen in recent times were all Death Eggs. Time for a change of pace.

I mean, the last Eggman base was a theme park above the core of the Earth.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just now, Nepenthe said:

I mean, the last Eggman base was a theme park above the core of the Earth.

ihopeyou'retalkingabouteggmanlandbecausei'moverthinkingthingsrightnowsoyeah

And that was quite a while since we saw a base like that for a level but I'd consider Lava Mountain to be an Eggman base, atleast for Zone 2/3 but yeah.

I think I've seen enough Death Eggs to last a good long while, to be honest. And Mania's going to have plenty of returning locations as it is; given the choice, I'd prefer it try to make a new climactic final location rather than retread the same old one again.

• Thumbs Up 8

Something I don't think was brought up, do you think Knuckles will have a unique story AND a role in Sonic's like in 3&K?

• Thumbs Up 1

We have seen some videos where Knuckles starts in a different part of the level than Sonic and Tails, which implies he's not travelling along with them. I wouldn't be surprised if his story was at least a little bit different to match.

As far as interacting with Sonic's, though, I'm not so sure. He played the role he did in 3&K because he was an antagonist at the time, and unless he gets tricked again he doesn't have a reason to do the same in Mania. They might cross paths at some point, but I wouldn't expect as much interference as in 3&K.

• Thumbs Up 7