Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

2 minutes ago, Velvet Reindeer said:

With this in consideration, can we safely assume there is an east and north island?

Not really. The US has a Virginia and a West Virginia but no North, South, or East Virginias. Names are just weird sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, while they say South Island is constantly on the move, it could be called South because it mainly travels along the southern half of the planet. (Just a guess, of course)

• Thumbs Up 2

I got excited and downloaded that right away. It's not that good though, the physics are super floaty, I can't get the drop dash to work, the window size is crazy small, and there's resolution problems when I make it full screen.

Guess that's what I get for being impatient. Just gotta sit and wait for the real thing... sigh

holy crap thats almost unplayable, you have to move with the platforms in order to not fall down. but ye, at least somebody tried. still wating for someone to port it into a rom hack, that would be pretty neat.

Taxman just mentioned this over on Retro:

Actually, following on the remasters, Sonic Mania is using a new version of Retro-Engine and RSDK

Does that means that the older version couldn't handle the more-advanced graphics Mania has from the remasters? I don't remember there being any issues with the older version.

I'm really hoping Mania will be more accessible to me. Going back into Mega Collection to play these older games is not giving me very good results as to the idea of experiencing a fun time. When you reach the point to where you're forcing yourself to press on for the sake of completing it, what starts to dawn on you is that you're just not the kind of Sonic fan these games are for. And that makes me sad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I'm really hoping Mania will be more accessible to me. Going back into Mega Collection to play these older games is not giving me very good results as to the idea of experiencing a fun time. When you reach the point to where you're forcing yourself to press on for the sake of completing it, what starts to dawn on you is that you're just not the kind of Sonic fan these games are for. And that makes me sad. 

This is something I worry about too. Fortunately, Sonic Mania seems kinda similar to Sonic CD (which I hugely enjoyed), but I really didn't enjoy Sonic 2 much in my recent playthrough of it. In Sonic Generations 3DS, I didn't like the first 3 classic stages too much, and they were copy pastes. 

I loved the Rush and Advance series more than the classic series mostly. But it's starting to feel like the modern Sonic games are going to be put aside in favour of these classic games. 

2 hours ago, Lucidream said:

This is something I worry about too. Fortunately, Sonic Mania seems kinda similar to Sonic CD (which I hugely enjoyed), but I really didn't enjoy Sonic 2 much in my recent playthrough of it. In Sonic Generations 3DS, I didn't like the first 3 classic stages too much, and they were copy pastes. 

I loved the Rush and Advance series more than the classic series mostly. But it's starting to feel like the modern Sonic games are going to be put aside in favour of these classic games. 

Yeah. It doesn't even seem like Modern Sonic is going to be allowed to stand on his own for a bit, as even Sonic 2017 has Classic Sonic there. Generations was pretty fun and easy but I do worry about whether or not what I personally liked the most about Sonic will make a triumphant come back. I really hope I don't end up getting left in the dust. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, YoshiParty said:

Does that means that the older version couldn't handle the more-advanced graphics Mania has from the remasters? I don't remember there being any issues with the older version.

I'm pretty sure Taxman mentioned years go (before the mobile-remasters were developed) that the Retro-engine could replicate graphics and physics up to 32-bit. So the the engine could handle 32x/Saturn quality graphics. No doubt he's made some tweaks to the Retro-engine over the years. It's just an amazing piece of tech and Mania really does look the part.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, BenderTheBatman said:

I'm pretty sure Taxman mentioned years go (before the mobile-remasters were developed) that the Retro-engine could replicate graphics and physics up to 32-bit. So the the engine could handle 32x/Saturn quality graphics. No doubt he's made some tweaks to the Retro-engine over the years. It's just an amazing piece of tech and Mania really does look the part.

Yeah, definitely. Mania is really beautiful looking game so far, and I seen a lot of other games made on the engine that had nice aesthetics as well.

I wonder what's been changed in the new version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something I've kind of hoped to myself is that glide hopping sticks around. It's like, my favorite thing in the entire world so I just really hope it isn't deemed 'too broken' or something. You can gain an insane amount of height if you land on an enemy from high enough.

I swear to this day I can literally play any of the classics and just do this forever as I play through the levels. 

But yeah, I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. It's still in the Taxman & Stealth remakes of Sonic 1 and 2 if I remember right, so I'm sure it's fine. It's just that I can't bare the thought of not being able to do this now that Knuckles will finally be playable in a NEW game! 

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Bouncing from an enemy into a Glide to gain good decent height...something that was sorely missing from the Advance games.

Ever watch a knuckles speed run of sonic advance 2?

First post hype! 

Super hyped for this, Sonic 2 and 3&K are two of my favorite games of all time. Getting even something close to that is a dream come true. Taxman and Stealth are awesome guys and I completely trust them on this. All I want to know is, when do we get to see more?! I'm dying for another trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Bouncing from an enemy into a Glide to gain good decent height...something that was sorely missing from the Advance games.

Knuckles could always do this in the Advance games. 

soooo.... the sonic facebook page just posted a video.

https://youtu.be/7DYIEDrLQJ4

there is something hidden in there, at least the tumblr hashtags say the following:

#sonic mania #one frame #there is a special message to find - but its not here #maybe you can find... #more clues

sooo..happy searching?

39 minutes ago, FReaK said:

soooo.... the sonic facebook page just posted a video.

https://youtu.be/7DYIEDrLQJ4

there is something hidden in there, at least the tumblr hashtags say the following:

#sonic mania #one frame #there is a special message to find - but its not here #maybe you can find... #more clues

sooo..happy searching?

They mentioned there was a hidden message people hadn't found the last time they uploaded something, so I assume when they say "it's not here" they mean it's not in that video. 

...I'll go comb over it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really disappointing, it's to be expected. It's gonna be a while before we get any new level footage of Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

Knuckles could always do this in the Advance games. 

Okay, alright...I was too lazy to check at the time, cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, I'm hoping that not all the Mania zones will be revealed before release, and that might line up with there being no new footage to come for a while.  It's nice to have a few surprises.

• Thumbs Up 7