Ryannumber1gamer

Sonic Mania (Summer 2017, Christian Whitehead, PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch) - The New Classic

5222 posts in this topic

The only reason I would disapprove of No Save mode is if it's the only way to unlock level select like in the remasters. That was just inexcusable.

4 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

The only reason I would disapprove of No Save mode is if it's the only way to unlock level select like in the remasters. That was just inexcusable.

I didn't know that (never played the remasters apart from Sonic CD years ago) but I doubt they'd make this decision again for Sonic Mania, it'd be dumb and so far the decisions made in Mania have been pretty much all good (even the returning zones have been handled awesomely).
It'll probably be unlocked once the game is finished once, independently of if it's completed with or without saving.

6 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

'No save mode' is the only way to activate cheats. You can access the levels as Indigo said. The feature wasn't always present in S1, but it was in S2 and eventually got patched into S1. CD is the only one that doesn't have a standard level select, which I'll agree is a nuisance because it locks you at MM3 upon completion.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

'No save mode' is the only way to activate cheats. You can access the levels as Indigo said. The feature wasn't always present in S1, but it was in S2 and eventually got patched into S1. CD is the only one that doesn't have a standard level select, which I'll agree is a nuisance because it locks you at MM3 upon completion.

The only way to to unlock level-select in the 2011 version of CD is to beat all time attack stages (normal & special stages) within a certain time.

The only reason CD wasn't patched like Sonic 1 is because it was made on a much older version of the Retro engine.

Is there any character you're hyped to see with a new sprite?

I'm really hyped to see Super Sonic new's sprite.
I'm especially curious to see if it'll have black or green eyes, I'm guessing black because the sprites are more based on Sonic 2 and Classic Super Sonic artworks from what I know have never had green eyes, not even Sonic 3 & Knuckles' ones.
I also want to see what shade of yellow they'll use.

Another sprite I really wanna see is Eggman's of course, the fact that they have been carefully avoiding showing him really raises my hype.
Eggman has the best sprites in the classics imho and I really wanna see how he'll look here, who knows maybe they'll even take inspiration from his sprites in Knuckles' Chaotix.

Well, I for one will do a no save run first with all 3 characters before I begin saving my game. I want this to be as much like the old days as possible. I can't freaking wait.

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

For me, it'll be a Knuckles run first of all. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if the characters have to be unlocked. Knuckles has always been my favourite, so he gets top billing, no question. 

Knuckles is my favorite, but I'll prob do Sonic and Tails first. 

I wonder if playing as Knuckles will change the zones order, like a story mode for each character. Different pathways and start points within the same zone are confirmed tho'.

Psychicmoose103 and Joy like this

59 minutes ago, Jango said:

I wonder if playing as Knuckles will change the zones order, like a story mode for each character. Different pathways and start points within the same zone are confirmed tho'.

I'd love it if the order change could in some way be subtly influenced by the opposite character's storyline. Say Sonic & Tails get shot at while crossing a bridge in a zone transition out of Studiopolis, the followup zone would be different for Knuckles if he arrives later because that same bridge is blown out. 

I don't mean they'd literally keep showing him running into dead ends but once you've played both the S&T/ S or T solo and the Knuckles stories you'd be able to see what causes their zone orders to be different.

34 minutes ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

Knuckles is my favorite, but I'll prob do Sonic and Tails first. 

Tails is my favorite but I'm gonna do a Sonic & Tails playthrough first because they were the proper "canon" playthrough for Sonic 2 and 3&K. Then I'll play with foxboy, Knux and finally Sonic solo.

20 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'd imagine Knuckles will visit zones in the same order as Sonic & Tails. Whether he'll visit all the same zones is another matter (hope he does). Of course we don't yet if Knuckles story will be the same or different from Sonic & Tails.

I'd only want to see that on acts where knuckles gets a unique route I feel. It's a cool idea but I don't want a situation like Sonic Rush where the zone order varies but there are no modifications to give the same difficulty curve as the regular order.

20 minutes ago, TailsMania said:

Tails is my favorite but I'm gonna do a Sonic & Tails playthrough first because they were the proper "canon" playthrough for Sonic 2 and 3&K. Then I'll play with foxboy, Knux and finally Sonic solo.

I'd imagine Knuckles will visit zones in the same order as Sonic & Tails. Whether he'll visit all the same zones is another matter (hope he does). Of course we don't yet if Knuckles story will be the same or different from Sonic & Tails.

We know it'll be at least a little different from Sonic and Tails. Egg Robo is the boss for Knuckles' stages, meaning his dumb ass got duped again. 

That's not at all what that would mean...

Knuckles getting tricked in Sonic 3 had nothing to do with a random Egg Robo surviving and attacking him (His story is after Sonic and Tails leave). So that wouldn't be the case here either.

I could see a situation where Knuckles perhaps sees Metal Sonic swooping by as a blue blur stealing his emerowdz, and Knux confronting Sonic like, "dude what the heck I thought we were cool."

If Mania takes place right after S&K, It'd probably work just fine, but it'd make the misunderstanding in Sonic Adventure even more stupid.

Assuming canon even matters. Which at this rate, nah.

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That's not at all what that would mean...

Knuckles getting tricked in Sonic 3 had nothing to do with a random Egg Robo surviving and attacking him (His story is after Sonic and Tails leave). So that wouldn't be the case here either.

I don't believe we know that for sure, yet though. They've said next to nothing about the story. I'm assuming the Egg Robo being there means there has to be something different going on though. Not only that, but Knuckles is already confirmed to start at a different point in some stages. 

Wait, WHAT?

EDIT: They took it down, it said that the levels on the Mania japanese website were confirmed.

3 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Not like GXplain to drop the ball, but yeah. 

Yeah that's exactly why I was really surprised at the video, it really seemed strange to me that they'd make such a trivial error and I wanted to see if you guys knew something I was missing.

I am relieved that the video is incorrect, it'd have been a real shame to have so many green levels.

EDIT: Now they took it down, they realized the mistake.

4 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Wait, what did i miss?

People took a parody news account seriously, don't worry about it