Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (Summer 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

5222 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid with that screeching sine synth this time

Man, does that sound bad, I never heard it before! I wish I could unhear it.

Cyrus likes this

21 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid with that screeching saw synth this time

Reminds me of olden day carnival organ music. Not the best, but different in a good way.

I just noticed this on the jap website

6bfaBNJ.png

R8Dpqwu.png

Is anybody able to translate that? Are they confirming those zones too? Why are they even there in the first place. You could say they're all first levels from Sonic games, but then how do you explain Chemical Plant?

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

I just noticed this on the jap website

6bfaBNJ.png

R8Dpqwu.png

Is anybody able to translate that? Are they confirming those zones too? Why are they even there in the first place. You could say they're all first levels from Sonic games, but then how do you explain Chemical Plant?

I can't translate, but I am MORE than certain that they would not include:

Green Hill, Palmtree Panic, Angel Island, AND Mushroom Hill Zone.

Too many green zones. Also, they are all too easy of zones.

Not sure why they chose Chemical Plant zone there, maybe it's the most iconic sonic 2 zone that even casual fans could recognize?

10 hours ago, -Ace- said:

From what I can hear GHZ act 2 is sounding cleeeeeean!

Did y'all spot the sparkles????

58f10f719a163_ScreenShot2017-04-14at10_59_21AM.thumb.png.8b38ca5ccb9113d6c43d1ad7d4e42e52.png

1 hour ago, Gemster312 said:

Also, they are all too easy of zones.

Just out of curiosity... should that even matter? If Mania is re-doing the content of each of its reused stages, there is noting to say that they can't build a Palmtree Panic with a difficulty spike x 100.

... that being said, what if Palmtree Panic ends up as the final stage for this game? Its proximity to Never Lake might help explain some of the shenanigans with the past stages returning and it would scratch that "make GHZ the final stage" itch that I see crop up every now and then. 

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Just out of curiosity... should that even matter? If Mania is re-doing the content of each of its reused stages, there is noting to say that they can't build a Palmtree Panic with a difficulty spike x 100.

From what we have seen it appears that the original stage layout greatly influences the act one layout of the Mania version, so I guess that the original's difficulty is somewhat relevant to the difficulty of the Mania version.

Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

... that being said, what if Palmtree Panic ends up as the final stage for this game? Its proximity to Never Lake might help explain some of the shenanigans with the past stages returning and it would scratch that "make GHZ the final stage" itch that I see crop up every now and then. 

Honestly never thought of it like that haha

Regardless, I do feel like a "light-hearted" happy sunshine palmtree-like stage would be an awful setting for a final stage.

Like, I get it, it would be funny to have the "happiest looking stage be the hardest", but it wouldn't fit well with the whole aspect of the game having to lead up to something more intense. Like Sonic 1, it starts at Green Hill (happy), end in Scrap Brain (dark/evil). Sonic 2, it starts in Emerald Hill (happy), end in Metropolis/Death Egg (dark/evil). Sonic 3, it starts in Angel Island (happy), end in Death Egg (dark/evil). It's like a progression towards Eggman.

In my opinion it should have the same build up, to a final epic boss battle in the death egg or someplace Eggman built. Not a little summer resort.

But its a cute idea :)

I don't think it's going to happen, but I could see the last level - one immediately following the typical Eggman base finale - being like a standard first zone, but with Eggman's fleeing mech soaring over it, constantly spewing smoke and firing missiles which leave destruction in their wake.  The high stakes between Sonic and Eggman are right there for you to see on-screen.  It might even be more like Doomsday Zone, gameplay-wise; a sort of epilogue or coda.

Gabe, Celestia, Auroxen and 3 others like this

12 minutes ago, Auroxen said:

From what we have seen it appears that the original stage layout greatly influences the act one layout of the Mania version, so I guess that the original's difficulty is somewhat relevant to the difficulty of the Mania version.

Ah, good point.

10 minutes ago, Gemster312 said:

In my opinion it should have the same build up, to a final epic boss battle in the death egg or someplace Eggman built. Not a little summer resort.

But its a cute idea :)

s3-aiz-point6img2.png.fcf3ee4cb185db667d1623e094bc82b3.png

Problem Solved?

Seriously though. I think a GHZ stage where you race through the fallout of some kind of doomsday weapon that you just shot down from orbit would be a blast. That or you could go right for the feels and have the lead up to the final showdown be a jog through the smoking crater of the remains of the most iconic stage in the series.

Now THAT would be a GHZ to remember.

FFWF likes this

How about this?

The final zone is actually Scrap Brain, the final boss taking place where it all began...

With the Whitehead teams creativity, it makes me shudder in excitement thinking what they could do with the concept of the original final boss mixed with whatever original/new things included.

Perhaps chasing Robotnik down a corridor full of crushing pillars while he fires at you?

I dunno... Either way I'm up for Scrap Brain being the final stage.

FFWF likes this

12 hours ago, -Ace- said:

From what I can hear GHZ act 2 is sounding cleeeeeean!

It's weird to say this is my favorite level shown so far but damn, they've added so much new shit it feels like a different zone, and that REMIX holy shit. Can't wait to hear it in HQ

Nightly likes this

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Seriously though. I think a GHZ stage where you race through the fallout of some kind of doomsday weapon that you just shot down from orbit would be a blast. That or you could go right for the feels and have the lead up to the final showdown be a jog through the smoking crater of the remains of the most iconic stage in the series.

Now THAT would be a GHZ to remember.

Now that you make me think about it, it would be really cool having Eggman building his new base of operation near or into a Green Hill-like zone (or into Green Hill itself).
It would make for a really cool second-to-last zone, where you see the effects of pollution and other problems that this station would create in this natural zone.

Or heck you could also have Death Egg falling on top of Green Hill and devastating it.

The idea of a ruined natural zone before the end is really cool and it's a shame it hasn't been used yet, it could really show the effects of Eggman's actions.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

How about this?

The final zone is actually Scrap Brain, the final boss taking place where it all began...

With the Whitehead teams creativity, it makes me shudder in excitement thinking what they could do with the concept of the original final boss mixed with whatever original/new things included.

Perhaps chasing Robotnik down a corridor full of crushing pillars while he fires at you?

I dunno... Either way I'm up for Scrap Brain being the final stage.

I would also love to see Scrap Brain brought back as the final zone, it's what I've been hoping since the announcement of the game.
It helps that I love Scrap Brain both in music and aesthetic while I find Metropolis zone greatly overrated.
Also with Green Hill as the (presumably) first zone it would only make sense to have Scrap Brain as the last.
And yeah I'm sure the Whitehead team would do nothing short of an amazing final level.
I also think it fits perfectly with the two acts system, as the original as the first two act very different and the third as a Labyrinth clone so it can be ignored.

So yeah let's hope they'll do that.

18 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Screenshot_20170414-201404.thumb.png.face9686cedc143139f2b8bae563a1e3.png

I don't know why but this translation physically brought a smile to my face

"...which is the origin of the 'Sonic...'" Oh lawdy. "With action and gimmick I have not seen before," has to be the best poorly translated marketing blurb to ever grace this franchise. If Mania gets a physical release Sega should have this printed on an alternative "Japanese style" cover for authenticity's sake. 

9 minutes ago, TailsMania said:

Latest tweet from Naoto:

I've posted the tweet in this topic because; maybe it's just a coincidence but over the last few days Naoto has been tweeting cells from the Sonic CD animated cutscenes and at the same time we get this:

1c2.gif

Coincidence or deliberate?! Maybe Naoto is in on it! He was trying to tell us all along :D

Regardless, this Hard Boiled Heavy animation looks so good and lots of HBH boss and Eggman boss animations would look fantastic for Mania. 

Another thing this proves, this is clearly mirage saloon heavy, with the head fin and scarf type thing (The shoes even match the shadow's shoes)

This means that the shadow cape belongs to him.

Another thing that leads to this being somewhat offical, beside this being taken down, is that how would this person know very accurate details of the heavy without them being given.

Does this mean Mirage Saloon Heavy will shoot lasers and fly in his boss fight?

I think this won't be Mirage Saloon's heavy, I think it'll be like the leader of the group.

As it has been pointed out pages before (i'm lurking in this post since it was created in July lol) his portrait is in the zone's second Act which would mean that he's already been destroyed by that point if he really is fought in that zone (the heavies are Act 1 bosses).

So MAYBE, if the animation is real, we can use the background sketches to guess one of the final zones of the game (because if it really is the leader he will likely be fought near the end).

FFWF likes this

3 minutes ago, Auroxen said:

I think this won't be Mirage Saloon's heavy, I think it'll be like the leader of the group.

As it has been pointed out pages before (i'm lurking in this post since it was created in July lol) he's portrait is in the zone's second Act which would mean that he's already been destroyed by that point if he really is fought in that zone (the heavies are Act 1 bosses).

Actually, it has not been stated whether or not the HBH will be bosses of the second acts. All Iizuka has said is that they'll be the bosses of the new stages.