Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I wonder how Takashi Iizuka feels about all this lol. Though if he didn't like it, he has the authority to make Sega stop-- and he hasn't made Sega stop yet. So that's a good sign.

(Love the ad btw)

I hope to hear more about Sonic Mania. Its pretty rare that something Classic-related catches my eye and makes me hype all over, but that's what Mania does. Come on Sega, show off more levels and gameplay pls.

Stuff from the Stream:

• More Classic levels than new ones.
  • Sonic, Tails and Knukles only playable, No hidden unlockables, no Mighty/Ray etc.
  • There is a new item in the game not used before.
  • Project 2017 is coming Winter 2017, no new info yet.
  • Thumbs Up 8

So this game's gonna be another nostalgia fest then. I wanted more original content to make this game its own thing, but I'm sure it'll still be good, I'm still hyped.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm holding my breath until we know the ratio of Classic to New levels. Could be anything at this point.

Saying that, as long as the old levels are reimagined enough (and GHZ Act 1 alone gives me faith) I'll probably be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I just noticed that the sky's reflected on the wings of the title screen's emblem. The attention to detail in these graphics is amazing, I really hope the animation budget wasn't blown on what we've been shown so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Stuff from the Stream:

• More Classic levels than new ones.
  • Sonic, Tails and Knukles only playable, No hidden unlockables, no Mighty/Ray etc.
  • There is a new item in the game not used before.
  • Project 2017 is coming Winter 2017, no new info yet.

I'm totally down with Sonic, Tails & Knuckles only being playable. Of course they could be lying.......

A new item, maybe related to the Chaos Emeralds or Super Sonic???

As for "More Classic levels than new ones". Waits for SEGA to do damage control :P 

Remember Mania is "bigger than Gens". Gens has nine main zones. So maybe Mania has five classic zones (one from Sonic 1,2, CD, 3 and S&K) and four new zones, so it would have nine zones like Gens. Or maybe 10 classic ones (two from each classic game) and four new zones?

Regardless, I'm sure it will turn out damn good!

Also, thought I'd post this video. The highlight is in Studiopolis. We see a route which hasn't been shown off yet:

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll also hold a full comment until we learn more but I gotta say... this is kind of what I was growing to be afraid of.

Here's the thing, it's not just the level layouts that I'm excited for. From what we've been shown so far, this game looks drop dead gorgeous. Studiopolis is vibrant, full of life, and really shows what's possible for new, classic styled zones with current hardware and care. I really hope they don't waste too much energy bringing in old assets we've already seen numerous times already.

Yes, the new Green Hill looks good but... it's still Green Hill. I'd very much rather have something new over it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Cyrus said:

Just what is that blue ring item box? I'm guessing that it gets turns the giant ring wireframes into accessable giant rings.

When you lose rings, the box condenses every 20 rings you have into 1 giant ring to make it easier to recollect them. Inspired by the Knuckles Chaotix item I think.

Oh is that why the rings come out larger than usual sometimes in this game? I never knew about that and Knuckles Chaotix turned me off too early for me to that item.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinda disappointed that we're getting more old levels but i'll wait and see what they do with them because for all we know some of them could get changed up so much that they'll be a different stage entirely and thats not to mention the fact that we're still getting new zones with this so this is only a minor negative for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

It seems like a win win situation if they have for example brainstormed/partially developed a number of new zone ideas; and chose some to be used in Mania, and allowed some to be saved for a future game along with new ideas that will emerge along the way!!

• Thumbs Up 3