Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (Spring 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

3474 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, EllieBot said:

#BYTHEMANIA

Yay, we are all Sonic Maniacs.

Sonic Mania: Made by Maniacs for the maniacs.

...and, yes he's right. Mania plays great and will turn out awesome.

I've just finished watching this twitch broadcast from yesterday that he has done (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123874466)

He mentions playing through Green Hill Act 2, in October, and that there are some details he can actually mention although he was not allowed to record on video; but no one on the stream asks him to get too detailed, which is OK (it will probably be officially revealed at SXSW)!  He does say that the Act 2 boss is incredible!  ^_^:o:o

I've relocated where it is in the stream, it is discussed with no spoiler type information starting just after 43:40

EllieBot likes this

12 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

I've just finished watching this twitch broadcast from yesterday that he has done (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123874466)

He mentions playing through Green Hill Act 2, in October, and that there are some details he can actually mention although he was not allowed to record on video; but no one on the stream asks him to get too detailed, which is OK (it will probably be officially revealed at SXSW)!  He does say that the Act 2 boss is incredible!  ^_^:o:o

I've relocated where it is in the stream, it is discussed with no spoiler type information starting just after 43:40

"In GH Act2 the fire shield burns the horizontal rotating-spike platform which breaks and reveals new routes". NICE!

I found something that can be the game requirements for PC, I don't know if is official:

Minimum:

Processor:Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Graphics:Nvidia GeForce 8600 GS or AMD Radeon HD 3650
RAM: 1GB

Predicted Requiriments:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT or AMD Radeon HD 3800 series
RAM: 2GB

Found it in Game-Debate.com, you can also try the "Can I run it" section where avails your PC conditions and compare with game requirements.

I also found Sonic 2017 requirements, check the Sonic 2017 topic where I also post,

44 minutes ago, EllieBot said:

"In GH Act2 the fire shield burns the horizontal rotating-spike platform which breaks and reveals new routes". NICE!

Sounds like that thing from the article when we saw the first screenshot of Green Hill zone act 2 where it hinted to use the fire shield on those rotating-spike platforms a "see what happens".

Cool to know it brings in alternative pathways :D

2 hours ago, Gemster312 said:

Mushroom Hill Zone mid-boss for knuckles was harder (that's not saying much since it's still violently easy). For Sonic, the chopped logs only flew in a straight line. For Knuckles, it alternated between straight logs and bouncing logs (spooky).

Also, in Lava Reef Zone sonic using his Insta-Shield could reach the weird bubble shooting parts of the boss on the left/right side of the screen (wtf are those anyways). Knux was too short on the jumps.

So... yeah, there were still "harder" bosses, but barely. :P

Well, I also mean stuff like

angel island act 1 dropping bombs

angel island act 2 boss shoots more

ice cap act 2 moving the platform towards him

and other stuff like this

7 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Well, I also mean stuff like

angel island act 1 dropping bombs

angel island act 2 boss shoots more

ice cap act 2 moving the platform towards him

and other stuff like this

Yeah, i understand S3 bosses legit had like their own "additions" to make them harder, S&K really didin't do that other than the "add a different way logs can move in the Mushroom hill zone act 1 miniboss".

I hope Knux again is the "harder mode" of the game :)

Edit: Funny enough, although Knuckles was supposed to be the harder more, I beat the Knuckles version of the game multiple times before ever beating the Sonic route (the stupid barrel halted any progression for me on the sonic route). So, in a way, since the Sonic route was a "different/newer experience", I'm less good at it, thus making it kind of sort of the harder mode for me haha

On the topic of Sonic 3's bosses, I hope Mania takes advantage of the unique ways you can fight them. I've always thought Hydrocity's Act 2 boss was one of the best boss fights to come out of a 2-D platformer just for how many ways you can get hits in, like riding that water current he brings up, using his depth charges to fly up and continuously bounce on him and having Tails fly you up there immediately. If some of Mania's bosses can bring that kind of variety, it'd be a real treat.

Here's hoping the bosses from the re-imagined levels will have some sort of bizarre alteration to their pattern, so we're not just fighting the same one's from the old games with better sprite work.

It isn't fully uncertain but as mentioned, during the stream of Retro Sonic and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/834280582804746243 ) Nick offerred to describe a bit about Green Hill Act 2, but, only if someone on the stream wanted to hear about it!  He was able to play through it in October and was told that he could talk about at least many parts of it, but just hadn't had the time/location where it made sense until then!

I believe it's possible for someone who is interested to contact him via twitter, to perhaps receive a bit of information via direct messaging (In the stream he mentions having an awareness that some people may not want spoilers) and then, it could be posted here, or, Sonic Retro etc in spoiler tags.  ^_^^_^ 

It isn't quite a numbers puzzle, not that those are overly complex, but, this is very simple and direct in comparison!! It is just up to whether someone is able to contact him or not! :) 

9 hours ago, EllieBot said:

"In GH Act2 the fire shield burns the horizontal rotating-spike platform which breaks and reveals new routes".

I seem to recall that this concept was supposed to be used in Sonic 2. The Buzzer badnik from Emerald Hill would shoot out a fireball and if it managed to land on a wooden bridge it would burn it down to possibly create a new route.

58ae5f3b33ba3_WaspConcept.jpg.ec160a5efe2af307615a7edd3274ccf1.jpg

I did some digging around and found the concept art that shows the process.

Fireball.gif.9f9ac7d4a4f165c4368f93c7dc36325c.gif

This fireball sprite which was unused is probably linked to this. The black part on this sprite is most likely the log that is being surrounded by the fire.

I think it's fun to see how they decided to bring back an unused concept from the classic games. I wonder if they will do more.

8 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

Here's hoping the bosses from the re-imagined levels will have some sort of bizarre alteration to their pattern, so we're not just fighting the same one's from the old games with better sprite work.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that.  The details we've heard about what is almost certainly the Green Hill Zone boss make it sound quite different - a "giant walking contraption" in a boss room with "handy undulations" in the floor - and while the miniboss is clearly referencing the original boss, the execution has evolved considerably.  So it's quite possible for reimagined zones that they're reworking the original boss concepts into new minibosses, while the new bosses have license to do something even more radical.

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

I don't think you'll have to worry about that.  The details we've heard about what is almost certainly the Green Hill Zone boss make it sound quite different - a "giant walking contraption" in a boss room with "handy undulations" in the floor - and while the miniboss is clearly referencing the original boss, the execution has evolved considerably.  So it's quite possible for reimagined zones that they're reworking the original boss concepts into new minibosses, while the new bosses have license to do something even more radical.

The idea of a walker kind of reminds me of palm tree panic. We know this level gets ideas from emerald hill, so maybe that's where the design is from.

EllieBot and FFWF like this

SPOILER ALERT!!!

-A Prototype Of Eggman's Walker From Sonic Adventure 2 Confirmed As First Boss-

Find out where it all began in Sonic Mania...

12 hours ago, FFWF said:

Huh. And here I'd thought I'd read up on all we know about Sonic Mania. Thanks for sharing that, it just makes my anticipation soar even higher.

And since we're still talking about bosses, who wants to bet that we're going to get a new robotic doppelgänger for Sonic? Every classic Sonic game has a robot Sonic in it with the exception of Sonic 1. It'd be nice to see the tradition continue. Hell, they might just use Metal Sonic; I'm sure Sega has it mandated somewhere that he's the only robot duplicate allowed now.

Psychicmoose103 and lbyrd2 like this

53 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The series doesn't need an entirely new robot Sonic, that's just character clutter. If they want a new design, they can just say it's Metal Sonic with some upgrades. Though honestly, if they choose to use him, I'd rather they keep his usual design; a consistent identity is something this series desperately needs.

If they are gonna have a sonic robot with a ton of upgraded equipment, they should totally make it Mecha sonic.

It would be awesome if Metal Sonic is in Sonics game, and Mecha Sonic + Egg Robo are back for Knuckles? That would be really cool!

15 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

If they are gonna have a sonic robot with a ton of upgraded equipment, they should totally make it Mecha sonic.

It would be awesome if Metal Sonic is in Sonics game, and Mecha Sonic + Egg Robo are back for Knuckles? That would be really cool!

Perhaps another epic boss battle between Knuckles and Metal Sonic Kai!

Image result for metal sonic kai

The final boss fight against Kai in Chaotix wasn't exactly creative, it pretty much just copies the giant Egg-Robot boss fight in S&K's Death Egg zone, but I really like Kai's design.

YuTwo likes this

Had a thought. What're the odds of this being shown as part of the Nintendo Switch Indie presentation next week? 

Technically this game is classified as an indie title too...(?)

10 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Had a thought. What're the odds of this being shown as part of the Nintendo Switch Indie presentation next week? 

Technically this game is classified as an indie title too...(?)

Nah.

It's a SEGA title, innit. Regardless of who's developing, SEGA's the one bankrolling; else I guess Sonic Boom's technically indie. 

lbyrd2 likes this

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The series doesn't need an entirely new robot Sonic, that's just character clutter. If they want a new design, they can just say it's Metal Sonic with some upgrades. Though honestly, if they choose to use him, I'd rather they keep his usual design; a consistent identity is something this series desperately needs.

Ironically enough, it could actually be said that Metal Sonic has actually changed the least throughout all the years (Kai and Neo forms notwithstanding). The most he got with the Adventure refresh and Boom spinoff were modified proportions.

I never really saw the other robot duplicates aside from Metal Sonic as separate characters, just bosses to fight. It just seemed like a neat idea to see a new machine, as if Eggman was making new iterations on old hardware in an attempt to improve where the old designs failed.

Plus Mecha Sonic from Sonic 3 just looks so badass.

All this aside, I'd be fine if they decided to use Metal Sonic for Mania or just come up with completely unique enemy concepts. I'm not picky about my bosses as long as they're fun to fight.