Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

I'm slightly disappointed about there being more classic levels than new stages, but I'm waiting to see what they'll do. I just hope the stages won't be the same as Generations. :P

I just hope the game will be really big! :o

Neat, I'll be going on Saturday. Since I decided to play Green Hill at SoS, I'll be trying out Studiopolis this time.

I'm intrigued with Taxman's mention that it's going to be a big game. He knows what the community is like, he knows the expectations, he wouldn't throw around words like "big" without it being truthful. Big compared to what should be the next question.

I'm still pondering over the "This is where it begins" line in the original trailer too. The placement and wording is pretty ambiguous. Beginning of what exactaly? The beginning of the anniversary based game related stuff? The begining of the info regarding Mania? The beginning of a new series of classic games? The beginning of a connected product line (Mania and 2017)? Or am I looking into it too much?

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what would be cool, if the game is so huge that there's basically an entire game's worth of new levels even given that there are less of them than returning levels.

There are 5 returning zones since Taxman said on GAF that we'll see stuff from Sonic 3 and S&K separately.

At best case, 4 new zones, I'm thinking 2 acts per zone, a total of 18 levels, plus 9 mid-bosses and 9 Eggman (?) bosses. Not counting a possible final boss.

So it's basically: the same ammount of levels of Sonic 1; 2 less than Sonic 2 (counting Sky Chase/Wing Fortress, the single act of Hidden Palace and Metropolis third act, but not Death Egg since it's just a boss), 4 less than Sonic 3&K (yes, combined, eventhought Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary have only one act each) and finally also the same ammount of CD... And note that CD's third acts are not "real" levels...

So yeah, all that, plus cutscenes, Special Stages, maybe even Bonus Stages, mid-bosses and bosses, I'd say

It's a pretty fucking long game.

6 hours ago, Jango said:

There are 5 returning zones since Taxman said on GAF that we'll see stuff from Sonic 3 and S&K separately.

At best case, 4 new zones, I'm thinking 2 acts per zone, a total of 18 levels, plus 9 mid-bosses and 9 Eggman (?) bosses. Not counting a possible final boss.

So it's basically: the same ammount of levels of Sonic 1; 2 less than Sonic 2 (counting Sky Chase/Wing Fortress, the single act of Hidden Palace and Metropolis third act, but not Death Egg since it's just a boss), 4 less than Sonic 3&K (yes, combined, eventhought Hidden Palace and Sky Sanctuary have only one act each) and finally also the same ammount of CD... And note that CD's third acts are not "real" levels...

So yeah, all that, plus cutscenes, Special Stages, maybe even Bonus Stages, mid-bosses and bosses, I'd say

It's a pretty fucking long game.

Maybe we also get zones from more obscure games (Chaotix, GG games, etc) or some double-dips, making it even longer.

A Chaotix level would actually make me cry the joyful tears. I'm not going to think about it because it's not going to happen.

On the other hand...

They keep saying this game is gonna be big. Could that mean they'll take more than 1 old skool level per game? Or could it mean... they'll actually take levels from games besides 1, 2, 3&K, and CD?

I could see them throwing something like Bridge Zone into the mix or something. That's not crazy... right?

On 9/20/2016 at 9:56 PM, Detective Paradox said:
I wonder what they're going to be streaming on the Official Twitch Channel. Could it be that they're going to reveal the Collector's Edition Pack for Europe? I hope they do lol

I'm not holding my breath on this, but I hope the CE is revealed for Australia too. Can't forget the Taxman's home country!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont think its likely, but if we were to get more than the already mentioned Mega Drive set and CD, then I vote for Sunset Park Zone being remixed, with a Nack the Weasel boss battle on the top of one of the Marve-shupopolous-gou train cars while said train is in motion.

I do hope Taxman is able to finally use his concepts for Desert Dazzle Zone, that and maybe the boss battle he invisioned for Final Fever. Maybe Eggman is dabbling in time shenanagins in the Sonic CD portion of the game again who knows.

I hope they don't go the easy route with the story.."Eggman's latest scheme/machine has pulled different parts of Sonic's world into a single island and it's up to Sonic to restore them to their rightful place". Having a coherant world that Sonic has to travel around in, actually taking into account that each classic game was in a different location for example, would do the story a world of good overall I feel.

• Thumbs Up 4

Thinking a bit more about the "more reimagined than new levels", well, maybe reimagined stages look almost like new, which is not that bad. However, I'd also reimagine (remix) the zones music to enhance that feeling. Reimagined GH music sounds too close to the original, while a remix for act 2 would actually feel like something new, or at least newer.

14 hours ago, Jango said:

It's not necessarily going be one returning zone per game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Apologies, hadn't seen zone transitions confirmed or mentioned anywhere, but this comment reads like Mania between acts will have level changes like the Mushroom Hill acts.

Screenshot_2016-09-22-11-27-39.png

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, CorrieCubed said:

Apologies, hadn't seen zone transitions confirmed or mentioned anywhere, but this comment reads like Mania between acts will have level changes like the Mushroom Hill acts.

Screenshot_2016-09-22-11-27-39.png

Good catch!

Looks like we'll be going deeper underground, S1 SMS style then. Exciting stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Neo Metallix said:

#teamsandopolis here! I hope that level gets included in the game!! I wouldn't mind some obscure levels from Chaotix though.

Why not add Metropolis and we'd have an "opolis" trilogy in Mania :P

4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

With Taxman stating Mania is a BIG game and I'd imagine they'd want to equally represent zones from the classics, so then maybe two zones from each classic is possible? 

I like to think Taxman is teasing Mania will be at least as big as 3&K which has 25 acts. Maybe even as big as Chaotix, which has about 32 acts. If say, Mania as 15 zones = 30 acts (five new and 10 reimagined) then it's a pretty big game being developed by such a small team!

Just picking one zone from each classic must be such a difficult choice. By picking two zones there's a better chance for fans to get at least one zone from each classic which they like.

Gene said they are looking to do regular twitch streams on Fridays. I like to think it as an improvement over Sonic 4's "concept art Friday" :P

They can show off bits of new zones and tease us to their heart's content!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm!!  it seems possible that act 2 of Green Hill really may be on its way this or next week! 

if it is reached as described, a very big fall, it may even be to a partially underwater section of the caves, perhaps gradually traversing back to a never before presented area of the surface!  ^_^:o 

So I got to play Sonic Mania today at EGX. Some thoughts:

-I think that the drop dash is a fantastic new move. I was using it basically every jump. For those unclear on how it works, you jump into the air using A and hold X to start a kind of mid-air rev. If Sonic hits the the ground during this rev, you'll spin dash instantly on landing. I was pretty much constantly using this move once I figured out how to do it. It lets you spin dash without stopping, effectively.

-Physics are perfect as we all knew they would be.

-There was a blue ring monitor that I couldn't figure out what was for (idk if you guys know what it does tho)

-I was able to play through GHZ and SZ before my turn was over, so I felt like I got a good play session in (however I finished these rather quickly).

-If you're heading to EGX over the coming days, you'll be pleased to know that each station where you can play the game comes equipped with a pair of incredibly loud headphones so you can hear dat lights camera action.

Overall, there's not really much for me to say; we have a team of people who really know what they're doing here. I have complete faith in the developers and after playing it I realise that there really is nothing to worry about.

• Thumbs Up 5

We don't know it yet, but all of my yes. Especially because they already "wasted" Sonic 1 with Green Hill for the hundred time... More love for Star Light, please, the original "city level" :)

What I'm most eager to know is how and why Sonic needs to go back to Little Planet, if a CD level is really in the game. He'll propably need Tails' help to get there with the Tornado. Possible Tornado level?

6 minutes ago, The Man On The Inside said:

-There was a blue ring monitor that I couldn't figure out what was for (idk if you guys know what it does tho)

That item is from Knuckles Chaotix actually. It's like a Super Ring item thing, if you get hit; you normally lose all your rings and and can only get a handful of them back. With that item, you can get Super Rings that a worth a good amount of rings when you get hit making it easier to get back all your rings.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, The Man On The Inside said:

For those unclear on how it works, you jump into the air using A and hold X to start a kind of mid-air rev.

Oh, is it neccessary to change from button A to X? I thought it was more like:

-Press jump button.

-While in the air, release the jump button (if not already), then press it again and hold it. You'll start air dashing.

*Where "jump button" is any button.

Had a wee thought about about the ratio between old and new levels. 

What if the final level was based on the Death Egg zone from S3&K...? Just narrowly making it more balanced towards revisited zones instead of new zones. :P 

But again I still think these revisited levels are definitely going to surprise a lot of fans!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ohhhh I see, Iizuka kept insisting that 2017 wasn't Generations 2... because Sonic Mania IS!

Naw I kid, I mean, I'm definitely in the grumbley "my disappointment at reimagined classics has been amplified a little" camp but I'm also not writing it off and am sitting eagerly awaiting what this "you won't be disappointed for long" comment entails.

But I will say unless it is SIGNIFICANTLY re-imagined I'd be disappointed if the game ended on a classic level.  And yet at the same time I am hoping the ratio allows the zones to go Classic -> New -> Classic -> New, etc, which would inevitably mean ending on a Classic one, hrm.  The confirmation of no unlockable Amy is a disappointment but that was a total pipe dream to begin with so no biggie.

I will say this - if they surprise us with some re-imagined levels from classic games other than the big four... i.e. any of the 8-bit games, I will be unashamedly biased since Sonic 1 and 2 8-bit is what I grew up on, and therefore have a raging nostalgia boner for, that will cause me to throw aside all reason and logic forming my current opinions and will praise the decision to feature re-imagined classic zones into the sunset and back.

• Thumbs Up 3

Can anyone tell me If the reimagined zones are similar to Sunset Hill zone or Neo Green Hill zone (in terms of similarity to GHZ). If so I'd be quite happy. They're both different enough from the original GHZ for them to be considered a new zones after all. I have a feeling that that's what Taxman and the others are aiming for. Or rather, that's what I hope for at least. 

2 minutes ago, Lucidream said:

Can anyone tell me If the reimagined zones are similar to Sunset Hill zone or Neo Green Hill zone (in terms of similarity to GHZ). If so I'd be quite happy. They're both different enough from the original GHZ for them to be considered a new zones after all. I have a feeling that that's what Taxman and the others are aiming for. Or rather, that's what I hope for at least. 

All we know so far is that Green Hill Zone is going to involve us visiting a vast underground lake beneath the original zone for part of Act 1 and possibly Act 2 (but Act 2 could go further into new territory, we haven't seen it yet), and that this underground twist is the tamest of all the changes made to classic zones.  The other classic zones will have much more exciting twists.