Awoo.

Sonic Mania (August 15th 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

Ryannumber1gamer

On one hand, I've seen so many fangames over the years that it's kinda hard to get excited for this.

On the other, it's what I've wanted for years: a classic, OFFICIAL new 2D Sonic game being developed by a master of classic Sonic gameplay.

All in all...looks neat!

15 minutes ago, Wraith said:

New gameplay. You can hear the new remix of Green Hill!

Studiopolis sounds great, but I don't really like the boss music.

It's really no shocker, but the music is pretty fantastic. I'm getting Sonic 3 stand-alone vibes from that mini-boss music, that's probably my favorite piece from the video. Is good, yah.

Well, I can say the game is as fun as it looks.

I'm not even a big Classic fan but I loved Studiopolis. MAN.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oohh that soundtrack is sounding sooo good. Just like CD's, which is my favorite of the Classic Soundtracks, TBH.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay so full thoughts on this since I bitched about the other game already.

The visuals are perfect. The music, from what I heard so far, is far closer to how I want Sonic to sound than a lot of the other games, and the gameplay looks perfect. This is Sonic 4 as it should be.

The only thing I don't like is the remastered zones. Do we really need those? They even look a lot worse than the new ones a lot of the time which makes it kind of clash a little bit. Hoping they don't take up too much of the game. I want a full new classic game's worth of content at least.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Wraith said:

The only thing I don't like is the remastered zones. Do we really need those? They even look a lot worse than the new ones a lot of the time which makes it kind of clash a little bit. Hoping they don't take up too much of the game. I want a full new classic game's worth of content at least.

Interesting things to say about the remastered zones at least is that they're new in a lot of way. We've seen areas of Green Hill that were never explored in S1 and an entirely new boss. Plus it would appear that GHZ1 has the enhancements from the mobile port - there's a lightning shield on top of the loop, the same as in the mobile version with the S3K shields enabled. I'm interested to know the game's narrative will play out, and how the old stages will fit into it. It's really weird that they'd pull retro remasters for what's already a retro game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never grew up with classic sonic but this is actually looking good so far! 

That trailer music is epic.

(sent on phone)

The best surprise for me in this announcement is hearing Tee Lopes music. It hit me with Archie Comics staff, but this amplified it even more: It feels pretty awesome to see people you used to know as simply Sonic fans become professional Sonic fans working on official projects.

• Thumbs Up 2

The game looks great looking forward to playing it. I see a lot of people compare this to Mega Man 9 but reality I get more of a Rayman Origins vibe from it. It took what was established from it's predecessors and just went wild and expanded upon and and made it seem more modern. 

• Thumbs Up 1

While the fact that Christan Whitehead and Tee Lopes is on this is a good sign, I'm kind of with the camp that finds it hard to get excited with all the fan games and video games that were inspired by Sonic games of old that were released recently. It doesn't help that it remixes some old stages....again. But, I'm glad a lot of people are excited for it and it does look really good. Can't wait to play this and the new 3D Sonic.

Gotta say, going off this trailer I am very excited for this. Getting a new official sprite game of any kind is always a joy to see and seeing it made by people who whole-heartily care about the classic titles is icing on the cake. If the opening title has anything to say about the quality of the animations in this game then I'm even more on board.

Though, I can't say I'm a fan of reusing levels like Green Hills again in this setting. I mean, at least in other games they had the excuse of bringing a classic level into modern day rendering engines but here... the only changes most people will see are a few differences in level layouts and animations. It also makes this entire package seem like another glorified sonic genesis level collection or something. Not to mention further blur itself in with the literal hundreds of rom hacks and fan made games already out there.

Can't wait to play through this and see how it is though. Add in the bumping music and I'm already sold.

This is so Sonic CD like, I love it. Green Hill seems to be a 1-1 remake in terms of the level layout, but I guess what was cut is an extension of original level design before the boss. 

While I don't like the idea of them reusing stages, either, it's been said that the reused levels will be "reimagined."  So if the levels are remade in a unique enough way, then I won't be too salty about seeing them again.

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks incredible. I love the art style. I love how colorful everything is. I love how blue Sonic is. I'm so happy to see Knuckles and Tails playable.

And the music is amazing. It reminds me a lot of JPN Sonic CD, which is right up there is Rush as my favorite soundtracks of the series.

I gotta say though, if this doesn't come to NX, I'll be really sad. I don't wanna have to buy a PsS4 (Play Sonic Station 4) just for this. Because I know just like my PS3, I'm only gonna play Sonic games on it. I got a PS3 back in 2007 just for 06 guys.

Sucks being a nintendo person 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah that mini boss fight in the GH footage looks incredibly cool. I like the boss music.

Iizuka: "Well, classic fans you got what you wanted - a new StealthTaxPoga classic game - now shut up and stop annoying me!"

Yeah, um Iizuka just so you know we'll want Mania 2 for the 30th annivesary :P

I wonder if this will make it to mobile devices, eventually? Not that it needs to. The main thing is it will be on consoles.

Very excitied and not too long to wait.

Here's some video I took of Studiopolis:

https://youtu.be/VjfeKd-vSD4

I liked the game, it feels like a sequel to Sonic CD in its presentation and level design. The physics are of course 10/10 with the classic games.

I think my only complaints are that it still feels a little bit amateurish and (other than Sonic’s new move) it doesn't really push the boundaries of the classic formula . I wished I had a better word to describe what I mean but sometimes it lacks that "pop" that the classic trilogy and CD have. 

I can't wait till it comes out though.

• Thumbs Up 4

About time.

Now this is what a 2D Sonic game should look like. A game that emulates the physics and level-design philosophy of the actual Genesis games! I'm honestly surprised it took Sega this long.

I'm stoked. I seriously can't wait to have another Genesis-style game, after all these years. Everyone, make way for the real Sonic 4.

I'm glad the graphics look like classic sonic but are given a squeaky clean updates to be given a popping fresh, amazingly vibrant  look instead of that awful paint job 4 was given.. 

Im sorry if I keep slamming on 4 but it's so easy and it's so embarrassing how bad this game makes it look 

Oh and the music is fucking tits

Just now, Soniman said:

I'm glad the graphics look like classic sonic but are given a squeaky clean updates to be given a popping fresh, amazingly vibrant  look instead of that awful paint job 4 was given.. 

Im sorry if I keep slamming on 4 but it's so easy and it's so embarrassing how bad this game makes it look 

Oh and the music is fucking tits

Considering that the game wasn't even going to be called sonic 4 and they just slapped the name on it so it can sell it's justified.

• Thumbs Up 1