Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Hot damn that Studiopolis music is fuckin incredible

My peoples' native dance.gif

God this game looks so good and we've only even seen two levells

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, molul said:

10 minutes of game play. I don't think it has already been posted:

Wow, this really is the Sonic game of my dreams. I think my favorite thing is the subtle animation of his eyes popping out of his head when he looks upwards. Stuff like that makes me feel like this is the Sonic game that they wanted to make way back in the 90's.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man the more gameplay I see of this game, and the more of the music I hear, the more I want it. I'm sitting here getting teary eyed and full of excitement. It's been so long since I've felt anything like this toward Sonic. It's so good.

To me this is like if nintendo came out with a real mother 4 or something, it's so surreal. I love love love it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Looking at those unlisted videos, that new drop dash ability looks soooo damn good for speed running. Since Sonic learned some new tricks here, I wonder if that'll also apply to Tails and Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also forgot to mention this, but I have to greatly commend the Sega PR on how they handled this game (and on a different note, making a huge effort on keeping the game under wraps).

Remember the Sonic 4 campaign leading up to its reveal? Months of buildup, announcements of announcements, the tentative "Project Needlemouse" codename, teasers with no gameplay (to say nothing of the first gameplay trailer having only three seconds of gameplay footage), small tidbits here and there, all to constantly generate hype up for the actual unveiling...only for the game to divide everyone.

In stark contrast, Sega simply reveals the Sonic Mania trailer out of the blue, and lets the game speak for itself. And I think it's safe to say the people are reacting to Mania much more favorably in comparison.

It's a complete break away from the Sonic 4 PR campaign's marketing strategy, and Sonic Mania's reputation will be all the more better for it.

• Thumbs Up 9

13 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

Looking at those unlisted videos, that new drop dash ability looks soooo damn good for speed running. Since Sonic learned some new tricks here, I wonder if that'll also apply to Tails and Knuckles.

Like many others, I just love the Drop Dash. Though I will say I do hope it stays exclusive to Sonic. I've always felt that the elemental shield abilities weren't quite enough. It's not like Sonic can just pull out a bubble shield on a whim the same way Tails can fly or Knuckles can climb. It's the perfect Sonic exclusive and I think it's slightly more fitting than the insta-shield as much as I love the move.

It'd also make watching speed runs a completely different experience for all 3 characters if that's the case.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really like that effect when get you hit by an enemy or spikes and lose your rings, they literally fly all over the place and close to your screen. Fun 'n neat little detail, yay!

That effect might've just been a result of getting hit after getting that blue ring monitor, Knuckles' Chaotix style. Since a similar thing happens in that game.

3 hours ago, TimmiT said:

I've seen him offer to port games to 3DS more often, usually nothing comes from it. I imagine that if Sega wanted to port the game to 3DS, that they'd do it themselves.

I agree. Sega has a reason its bringing it to consoles and pc. They could do it if wanted but there is probably a reason they art not.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Compiled a video of the SEGA References hidden throughout Studiopolis. 

At about 3:40-3:45 in this video, look at the clapper board that goes by.  The time on it matches the level timer.  That's clever.

I'd almost bet money that the Take number counts the number of times you've died.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

When you lose a large amount of rings they come out as larger rings that give you ten each.

That's because of the Combine Ring powerup from Chaotix, which surprisingly is in this game too. It even replaces the invincibility monitor on the lower path near the start of Green Hill Act 1. (I had no idea what a monitor with a blue ring was doing there and what it was for until I looked it up. XP)

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Am I the only one also hoping for a return in some shape or form of the super peel-out as well?

In pretty much every gameplay video I've watched, the player has tried looking up and pressing jump, but Sonic just, well, jumps. He does have a "third tier" running animation tho', which is odd since that usually goes hand in hand with the peelout (CD, and...well, tons of fangames / hacks).

28 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That effect might've just been a result of getting hit after getting that blue ring monitor, Knuckles' Chaotix style. Since a similar thing happens in that game.

I thought it happens when you've lots of rings and get hit. :huh: anyway, I really liked that, didn't remember it was in Chaotix.

As cool as the peel out was, I kinda figured they'd leave it out. You're pretty much just doing a naked and defenseless version of spin dash charging this time around since I'm assuming there isn't even any time traveling posts or any equivalent to maintain your speed consistently for.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Celestia said:

In pretty much every gameplay video I've watched, the player has tried looking up and pressing jump, but Sonic just, well, jumps. He does have a "third tier" running animation tho', which is odd since that usually goes hand in hand with the peelout (CD, and...well, tons of fangames / hacks).

In which sense? Faster speed and with afterimages, or a complete new pose? Haven't fully seen that gameplay footage vid yet.

Just now, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

In which sense? Faster speed and with afterimages, or a complete new pose? Haven't fully seen that gameplay footage vid yet.

Both!

e91da429a2e8611fd951c98ab5a76d01.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Wow what a read

I'll preface this saying I'm one of those who have no childhood/nostalgic attachment to the classics. Plsu the myriad of 2D fangames desensitized me with notable exceptions (That being After the Sequel). But with Mania....coming from me this feels special regardless. Like this is the "Fangame's Fangame"...but it's official . So unlike all those other fangames this WILL be a completed state for starters It's weird. In a way THIS will be the Classic Era Sonic game I will grow up with playing. Again, weird.

One thing some may have been overlooked (and understandably so in some ways) is that this is a finally achieved dream of a passionate group of fans whose working on a major new game they have been childhood fans of. They may not frequent here specifically , but they are still "one of us" at the end of the day. At the very least as a fellow fan you gotta respect that, least I hope you can. 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Both!

e91da429a2e8611fd951c98ab5a76d01.png

Aha! The pose is there, now if it only it had the 8-shaped feet dash! Still keen stuff though. So, is it procured from running long enough ala Sonic Advance 2?

Last night's stream was so much fun and worth staying up for! Someone, I can't remember who, said we should record the comments during the reveals, so I did just that. You can't escape your first reaction!

I'm loving everything about Sonic Mania :)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Undyne Phoenix said:

Aha! The pose is there, now if it only it had the 8-shaped feet dash! Still keen stuff though. So, is it procured from running long enough ala Sonic Advance 2?

I'm going to bet that it's simply from moving fast enough, but it's a bit hard to tell at the moment based on the videos I've seen. It would be interesting if it took after the SAdv2/3 boost mode, though--especially since I got a similar vibe from a few moments of the "Project Sonic" trailer...

19 hours ago, Auto said:

South Island is shaped like Sonic's face? Hmmm...

Well, it is His World.

• Thumbs Up 8

9 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

Given that the retro engine can pretty much run on a toaster, I'm convinced you should be able to play it fine as long as you have a PC of nearly much any kind.

Not if my computer crashes on even browsers. My computer is a mess, therefore the Xbox One is my only reliable choice.