Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Pretty slick trailer, though more classic stage remixes rubs me the wrong way. Not that I think it's terrible, but we had Sonic Generations that already did this idea. Just generally uninterested at this point.

32 minutes ago, Jango said:

Put it where it belongs:

dumpster.jpg

We can do so much better:

DumpsterFire2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Welp, gg Sega. Fuck yes.

I don't care if Sonic Team doesn't have jack shit at this point, there's a good chance they'll fuck it up anyway, because Sonic Team gonna Sonic Team. I'd love to be wrong, though, but that studio has some bad habits that they keep repeating.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm curious if we could see modern levels in 8-bit. Could be neat to see like one of the Unleashed stages in this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not worried about this game. Not even a little bit. And it's not just because it's not my kind of Sonic game either. It just looks like it'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I'm not worried about this game. Not even a little bit. And it's not just because it's not my kind of Sonic game either. It just looks like it'll be fine.

I'm worried it will be a one off and not a whole new series of 2D Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I'm worried it will be a one off and not a whole new series of 2D Sonic games.

If they do that then that hopefully means the 3D Sonic games can be fully 3D again.

Having a set of games that are full 2D and another set that are full 3D can keep the 2.5D that I've seriously grown to dislike from coming back.

SEGA should definitely follow this path, a series of 2D games for times in the future to come. It shouldn't be just some one-off quickie.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

If they do that then that hopefully means the 3D Sonic games can be fully 3D again.

Having a set of games that are full 2D and another set that are full 3D can keep the 2.5D that I've seriously grown to dislike from coming back.

Christ, I hope so. It's another bad habit Sonic Team developed with Unleashed, though I think that's also a side-effect of their ridiculous paranoia that the players will somehow lose interest in the core gameplay so they make gimmicky nonsense about half the game, they've done it with literally every game they've made since Adventure, which is why the pre-Unleashed games had "Sonic's shitty friends" and then when Sonic Team got rid of multiple characters they missed the point by forcing all the gimmicks onto Sonic himself (Werehog, wisps, etc).

Even if I was someone who liked the 2D games, I wouldn't worry about them abandoning it. They've actually paid more attention to 2D then 3D for the last couple of years at this point. 3D looking graphics can't hide what games like Colors and Generations actually were. Even Modern Sonic in Generations shifted to 2D despite Classic Sonic already having full 2D levels in the game. 

3D is the thing I'm worried about.

The Drop Dash is literally that move from Sonic Lost World where you do the Spindash immediately after hitting the ground, isn't it.

This game is a dream come true. An absolute dream.

5 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I have a new question 

WHY IS NO ONE TALKINNG ABOUTT THE DROP DASH???????

ITS SOMETHING NEW THAT ADDS TO THE CLASSIC GAMEPLAY AND ITS SICK

I am trying to figure it out by the trailer

I think you hold down and jump while you're airborn, and when you touch the ground you instantly dash forward? that's all I can think of.

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

I am trying to figure it out by the trailer

I think you hold down and jump while you're airborn, and when you touch the ground you instantly dash forward? that's all I can think of.

From what I understand, you build your momentum from the dash mid air, and then you speed off as soon as you hit the ground.

• Thumbs Up 1

I won't lie, the Drop Spin sounds like a genius mechanic. It works as a spin-dash that can be done while moving, but needs a clear vertical space to do it and probably can't be spammed like the boost.

• Thumbs Up 2