Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

Hm, so who's that fancy-lookin Eggrobo on the posters in Mirage Saloon? A boss, maybe? I've noticed that the one at the end of the level has eyes that follow you.

Anyway the new stage looks pretty cool, an old west saloon is a pretty unique level theme and it looks to be mixing in some old desert ideas and a bit of pinball to spice it up. Knuckles and Tails are both looking good, though I'm not a huge fan of how pink they've made Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 5

I love Wild West themes, and Mirage Saloon knocks it out of the park. I love Knuckles's edge animations-- scratch that, I love Mania's animations in general. I also love how the enemy designs are different depending on the environment-- that's a design choice that I loved in Colors (and to some extent Gens) because it gives the zones a lot of character, and I was sad that Sonic Team didn't choose to continue that for Lost World.

2P in main Sonic levels! Oh wait, I don't have any IRL friends to play this with...

I'm actually not really into the Classic games, but Mania has really caught my eye and impressed me. I think I might get it if they decide to make it for the 3DS.

7 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

How do we know? Unless I missed it being mentioned in the video, only Mirage Saloon Act 2 is shown. 

Yeah, I was skipping around the footage and thought a part of Studiopolis I didn't recognize was Act 2, my bad.

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Hm, so who's that fancy-lookin Eggrobo on the posters in Mirage Saloon? A boss, maybe? I've noticed that the one at the end of the level has eyes that follow you.

Anyway the new stage looks pretty cool, an old west saloon is a pretty unique level theme and it looks to be mixing in some old desert ideas and a bit of pinball to spice it up. Knuckles and Tails are both looking good, though I'm not a huge fan of how pink they've made Knuckles.

I agree. Knuckles' sprite is a mix of the one in Sonic 3 and Knuckles' Chaotix, it seems, but it's just way too damn pink. I thought he was Super Knuckles for second. lol

I think they made Knuckles a bit pinkish to go with the saturated CMYK-y theme they're going for with the characters. I think it's alright.

6 minutes ago, SweeCrue said:

...I'm not the only one hearing the "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" theme am I?

You heard right!

• Thumbs Up 2

imo Knuckles' sprites here are the exact shade of pink he should be, and this should be reflected in the modern design too. The ball's in your court, Sonic Team!

Mirage Saloon looks really great. I love all the level-specific gimmicks we've been seeing, it really adds a lot of extra personality to the levels (which are already pretty charming, mind you).

• Thumbs Up 6

It's good to know that the drop dash takes more input and momentum to use at its full potential rather than being an instant boost.

• Thumbs Up 2

The new music definitely sounds good and on par with the other new tracks.  I will say though I'm going to try and intentionally avoid listening to this one if we get a clean rip.  If there are Act 1/2 mixes and they've used the Act 2 mix here as will be in the final game, I'd rather not get used to that version as the only version I know and have a weird thing where "Act 1" feels like the remixed version and "Act 2" the original.

The drop dash sounds like a really amazing idea! I'll quote them on how it works.

"It depends on your momentum. So if you are, you know, running through pretty fast It will be"

"Keep up with it?"

"Yea. It's meant to, when you need to get through a gap or something, and you're jumping through, it's meant to eliminate the stop and go"

So the drop dash allows Sonic to go fast for a longer period of time, even when platforming. That's pretty great. 

On 8/28/2016 at 4:29 PM, JingleBoy said:

Yeah, I loved Knuckles' ledge animation in the classics so I wonder what that'll look like with more detail and frames of animation.

Going to bring this up because the site put it in my message. The two new ledge animations for Knuckles look amazing, but there are a few issues I have with Knuckles in this game. 1. Knuckles is pink, it made sense in Chaotix since everyone was a different color and Mighty already had red taken. Here it just serves to separate him from his official art. 2. When Knuckles climbs up from a ledge he uses the Sonic 3 animation, which is just him standing up. Why not, if this is really meant to dazzle, use the Chaotix animation where he flips up onto the ledge? 

7 minutes ago, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

2. When Knuckles climbs up from a ledge he uses the Sonic 3 animation, which is just him standing up. Why not, if this is really meant to dazzle, use the Chaotix animation where he flips up onto the ledge? 

I mean, the game isn't complete yet technically. They could still be adding little additional animations like that for Knuckles and Tails. 

Rewatching it, Knuckles does actually have a smoove ledge animation where he climbs up over the ledge. I don't see how that's a problem, since it actually looks pretty good. 

70532891c17eb0af237f11b921a52675.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Absolutely adoring Mirage Saloon, especially the overall theme. Really love how they combined Sonic 2's Dust Hill and CD's Desert Dazzle and then took it a step further by giving it a Wild Western / Native American decor flavor. The disappearing sand loop, the water spray with the temporary platforms, the pianos, with the the cocked rotating gun you use to aim and shoot...just great stuff. The wanted poster cameos of Fang, Bark, and Bean (although not exactly new, see Generations).

The repurposed badniks are great too. That strange spying Eggrobo in the walls. The green Caterkiller hanging around the catcus, the more aggressive red Roller...this is how you take reusue something old and make it feel entirely fresh. The only complaint is the structure of level design, which looks a bit too incoherent and unfocused, a la some of Sonic CD's levels. Though I wouldn't be surprised if thatwas the intent here, considering how Desert Dazzle was originally intended for the re-release and --given the flickers and decorated bumpers-- looks to be a homage to Collision Chaos.

As for Tails and Knuckles, they both look great, visually and in-gameplay too. Animations in particular are very nice. Knuckles is a bit more pink than normal (looks closer to how he did in Chaotix than 3&K) but I'm not really fussed.

Absolutely torn on doing an intentional media blackout and seeing even more of the game (maybe just seeing another remixed old level, and then that's it). Really hoping it gets a retail release.

• Thumbs Up 6

I NEED not only a physical version but a  Nintendo Switch version of this. A new classic Sonic game on a CARTRIDGE?! I will buy that at a high price. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, new footage. That was unexpected.

Not gonna lie, I love how the new stage Mirage Saloon looks, and the music is awesome! Also, I love the animations for Tails and Knuckles. They're really nicely animated. Shame the drop dash is only available for Sonic, but ah well.

Hopefully, we'll get a new trailer soon, because of this.

I made a status earlier where I said it'd be neato if Bark, Bean, and Fang showed up as rival characters. I was mostly joking, but the wild wild west theme sure is a good fit for Fang though huh...

I can picture him now, busting through a wanted poster near the end of one of the Mirage Saloon acts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely love the new level and tails & knux. still a shame we haven't seen act 2 of green hill yet. I'm really curious to if there will be a remixed theme and I really want to see the first eggman fight.

I was expecting an actually pink shaded Knuckles, but it's barely there...I'm guessing there's some eye trickery going on or he's only really noticeably pinker on certain sprites. His back ledge animation being faster is great (no really long start-up) and his forward ledge animation is just like Sonic 2's...except faster.