Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Hell yeah. This game continues to look gorgeous.  I love the idea of going up straight against the dam-like hills in the background, awesome to see the scale represented in this style.

I actually get some Jungle Zone (Sonic 1 SMS) vibes from it, too! Might just be me though. 

• Thumbs Up 6

44 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

C17IKzjWQAY1XY6.jpg

Act 2.

It looks like the Zipline from Sonic 4 is there

Also the Totem Poles seem to have a new faces and blue fins on the sides.

Edited by AxelPrime
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some really wonderful sprite work going on there, hats off to Christian and the team. They really went a long way to make such a familiar environment seem so new.

• Thumbs Up 1

Act 2 looks so cool.

But I gotta drop a few words here now that we approach the release.

I really want to go at this game as blind as I can.

I love you guys, and I love having fun and discuss all kinds of stuff around here, it's the only forum I'm an active member, but... I might step it out a little untill this game hits the stores. I want to be surprised by the re-imagined zones choices, and the new ones too!!

But at the same time I know that one day I will enter the SSMB and read a topic: "HIDROCITY REVEALED" for example. I know nobody here will do it with bad intentions, never. But I really want to go blind on this, like when I've first played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on a Genesis back then, you know?

This game is a huge deal. More than a game, this is an experience.

So If you guys don't see me rolling around at the speed of sound here too often, it's normal and hopefully I'm OK IRL too.

[emoji4]

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, HedgehogBR said:

Read the issue here: 

:P

Sadly, the words are way too small for me to read, but thanks for putting that up anyway. :P

Anyway, this game is so exciting! It's cool that SEGA is doing something great to cater to those kids who were in the 90s playing the original trilogy. :)

Edited by Hyobu Kyosuke

1 hour ago, HedgehogBR said:

Put in a higher resolution :)

01.jpg

"It's the Sonic game that should have been made 20 years ago!" 

Nice way of saying this is the game that should have been Sonic 4 all along. 

6 hours ago, HedgehogBR said:

02.jpg

A few interesting things to note from the article:

"the second boss (GH act2) a giant-walking contraption containing a better animated Eggman".

Perhaps inspired from Sonic CD's first Eggman boss in Palmtree Panic.

"remember the rotating spike logs-of-doom from Green hill? Walk on those with a fire-shield and see what happens..."

Sounds like element shields will have more of an effect on certain environments.

• Thumbs Up 8

52 minutes ago, EllieBot said:

A few interesting things to note from the article:

"the second boss (GH act2) a giant-walking contraption containing a better animated Eggman".

Perhaps inspired from Sonic CD's first Eggman boss in Palmtree Panic.

Now there's a boss that needed reworking, if any ever did.  I do wonder what this means for the original Green Hill Zone boss, though.  Will the new version retain elements of the old, or has the new miniboss effectively replaced the classic boss with an updated concept?

So, those logs will probably burn from the Fire-Shield then. That's really cool.

They also mention Tails' swimming animation, so I'd say GHZ Act 2 will almost certainly have underwater segments.

And quote from it:

Sonic Team hasn’t made a Sonic game this promising since Sonic Advance in 2001. What irony, then, that it still hasn’t. Instead, Christian Whitehead, Pagoda West Games, Headcannon and co. have stepped up with obvious determination to do 2D Sonic properly.

About that...

20 minutes ago, molul said:

"rotating spike logs-of-doom from Green hill"

What's that? Could someone please post a picture? :)

s1-ghz-objectsimg5full.png

There you go, the log that rotates and has spikes on it.

Act 2 looks fantastic. Sonic Mania getting new updates a day before the Nintendo Switch reveal couldn't just be a huge coincidence, could it?

4 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Act 2 looks fantastic. Sonic Mania getting new updates a day before the Nintendo Switch reveal couldn't just be a huge coincidence, could it?

Considering that said updates came from a Playstation magazine... yeah, coincidence

• Thumbs Up 3

Taxman has commented about the screenshot on Retro.

Lol! as soon as we saw this shot in the magazine we knew people would nitpick the tile errors in it. While Zones are in development, it's best not to get too precious about it since stuff gets moved around and tuned a lot (hence why the zip line rail was going through the terrain at the time).

I for one just think it's pretty neat seeing the slightly off colours of the magazine scan, it gives it a real "prototype" feel!

He also said the rotating spike log will have more animations.

• Thumbs Up 5

17 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

C17IKzjWQAY1XY6.jpg

Act 2.

so-beautiful.gif

Seriously this is just getting better and better every time we get something. Why can't spring come already goddammit!?

Little bit more from Taxman:

Well yeah, I mean it comes with the territory of the profession really. Devs spend so many hours working to make a game, so you can become numb to positive feedback and conversely, get cut deep by even a small criticism. But the important thing is to tally up the overall percentage - if over 80% like the game you've done well, and it's just down to learning from mistakes for next time.

Edit: Before I go, I should say once again that we most certainly appreciate the support and feedback from everyone here so far. What's been shown so far really only scratches the surface of what Sonic Mania has to offer, I'm looking forward to people's reactions to some of the bosses in this game! 

Crazy-ass bosses incoming...

I think the praise Tax & co are going to get will be comfortably higher than 80% and well deserved. 

Just looking at that screenshot of GH act2. It really gives-off a fresh feel to Green Hill and remember this is the tamest of the re-imagined levels. What on earth have they got in store for the other remade zones????

Okay SSMB, can you think of any creative Eggman & mid-zone bosses you'd like to see in Mania?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, EllieBot said:

Okay SSMB, can you think of any creative Eggman & mid-zone bosses you'd like to see in Mania?

For mid-zone bosses, I think it would be intriguing if they took some inspiration from some of the bosses of Sonic Chaos or Sonic Triple Trouble, which were all independent badniks not piloted by Eggman. It would be a way to reference the 8-bit games without making a whole level based on them, and I think they had some cute and interesting designs possibly worth revisiting.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, EllieBot said:

Little bit more from Taxman:

Crazy-ass bosses incoming...

I think the praise Tax & co are going to get will be comfortably higher than 80% and well deserved. 

Just looking at that screenshot of GH act2. It really gives-off a fresh feel to Green Hill and remember this is the tamest of the re-imagined levels. What on earth have they got in store for the other remade zones????

Give us:

320px-FinalFever_CW.jpg

I'm confident that the Sonic CD's zone act 2 will be FINAL FEVER, the infamous unused boss which requires you to travel back and forth in time to damage it.

I believe we might not see the time travel gimmick during the zone itself, but during the boss fight? Yeah, they will have to do it, it's Sonic CD's thing.

It's gonna be so gud.

• Thumbs Up 6

Unless there's something new. (Besides portability.) i'm not interested in the switch version of Sonic Mania for now, considering that i ordered the PS4 version awhile ago, but hey it's cool for people that have been wanting it.

• Thumbs Up 1