Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Just now, Azoo said:

The Drop Dash is literally that move from Sonic Lost World where you do the Spindash immediately after hitting the ground, isn't it.

This game is a dream come true. An absolute dream.

Was something like that in Lost World? I recall playing a fan-hack with a similar ability, except it made you jump shortly afterwards...making it sort of useless.

The drop dash looks like a lot of fun to use, especially for speed running :):D Do you think the peel-out will return?

• Thumbs Up 4

You know. At first I was slightly dissapointed because it wasn't a modern game.... But after watching the trailer a few more times...

Holy heavens. Classic Sonic is back and this game looks AMAZING. I'm actually really glad now that we're getting a new classic sonic game, 2d graphics and all! It looks really fun!

11 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Was something like that in Lost World? I recall playing a fan-hack with a similar ability, except it made you jump shortly afterwards...making it sort of useless.

Spindash and hold, jump, land, continue spindashing automatically. Of all of Lost World's botched mechanics, this one was actually really good.

• Thumbs Up 3

I will come back to read the rest of this topic tomorrow...

But for now I just wanna say that I'm VERY HYPED for this game! I and many others for ages have said for ages SEGA should start a separate Classic Sonic series branch. And it looks awesome!

However my only nitpick is the playable character cast... Only Sonic, Tails & Knuckles? Well it's better then nothing I admit. But I REALLY hope they have at least Amy as a hidden playable character or DLC later. And if they do any more classic Sonic games down the line... then at least i hope they do some others there... If they HAVE to stick to only classic characters then I say Metal-Sonic & Amy would be very fun to play as out of them IMO.

Honestly while I will be getting this is it really that exciting? Music is amazing but its just 2d sonic. Woo you can play as tails and knuckles...............we could do that in like 2- 3 and knuckles. But there have been fan made games of 2d sonic games even since the 90s ended so my excitement for the game is eh atm.

You know, the more I think about it, that 25th anniversary graphic of Classic, Modern, and Boom Sonic is starting to make more sense. 2 out of 3 of them have a game coming out soon and I'm starting to feel like Modern Sonic's due is more evident then not.

Honestly while I will be getting this is it really that exciting? Music is amazing but its just 2d sonic. Woo you can play as tails and knuckles...............we could do that in like 2- 3 and knuckles. But there have been fan made games of 2d sonic games even since the 90s ended so my excitement for the game is eh atm.

Got about 5 hours sleep-that's enough. I was actually dreaming that a new 3d Sonic game had been announced. Oh............oh............OH

I fucking called It!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Well, I didn't..... but I kept saying a new 2d game (thinking Sonic 1 remastered) was in the works, but this will do.....AND IT's COMING TO PLAYSTATION 4. Awesome. Gonna play and stream this game to death :wub:

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

It's an official, real, Classic Sonic game. So yes, it really is that exciting for people who have been yearning for that for years. And in addition to that, the fans have become the developers and the artists. It's brilliant on so many levels. Maybe it's not totally your thing, and that's coo.. But this is the holy grail for mem

I can kind of understand where the other guy is coming from though. With so many 2D fan games out there and the fact that the so-called 3D games that have been coming out are more 2D than 3D I can sort of see why something like this wouldn't be that special to some people in hindsight.

If this were a full 3D game then questioning how special the announcement is would have just been completely wrong. I haven't played a full 3D Sonic game since... I dunno, Black Knight?

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Yo!

Yo!

Yo!

I was just going on about how I hoped the Classic Fans had fun with this game. Then I start the video and that awesome Pyramid Cave remix plays and my heart melts. I may even shed some manly tears of happiness actually. That has a chance of happening now.

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Yo!

OH MY GOD ARE THOSE PROPER ROLLING PHYSICS???!!!!  :wub:

Great to see Team StealthTax working on this.

We always wanted Taxman to make a new 2d Sonic game and now our dream has come true (well mine has) :)

Also, good to see you on SSMB @Blue Blood

I wonder if the Metal Harbor song (you can hear playing) was in game music?? If only.......haha!

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I can kind of understand where the other guy is coming from though. With so many 2D fan games out there and the fact that the so-called 3D games that have been coming out are more 2D than 3D I can sort of see why something like this wouldn't be that special to some people in hindsight.

If this were a full 3D game then questioning how special the announcement is would have just been completely wrong. I haven't played a full 3D Sonic game since... I dunno, Black Knight?

Pretty much this. Not that I am not happy to see another game. I was born 89. Sonic was my first game. I grew up with each game all 25 years. But as stated above with so many fan games out there that look or even many times come close to nearly what this showed just cause sega slaps a sticker on it saying sega made this does not suddenly make it a 10/10. Regardless im sure it will be fun for a season its coming out in.

I get why it's not all that special to some people. For me, the real crux is that this is official. It's a SEGA product and it's a new Classic game that we know will be finished to the highest quality. Personally, I don't care how many great fan games their are, the important thing about this is that it's the real deal.

I'm purely speaking in terms of what people have been given access to really. Official or not, I wouldn't have cared if I had gotten something in all this time that catered to what I wanted. But I'm glad you guys are happy. 

I get why it's not all that special to some people. For me, the real crux is that this is official. It's a SEGA product and it's a new Classic game that we know will be finished to the highest quality. Personally, I don't care how many great fan games their are, the important thing about this is that it's the real deal.

I'm purely speaking in terms of what people have been given access to really. Official or not, I wouldn't have cared if I had gotten something in all this time that catered to what I wanted. But I'm glad you guys are happy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Soooo, the (tentative) NX logo was in the Project '17 trailer, but not here. I guess this actually isn't coming to it then?

• The topic was pinned

The fact that you can outrun the camera makes me so happy.

• Thumbs Up 4

A couple things...
1. people keep saying "I'm sure it'll come to NX" but Project 17 had an NX logo in the bottom and this did not.
2. drop dash looks sick and I'm curious to see what stages they touched
3. does this mean we're STILL not getting S3&K from Whitehead? It's the best 2D Sonic game by a mile but it often gets neglected in re-releases and collections :(
4. THANK YOU KNUCKLES IS PLAYABLE.
5. I hope this game is as long as S3&K and not as short as the Sonic 4 episodes.
6. I was disappointed with this at first as a Modern Sonic fan...now that Project 17 has been announced, I'm stoked for both games! 

Also, can someone get some screens of those headshots after the trailer says "3 playable characters?" I wanna do something with those but my print screen button is broken lol