Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (Summer 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

4514 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Jango said:

Again with the absolute truth posts. Could you try to be *more* obnoxious?

I'm not seeing how any of that was obnoxious. He's just being correct. This is obnoxious:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Drumming up a new level from scratch won't happen in a few months time. Maybe if the game was delayed until October, maybe you could expect another full-blown level, maybe even two if one or both are remixed levels! But that's not something you tack-on with a few months dev time. Levels are planned out before the real work begins. This would've been ironed out during the conceptual phase of the game. It's one thing to be hopeful, it's another thing to be impractical.

Gemster312, FFWF, Nightly and 4 others like this

I think a level that couldn't have been finished by the old release date could be finished now, but I don't think any full blown new content would be developed in this late stage. Not like we'd know what stuff they added either way until they tell us.

Either way, expect a better game because of the delay. 

Soni, lbyrd2, King Koopone and 5 others like this

Yeah, JezMM, Blue Blood, Josh and Indigo all have the right idea. The delay will be to iron-out bugs/glitches. Way too late to add a new level with the game being so close to it's now "Summer" release window.

The delay is well worth it of course. Having a bit more time to polish it up could mean the different between 9/10 or 10/10's review scores instead of 7 or 8's.

Make no mistake, Mania is gonna have a shit-ton of content; based on what they've shown, teased (the Blue-sphere special stages being added as a bonus feature perhaps) and the kind of additional content like time-attack mode & boss-rush we got in the mobile remasters. I'm confident Mania is gonna have at least 14 or 15 zones which feels like more than enough level content. One things for certain, Mania is gonna have a lot more content than the original classic games did.

Blue Blood and Psychicmoose103 like this

I've been trying to keep my expectations low and expect 8-10 zones but it could just as easily be more than that if they want to go all out. 

I've got my fingers crossed that they'll make new levels as dlc in the months after Mania's release. It'd be nice to see since that was such a missed opportunity when Generations came out, although I'm not getting my hopes up that it'll happen.

If they don't maybe they'll save whatever concepts didn't make the cut for a sequel. Here's hoping.

The delay being because they wanted to add in a new zone? Eh. I don't see it happening. Speaking of which, I keep forgetting that we've already seen Studiopolis Act 2 already, that is, at least a bit of it.sonic-mania-600x332.jpg

15 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The delay being because they wanted to add in a new zone? Eh. I don't see it happening. Speaking of which, I keep forgetting that we've already seen Studiopolis Act 2 already, that is, at least a bit of it.sonic-mania-600x332.jpg

We've seen it since the reveal, which means Studiopolis has been completely done for about 7 months now.

So what are you guys doing to cope with the wait for Sonic Mania? I went out and got this in the meantime:

20170324_155945.thumb.jpg.bb550fbee16d496029c7aee49a3d714b.jpg

I know you can get the rom free over at Sonic Retro but it feels so good being able to play this on an actual Genesis. Speaking of which I still need to get a usb adapter for a Genesis controller for when Mania comes out.

3 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

So what are you guys doing to cope with the wait for Sonic Mania? I went out and got this in the meantime:

20170324_155945.thumb.jpg.bb550fbee16d496029c7aee49a3d714b.jpg

I know you can get the rom free over at Sonic Retro but it feels so good being able to play this on an actual Genesis. Speaking of which I still need to get a usb adapter for a Genesis controller for when Mania comes out.

Sonic 3 Complete is very special indeed!  It opens up what resolvable limits remained in the game.  To me it feels like, though maybe isn't in any logical way, one of several true predecessors to Mania, along with the remastered official games of course!! 

The peel out is really welcome in most of these zones.

Although it is uniquely improved; the programming/mechanics are different from Sonic CD in that if Sonic is on a slope and have enough upward momentum, it can be revved up, allowing interesting climbing possibilities for example in Marble Garden.  The appearance is as though Sonic has just been able to stop, but if he is on foot already, it would follow that he could quickly run in place very fast in order to hold on to the slope! 

Overall it just feels natural to sometimes build up a supercharged run rather than a spin, to soar through many of the zones' sequences of fast areas!  ^_^^_^   And that is only just one of the smallest edits among all that are included!