Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I think Stealth is not in, just Taxman. Am I wrong?

By the way, the new move is cool but I'd rather improve the animation when in the air to some kind of "egg" shape.

14 minutes ago, molul said:

I think Stealth is not in, just Taxman. Am I wrong?

By the way, the new move is cool but I'd rather improve the animation when in the air to some kind of "egg" shape.

the trailer specifically mentions stealth. Headcannon is Stealth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't expect the news to excite me so much. I have a lot of faith in the talent behind this game. It looks like the Sonic 4 people actually wanted. 

15 minutes ago, The KKM said:

the trailer specifically mentions stealth. Headcannon is Stealth.

Oh, I didn't know Headcannon was Stealth. Then great :D

Sega got through 25th Anniversary Party Zone

-Classic fans love x100000 <-- extra continue

• Thumbs Up 6

52 minutes ago, Mogtaki said:

Hey hey now. Who is they? Every idea is worth listening to as well.

The game isn't Sonic Team, the game is more of a commission involving several indie developers so you should be thanking those indie developers. The ones you are probably referring to as 'they' are working on Sonic 2017.

"Bring Shadow back!"

"Make all the games 2D!"

"Remove Sonic's friends!"

These are the kind of things SEGA has received, and listened to in the past. Comparatively, I think it's pretty safe to say which has more actual value behind it, right? :V

I'm... Not sure where thanking developers comes in, though. I'm thankful Taxman put his foot out there with the ports and pitched/offered/accepted to work on it, yeah, but getting this game out there officially isn't really a decision that he can make or make any impact with. I'm talking about the way Sonic Team/SEGA may view the Sonic franchise, not who made the game...

JESUS H. CHRIST.

STUDIOPOLIS' MUSIC IS HATAYA LEVELS OF GREATNESS. It sounds like it came straight from Sonic CD. Holy shit, man! HOLY SHIT.

• Thumbs Up 3

This game has brought me back to these boards for the first time quite some time.  I'm actually incredibly excited for this.  Everything about it just looks so on point at the moment.  Honestly I see this at worst being a fundamentally solid, but uninspired game ala New Super Mario Bros 2 or something.  But at best it could potentially be the best Sonic game to date.  No exclusions or additional adjectives.  Best Sonic game period.  I really don't see how this could go wrong considering what we've seen so far and the people working on it, and years of experience have taught me to exercise caution during Sonic hype periods.

Also, Studiopolis Zone's music is nothing short of magical.  God bless Tee Lopes 

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanted to read through both threads completely before offering my thoughts.

I'm underwhelmed by Project 2017 (Resistance, if you prefer), and this appears to be the game we were promised 6 years ago. Similarly, I don't feel the hype just yet. It seems like Sega are going safe, something to plactate the fans. "You guys love Green Hill, right? Have a new Green Hill! In fact, let's 2D Generations this!!!".

But, we know Taxman and Stealth can be trusted, and there's still going to be original levels. There's proven talent working here, thought PagodaWest are an unknown quantity to me (making a good iPhone game does not necessarily translate to Sonic either).

Again, not going to discount this game, but I'm not overly hyped either. Just not feeling it yet.

Any word if this is retail or are we expecting it to be download-only? I'd be surprised to get two retail games in a year.

In all honesty, I think I'm more excited about the circumstances of the game as opposed to the game itself. Considering the amount of dues that the Sonic fan engineering community had to pay to get to this point it's incredibly satisfying to see it pay off and feels like all the more of a victory for the fans

Thing is I've felt that since the Sonic community has done such a stellar job in building up that, I almost feel like it's spoiled itself in a way. Among so many quality fan games such as After The Sequel, the community has gone to the extents of almost remedying the issue of the constant "lack" of a classic Sonic experience. To that extent, as a game itself I'm not sure I'm going to be any more excited about Sega fully getting on board with an official project of this caliber, at least in terms of how the game itself will play and feel. On those terms, the game feels highly overdue.

Though of course, that isn't to say I'm not excited about the project as I highly love how it looks so far in terms of new elements. I just get the sense that my elation towards the game may feel diminished on account of how much quality output the community itself has been responsible for.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Covskin said:

Wanted to read through both threads completely before offering my thoughts.

I'm underwhelmed by Project 2017 (Resistance, if you prefer), and this appears to be the game we were promised 6 years ago. Similarly, I don't feel the hype just yet. It seems like Sega are going safe, something to plactate the fans. "You guys love Green Hill, right? Have a new Green Hill! In fact, let's 2D Generations this!!!".

But, we know Taxman and Stealth can be trusted, and there's still going to be original levels. There's proven talent working here, thought PagodaWest are an unknown quantity to me (making a good iPhone game does not necessarily translate to Sonic either).

Again, not going to discount this game, but I'm not overly hyped either. Just not feeling it yet.

Any word if this is retail or are we expecting it to be download-only? I'd be surprised to get two retail games in a year.

I was more giddy for the sonic 2017 project trailer than freedom pla...i mean sonic mania trailer. Both will be bought by me. But I hope this finally shuts up that segment of the fanbase that never stops pestering sonic on his fb post for a new sonic game classic. Sort of like RE2 remake segment with capcom......oh who am i kidding even after it comes out they will gripe for something else.

More than likely this is going to be a downloadable game. Its not the 90s anymore. Unless the game is 7 hours which i highly doubt it will be I do not see them making it a physical release.

I so want to know the plot behind Mania. Why does Sonic needs to visit Green Hill again? Cool bonus or plot element? Tails and Knux are integrated to the story or they're also just cool bonuses? Is this right after Sonic 3&K? Man, I hope it conects to the classics instead of just being a "celebration" game. It's my only concern, honestly.

10 minutes ago, Covskin said:

TSSZ did an article saying it's download-only. Apparently Taxman said at the party that the game is longer than Generations!

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Joy said:

TSSZ did an article saying it's download-only. Apparently Taxman said at the party that the game is longer than Generations!

I hope they release a Genesis/MD-style retro controller to go along with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Patticus said:

I hope they release a Genesis/MD-style retro controller to go along with it.

Just let the consoles accept this as input and we'll be set! I love using this on the Mega Drive hub!

4120828940_de34daeaec.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe it's because I was tired last night but looking at this again, HOLY FUCK IT'S TIGHT. Not sure if I'm a fan of the Drop Dash, would have to see it in action a bit more. 

Also I'd like to say that Studiopolis Zone really gives me a Sonic CD vibe in how the level's set up, which is interesting. 

Thank goodness the music has that CD and Chaotix flair, cause that Sonic 1 style MIDI music they had in the Sonic 4 games was ear raping bad.

44 minutes ago, Jango said:

I so want to know the plot behind Mania. Why does Sonic needs to visit Green Hill again? Cool bonus or plot element? Tails and Knux are integrated to the story or they're also just cool bonuses? Is this right after Sonic 3&K? Man, I hope it conects to the classics instead of just being a "celebration" game. It's my only concern, honestly.

It seems to have been done really well; there is a lot of new landscape to explore.    i would think it's possible though not certain that the previously explored zones are unlockable rather than part of the main game!

3 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Hide contents

I'm glad that the Green Hill level isn't a complete rehash.

Interesting, it looks like you can dash up with the Fire Shield now.

This game is a dream come true. I was in tears watching the gameplay. Everything I love about Sonic seems to be this game.

I can't stop gushing over that title screen animation. It looks so beautiful.

This game looks great. Now I just have to borrow my dad's Xbox One in order to play it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given that the retro engine can pretty much run on a toaster, I'm convinced you should be able to play it fine as long as you have a PC of nearly much any kind.

• Thumbs Up 1