Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Amy is the hard mode that becomes OP when you master her moveset.

Have you seen what the downward hammer spiral and super hammer jump can DO in that romhack!?

It is amazing how a character can change the difficulty of the same game and still make it really fun when you master it's perks :)

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

I saw discussions speculating that Modern Sonic might be a secret character.

I kinda want that to be a thing now. He could play like how Sonic does in Megamix (which was made by Stealth), maybe with the Boost thrown in.

I'd like it to tie-in to Sonic 2017 somehow. Maybe a prequel? Wishful thinking I know, but it's Sega. We've seen stranger things.

I've just had an idea guys.

Green Hill Zone Act 1 ends in a bossfight in a cave,

185?cb=20160723140418

What if the second act of Green Hill continues in this cave, since I imagine they will probably use zone transitions ala Sonic 3 AK as they have adopted the boss battles.

Maybe the second act of the reimagined stages have completely different layouts and explore unused areas of the original zones?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, ChikoLad said:

I saw discussions speculating that Modern Sonic might be a secret character.

I kinda want that to be a thing now. He could play like how Sonic does in Megamix (which was made by Stealth), maybe with the Boost thrown in.

I think I'd be more down for this than Amy. Never liked playing as Amy back in Advance, whereas Megamix's Sonic was awesome. 

Would tie into the whole "celebration of past and future" thing, too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing MegaMix Sonic has is the peel-out and the homing attack. I don't really get what's so worthwhile about putting that in game...and with boost? Over Amy? For seriously?

• Thumbs Up 1

This has most likely already been expressed, but one thing I especially love about the game (on top of everything else) is the Drop Dash as a concept. It's a really nice, subtle addition to Sonic's 2D moveset that fits right in line with what Sonic 2 set out to do with the Spindash and 3&K with the Insta-Shield and elemental shields. Like much of the game itself, it would've seemed like a perfectly plausible inclusion if a Genesis "Sonic 4" had existed in the '90s.

By comparison, the Homing Attack in the real Sonic 4 was fun to use and seemed like a good idea on paper, but in retrospect, as a new gameplay element I think it was too far of a leap. It changed the flow of the gameplay to the point that parts of the level design had to be altered to incorporate it (e.g. chains of Bubbles over a bottomless pit).

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The only thing MegaMix Sonic has is the peel-out and the homing attack. I don't really get what's so worthwhile about putting that in game...and with boost? Over Amy? For seriously?

And the light dash, which is really satisfying to use.

Amy was not fun to play as in Advance. Especially not compared to the insane sense of speed you can get in Megamix by using the moveset well. I wouldn't want Boost added though, that'd be weird. 

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Amy was not fun to play as in Advance. Especially not compared to the insane sense of speed you can get in Megamix by using the moveset well. I wouldn't want Boost added though, that'd be weird. 

Correction. Amy was the most fun character to play as in Advance. =p

And I'm not sorry when I say this. Amy deserves it as a character to be put in if anybody, especially FAR more then another Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Knuckles is sorta the 'anything goes' mode. He can be ridiculously easy or crazy hard depending on his weaknesses and strengths, especially when he gets his own modified route over the standard one. Compare Emerald Hill to Death Egg in Sonic 2 or Carnival Night to Launch Base in Sonic 3. You get lots of cool moves but gamble with difficulty.

I do hope they play on these balance of character advantages in Mania at least. We know Sonic will get shield abilities at least, I wonder if specific character routes will be made like mentioned above with Knuckles in Sonic 3K.

!!  :unsure:  I wonder if there could be shield abilities given to Tails and Knuckles for the first time. 

It would have been much harder and really not needed to implement in the original game and they did have fly/swim, glide/climb, but, it could be possible to think of many ways they could work with the shields using their own natures. 

Tails being able to release ball lightning by pressing a button while flying; Knuckles being able to access special areas through metal barriers combining his hand resilience with the flame shield..!  it won't make sense to go through all of them so everyone elses' ideas can have a lot of room!

Just now, Tracker said:

And the light dash, which is really satisfying to use.

Not sure how much use the LSD can get in 2D level design, doesn't really seem like it completely belongs...might be a bit unnecessary as its use would be even more situational than before.

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Not sure how much use the LSD can get in 2D level design, doesn't really seem like it completely belongs...might be a bit unnecessary as its use would be even more situational than before.

Try it in Megamix. It keeps the speed up, it's so incredibly satisfying to use. 

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Mel said:

What if the second act of Green Hill continues in this cave, since I imagine they will probably use zone transitions ala Sonic 3 AK as they have adopted the boss battles.

Well, I certainly hope that zone transitions will be in, at any rate.  They appear to be handling Mania as a kind of evolution of the classics, and to me, zone transitions are one of those little details that lend enough substance for me to consider it a must.  Minibosses in every zone would be excellent as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, FFWF said:

Well, I certainly hope that zone transitions will be in, at any rate.  They appear to be handling Mania as a kind of evolution of the classics, and to me, zone transitions are one of those little details that lend enough substance for me to consider it a must.  Minibosses in every zone would be excellent as well.

It's already been confirmed they're using the "boss in every act" setup from S3&K, at least. No idea about zone transitions. 

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Its more of an optional thing in megamix than requiring it in usage (just going off of videos i've seen since I haven't been able to play it) like in that sort of way that if your playing it casually then you don't even have to bother with it but when going for more higher level play you could use it to get insane amounts of speed and keep your momentum going better.

Yeah, the light dash was a decent addition in Megamix. You never need to use it, but there are plenty of opportunities for extra speed, and sometimes it helps Sonic get through or to a section he'd normally have trouble with compared to Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow (who has a double jump in MM).

Either way, I don't see a reason to get too fussy about which potential characters beyond the classic Team Sonic we get (especially since it's not a certainty we will get any more characters).

The game will be on PC so you can bet the side of the Sonic community that does mods and fan-games and what not will have a field day with this game. Depending on how quickly it starts getting modded and how accessible the tools are for modding, this game could easily replace the idea of hacking the Genesis games for many people.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 hours ago, Mel said:

I've just had an idea guys.

Green Hill Zone Act 1 ends in a bossfight in a cave,

185?cb=20160723140418

Maybe the second act of the reimagined stages have completely different layouts and explore unused areas of the original zones?

Someone at Retro said that it'd be cool if act 2 was inspired by some of the extra sections on Generations which I agree with.

Sonic-Generations-Screenshots-3.jpg

Sonic-Generations-Screenshots-4.jpg

56xyHVF.jpg

nAPZVg5.jpg

Especially the third one. (not talking about the rails)

EDIT:

900px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_-_Green_Hill_Zo

I keep forgetting the Game Gear exists... Sorry

• Thumbs Up 6

Did we ever find out if this would be a mainline Sonic game? Or is it just a recreation of different classical levels of the past all in one game, with the introduction of new zones as well?

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Joellui said:

Did we ever find out if this would be a mainline Sonic game? Or is it just a recreation of different classical levels of the past all in one game, with the introduction of new zones as well?

QUICK EDIT: WHOA, wrong topic.

Yes, it's the latter.

Edited by Sonictrainer

So is anyone else hoping for an option to play as Sonic with Tails following you? I love the two bros takin' on the world together.

• Thumbs Up 9

18 minutes ago, Chili Dawg said:

So is anyone else hoping for an option to play as Sonic with Tails following you? I love the two bros takin' on the world together.

Taxman and Stealth actually added Sonic+Tails as a character choice in their Sonic 1 port, so I would be surprised if Mania didn't feature it as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway, though. I also love having Tails tag along whenever it's an option.

• Thumbs Up 8

Except when he attacks the boss right before you do and you end up falling to your death in the worst cases...

Twin tailed bastard fucked me up a plenty (and still does) when I replay old levels like Chemical Plant and S3&K's Death Egg robot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy would be an interesting and sensible addition to a classic Sonic game. And in Advance she acted as a sort of hard mode for the game, so I wouldn't mind seeing it back here.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Except when he attacks the boss right before you do and you end up falling to your death in the worst cases...

Twin tailed bastard fucked me up a plenty (and still does) when I replay old levels like Chemical Plant and S3&K's Death Egg robot.

He just wants to help, okay?! ;_;

In all seriousness, and on a related note, if Tails A.I. is in here, I wonder if they'll just copy from S3's or update it. Surely there's something they could do to make the A.I. less, err, troublesome in certain situations.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

He just wants to help, okay?! ;_;

In all seriousness, and on a related note, if Tails A.I. is in here, I wonder if they'll just copy from S3's or update it. Surely there's something they could do to make the A.I. less, err, troublesome in certain situations.

He can help by staying out of my way! :V

No really tho, I'm expecting them to deal with that more. In fact, would it be stepping on anyone's toes if they took some inspiration from Sonic Advance 3's team system and applied something like that here for all characters...or at least just Sonic and Tails?